Tuesday, April 24, 2007

267. The Fall of Em


K
yra rubbed her burning eyes with the back of her hand as cesious smoke hung silently in the cold bay, the vestige of violence paid. What once was threat was done. What once was three more days was rendered down to one.

"Von, I'd ask you what this was, but I know you don't know anymore than I do and I suspect you care even less."

Von just stared. Kyra wondered for a second why he didn't answer her. Then she realized he wasn't looking at her, probably wasn't even listening to her. Turning to the left, she caught sight of Em, las canon in her arms, the full weigh pulling her shoulders down as a small trickle of blood ran from her nose and over her lip. She just stood there as if her legs were pinned to the floor with no expression on her face as first one drop and then another escaped to the floor.

The thud, when she fell forward, was as cow struck by carnifax. The weight just fell, hard. The sound was not a sound as much as it was an indelible memory, a moment forever linked not to what was seen without but what was felt, or as in this case, not felt within.

Neither Kyra nor Von moved and Kyra mulled the inaction. Why did she not immediately run to Em’s aid? Why was she just standing there, watching Em's limp body, crumbled by Janus only knows what? Yet, she debated, what was the point? What was there to save? She looked so peaceful, so at rest.

Von walked past Kyra; neither fast nor quick. Kneeling at Em’s side, he powered the canon down, fully conscious that his first concern was the weapon, not Em. Placing his hand on the back of her head, he closed his eyes and mumbled something Kyra could not hear. Slowly, he let the back of his hand slide down the side of her face and then cupping her chin, turned her still face toward his. Her eyes were open a little wider than normal and they glistened without blinking. Her upper lip was covered in blood and her lower lip hung open as if it didn't have the strength to close. Von let his fingers touch her scarlet lip. The blood felt warm and he rubbed it, her life, between his dirty fingers. Her eyes just stared, not directly at him, but off to some imaginary point over his left shoulder, perhaps, he thought, to a better place.

Von gently rotated his fingers over her round cheek as father to daughter saying good night, his eyes tracing each contour of her face as one does in disbelief. Moving to her brow, he hesitated before pulling his hand over her eyes to close them.

“What are you doing?” whispered Em. “I’m not dead yet.”

Von jumped. “My Janus girl, are you still alive?”

“No pampusweed, it’s my ghost talking. What the frail do you think?”

Von laughed. “I thought you were dead.”

“I know.”

“And you—“

“Yep.”

“Why you little—“

“Hey, what’s going on over there?”

“She’s alive.”

“Psssst. Von.”

“What?”

“She already knows.”

“What?”

“That I’m not dead yet. Why do you think my nose is bleeding?”

Categories: Story, Kyra, Von, Emy

16 comments:

Stargazer said...

Nice writing Trée, you had me going. You are so good at this!

Trée said...

Deb, blame Em for this one. The little Hynerian has a sense of humor, something we haven't seen much of from her. Actually, I think she's still pissed that Kyra slapped the shiott out of her. :-D

As always, thanks for the kind words. One day I will learn not to overwrite. I promise. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

The image is stunning. I love it. Not like, but love.
:-D

You really had me going there for a minute, thinking Em was gone, thinking this was goodbye, and the beginning of the end of the three of them. A little reprieve only perhaps, but still welcome.

Excellent writing! (as always)

Trée said...

Thank you Sweetest for those very kind words. Always greatly appreciated. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi!

This post reminded me of
George Dvorsky pondering whether "Death will die"...

As creator of all these Hynerians ..do you think that they should also be limited by death?
Hope it's okay to say that

(*_*)

U

How are you?

Trée said...

Hi Uma, I'm doing well. Thanks for asking. As for these Hynerians and death, well, I suppose we can look at the example of Kieran and I'll leave my answer at that, for now. :-D

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Have to look up and read the
Kieran posts soon
Take care

(*_*)

U

Lindsey said...

So who knew that you would be such a fabulous writer? :o)

Trée said...

Linny, your very kind words are very much appreciated. Thank you. :-)

Trée said...

Uma, I think we are going to see Kieran in this story again soon, that is if I ever get around to writing again. :-D

Anonymous said...

if I ever get around to writing again. :-D
*********************************
what?!
Okay this is not even April fool's day...

Hi!
How are you?
You write so well
[my limited vocabulary...]
So many who appreciate your work.
So...
Looking forward
[selfish me ...just like other readers]
Happy Sunday

(*_*)

U

Trée said...

Uma, thanks for those kind words. Always much appreciated. I'm working on another chapter as we speak. It's going slow but I hope to have something up sometime tonight. Maybe even a new chapter. ;-)

Oliviah said...

Now I am confused, lol! I know I just saw your site, only it looked totally different except for the story and fractals. Ah well, I am easily confused. But yay, I see you have another chapter written! Off to read it! (yay!) :)

Trée said...

Oliviah, I publish the story on two sites--this one the original and private and on Wordpress, which is open to all. The images and the story is the same on both sites. Feel free to visit either or both.

Karen said...

Brilliant chapter! YAY for Em still living and I couldn't help but laugh at her sense of humor.

Fantastic!

Hugs & Kisses to you and Jack!

Trée said...

Thank you Karen. Comment like that will only encourage me--and Jack. :-D

Always appreciated. :-)