Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Updates as they come in on Katrina

7:59 P.M. - Mayor Nagin: Pumps at 17th street canal has failed and water will continue pouring into the city. Nine feet of water is expected on St. Charles Avenue that will be nine feet high. Water is expected to spread throughout the east bank of Orleans and possibly Jefferson Parish.

6:41 P.M. - Efforts to stop the levee break at the 17th Street Canal have ended unsuccessfully and the water is expected to soon overwhelm the pumps in that area, allowing water to pour into the east bank of Metairie and Orleans to an expected height of 12-15 feet.

6:03 P.M. - N.O. Councilman Oliver Thomas: "What you see on TV, you have no idea what the level of devastation and frustration is on the street."

5:57 P.M. - Jeff Parish schools chief Dianne Roussel says two months is probably "optimistic" to get schools back and functioning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is very hard to find a ray of light in all this mess. So many displaced souls. So much loss. So much unknowing.

I truly do hope your family and friends are ok down in Baton Rouge. I wish everyone's was. That city may never be the same.

Prayers and blessings always.

Trée said...

Agnes, it is so very tough. New Orleans, not to overstate the case, but I don't think the city will ever be the same again.

Anonymous said...

This whole thing makes me absolutely sick. :-( I only hope that people will be as dedicated to supporting this cause as they were to the tsunami efforts, because the devastation is at least equivalent (from my perspective I feel that it is worse, but that is my opinion only).

Anonymous said...

I know they don't show all the horror, because most of it is internal, seeing people you love die, and you home being washed away. This all makes my heart ache for them.