Monday, August 15, 2005

To the Children (Part 2)

This is an often told and often circulated story. Still, every time I read it, it touches a place in my heart from whence I know not where.

We crunch molecules for these little souls and if I ever forget why, I just re-read the story below and all is clear again. For the love--enjoy.


A farmer had some puppies he needed to sell. He painted a sign advertising the 4 pups, and set about nailing it to a post on the edge of his yard. As he was driving the last nail into the post, he felt a tug on his overalls. He looked down into the eyes of a little boy.

"Mister," he said, "I want to buy one of your puppies."

"Well," said the farmer, as he rubbed the sweat off the back of his neck, "These puppies come from fine parents and cost a good deal of money."

The boy dropped his head for a moment. Then reaching deep into his pocket, he pulled out a handful of change and held it up to the farmer.

"I've got thirty-nine cents. Is that enough to take a look?"

"Sure," said the farmer. And with that he let out a whistle.

"Here, Dolly!" he called. Out from the doghouse and down the ramp ran Dolly followed by four little balls of fur.

The little boy pressed his face against the chain link fence. His eyes danced with delight. As the dogs made their way to the fence, the little boy noticed something else stirring inside the doghouse.

Slowly another little ball appeared, this one noticeably smaller. Down the ramp it slid. Then in a somewhat awkward manner, the little pup began hobbling toward the others, doing its best to catch up....

"I want that one," the little boy said, pointing to the runt. The farmer knelt down at the boy's side and said, "Son, you don't want that puppy. He will never be able to run and play with you like these other dogs would."

With that the little boy stepped back from the fence, reached down, and began rolling up one leg of his trousers.

In doing so he revealed a steel brace running down both sides of his leg attaching itself to a specially made shoe.

Looking back up at the farmer, he said, "You see sir, I don't run too well myself, and he will need someone who understands."

With tears in his eyes, the farmer reached down
and picked up the little pup. Holding it carefully he handed it to the little boy.

"How much?" asked the little boy. "No charge," answered the farmer, "There's no charge for love."

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Muito bonito:)

Trée said...

Obrigado, Wind. Beijos!

Anonymous said...

"he will need someone who understands."
Perfect story.

Trée said...

Autumn, I've read this story a hundred times, and every time I get to that line I feel the same surge of emotion. That one line says so much, is so touching and the little boy's response is not bitterness or anger or resentment or a need to take it out on somebody or something. Instead, what comes out of the little boy is compassion and love, a desire to give, to understand.

If there was one story I would carry in my wallet, it would be this one. Love it to pieces.

Oh, to have had at any age the heart of that young boy. We can dream can't we. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the story. I too feel like I am limping a little but have found the kindness of others this week amazing and uplifting. I will keep this story. Thanks for your support as well.
Karen

Trée said...

Karen, you are more than welcome. Glad you enjoyed the story, as you can tell it's one of my favorites. Take care and let us know how your recovery progresses.

Anonymous said...

Damn, now you got me crying at work!

Anonymous said...

Oh! How I love this story. It is
the first time I heard it and it
went straight to my heart.

Thanks for posting it and if you
have more of this sort, let us know.

Marie

Anonymous said...

aww this broke my heart...truly inspirational Tre!

Thanks!!
Keshi.

Anonymous said...

A incrível beleza que vem de dentro, que exala pelos poros...O belo está no coração de quem ama....no sorriso franco de uma criança...
Beijos e boa noite!

Trée said...

Eliane, eu sou imprimido sempre com a poesia de seus pensamentos -- bonitos. Eu devo aprender o português de modo que eu possa inteiramente apreciar suas escritas. Beijos.

Keshi, since I posted this story this morning I've read it perhaps ten more times. And still, every time I read it, the story moves me. Glad you enjoyed it too.

Anonymous said...

It often takes someone else in the same predicament to understand another.
If the little boy was well and healthy, he might not have noticed the little puppy.
Sometimes, all it takes is a little willingness to open our eyes and minds to those different from us.

Trée said...

Saffron, well said my friend.

Anonymous said...

Very heartwarming story. Nice of you to share!

Trée said...

Venturous, more than happy to share. Glad you enjoyed it too. Just read your post on Dana Reeve--very well done my friend.

Anonymous said...

I read this for the first time when visiting your site for the first time today (thanks for commenting on my site). This post made me tear up and smile at the same time.

I plan to read all about what you are doing and see if I can help in some way. As a childhood cancer survivor (30 years cancer free now)I applaud your efforts.

Trée said...

Michelle, thanks so much for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed the story. It has the same effect on me.

30 year survivor--that is fantastic. If you have any questions about our team don't hesitate to email me. We are always looking for more great folks in the fight against this terrible disease.

My father died from cancer of the stomach eight months ago. I was with him at the final doctor visit when we were told there was nothing medical science could do for him other than to give pain medicine and call hospice. A memory I will never forget. Thanks again for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I may print it out and carry it with me also.
Rare are those, that always do the right thing/always push forward/always search for ways to help/always look for ways to grow/always work towards being a better person - most of us need reminding every once in a while.
Trée, you are an inspiration!

Trée said...

. . .pinches self then checks mirror to see if it's still me . . . lol

Wow, to be seen as inspiring twice in one night. Autumn, I can't tell you how nice those words are to see. Very much appreciated my dear friend.

Anonymous said...

Now that is Love

Anonymous said...

Trée, I also enjoyed that great story!

Michelle, a 30 year cancer survivor? Talk about inspiration!


JC

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. Actually I can relate to it quite well.

I lived in a shelter for a long time and nobody wanted to adopt me because I don't want to be touched.
Unfortunately people only care for pets they can hold.

But then came My human and she understood I am precious too. She adopted me and allows me to be myself and loves me just the way I am!

Purrs, Miss Vieno