Monday, April 30, 2007

Fighting Disease with our Computers: Please consider joining us


As many of you know, I've been using my computer to crunch molecules with Oxford for the last two years on The Grid. The project there has concluded. The good news is there are many more projects we can put our computer resources to work on and several of them can be found at the World Community Grid such as:

Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy Project
Genome Comparison Project
Help Defeat Cancer Project
Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 Project
FightAIDS@Home Project
How Grid Computing Works


If you believe in putting your spare cpu cycles to good use, please consider joining team Bravo on the WCG. We started Bravo today. Autumn was the first to join. Any and all are welcome to work with us and many, many more around the world in doing what we can to support research. The project works with either PCs or Macs, so all my Apple friends, you've got no reason not to join us now.

To get started requires just two steps and less than five minutes of your time. Download the agent and then join team Bravo. That's it. Your computer will do everything else just like a screensaver, which is to say, it only processes data when you are not. I've been crunching molecules with more than 10 computers with a total cpu time that exceeds 20 years and I've had zero problems running the program on my desktops and laptops. Please consider joining us in a cause that will cost you no time and no money but with the promise of making a difference in the lives of your children (and maybe even us) with the research we support today.



Download the Agent HERE

Then join team Bravo HERE


11 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Though I like the idea of being alone with you, here's to hoping we will have plenty of company soon. :-)
Such wonderful causes and such an effortless way to help. Thank you for the opportunity, I'd not have known about it otherwise.



Sweet dreams when you get that far, x

Trée said...

Thank you Sweetest. I like a woman who walks her talk and you've been doing it for almost two years now. A toast to new beginnings and to Team Bravo. Papa would be proud. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

Absolutely, a toast to Bravo and to many results returned. Cheers, big ears. ;-)

CozyMama said...

sounds great, will have to come back when I am at home, work may frown upon it. but I will be back in a few days from home. take care.

Trée said...

Jodes, that is great news! Travel safe and hurry home. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask either Autumn or myself. We'd love to have you on Team Bravo. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
What are the pre-requisites for joining Team Bravo etc?...if i may ask?

Thanks in advance

(*_*)

U
Any geographical limitations?

Trée said...

Uma, all anyone needs is a computer and an internet connection. There are no geographical limitations. My last team had members from close to thirty different countries, all crunching data in support of cancer research. This team (Bravo) has several projects members can choose to work on. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We would love to have you join Bravo if you decide it is something you would like to do. Thanks for asking Uma. :-)

Kiley said...

Cool, stuff, I just signed on to Team Bravo shortly ago!

Take care,

*hugs*

K.

Trée said...

Kiley, welcome to Team Bravo! I remember almost two years ago you said that if the project ever allowed a Mac to run it that you would join. Now here we are and true to your word, you did. Makes me smile with joy.

Thanks for the major plug on your blog. With a little luck, perhaps, a few more will devote those idle resources to research.

Thank you Kiley! :-)

Kiley said...

No, Trée, I thank YOU for letting me know!!! This is something I'm so thrilled is finally able to run on a Mac, and I do hope that Team Bravo grows!!!

Later,
K.

Trée said...

Kiley, we are now up to 15 mates and I think and hope a few more are on the way soon. I do deeply appreciate your post today and the new members it is generating. :-)