Sunday, April 29, 2007

269. The Scan


Three days later . . .

“Rog?” called John.

“Yeah? What’s up?”

“Come to the bridge. We’ve got visual contact.”

Rog ran. He entered the bridge, walked past John and stood before the main window, his nose pressed against the glass like a child at the airport watching a plane pull into the gate and wondering if his father was on this one. “She’s beautiful isn’t she?”

John didn’t answer.

“You did the scan didn’t you?” asked Rog without taking his eyes off Bravo.

“Yeah. I did.”

Silence.

“You know, I thought when we got to this point, wild horses couldn’t keep me from—and now, I just want to stand here. You did the scan, right?”

“Rog, I—“

“Hey, we both knew before we left. We knew this moment would be waiting, didn’t we?”

John sighed.

“And we knew we were idiots for allowing ourselves to believe, but we did it anyway, right?

John sighed again.

“And we talked and dreamed of miracles, that somehow, someway, they would find a way to turn six days into seven. How could they not? How could Kyra not find a way?”

John walked behind Rog and put his hand on his shoulder.

“Tell me. I need to hear it.”

“Hear what?”

“The scan. What did you find?”

John opened his mouth to speak but nothing he could think to say sounded right.

“Just tell me. Not like I don’t know. I just need to hear it, cause you know, until I hear it, I won’t believe it. Until you say it, I’ll still think it’s not possible, not true.”

John gripped Rog’s shoulder. “There was no sign of life.”

“I don’t believe it!”

“I know.”

“I’m serious. Your scans are wrong. Grab your stuff. We’re going.”

“Rog?”

“What?”

“I’m going to grab my stuff. See you in the pod in a few.”

“John?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.”

“You know, scans have been wrong before.”

Categories: Story, John Discovery, Rog

14 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Loved this chapter for reasons, I'm not even sure I can explain, but I just did. The dialogue format, so very realistic, so very John and Rog, and so very them after what I imagine would be a couple of days of getting to know each other. So very visual, though there was little description, everything that went before is a base for this chapter and so it becomes a continuance, the sight that they see, I see easily (though of course it will be different from what you or anyone else imagines). A perfect chapter is what this was.
Fractal reminds me of The Shield. Very, very nice!

Hope you're Sunday is shaping up well. x

Anonymous said...

Hi!

What a view :)

A very pretty image.

(*_*)

U

Everything okay with you?

Imagination has no bounds

Trée said...

Uma, thanks for the kind words on the image. I did this one a long, long time ago. Always liked it, just never had a reason to use it.

Life is good, albeit busy, for me. Thanks for asking U.

Take care. :-)

Trée said...

Thanks Sunshine. I thought of adding much more dialogue but then thought the better of it. See, I'm learning economy with my words. Saving up. :-D

Oliviah said...

Hope. It wouldn't be Rog-like to not find a way to hope despite what they found. Still on the edge of my seat. ;) You know, I think there is an art to putting fractal to story like you do. Hugs!

Trée said...

Oliviah, I think you have a very good take on Rog. Salt of the earth kinda hynerian that would never ever give up on someone.

As always, thanks for the kind words on the story. Never fails to warm my heart. :-)

Dzeni said...

Two chapters in two days. This is great. Gives new meaning to the word "bliss". Thanks for the story. Keep on writing - some of us are dying to know what happens next.

Trée said...

Jenni, I actually had some time to write this weekend. Can you tell? :-D

Your kind words are always appreciated. I have a few ideas about what happens next but each idea is so different from the other and would take the story in such different directions I'm not sure which I prefer at the moment. We'll know soon. Promise. Mean it. :-D

Magdalene-Sophie said...

what a scary prospect... that scans can be wrong, in this day and age..

hmm...a lot of pauses and one-worded dialogues.. :)

btw, why is it tgeorge12345? why the numbers? haha, seems so random and ...cute? :)

Trée said...

Hey Meg, in the world of Kyra and Kieran you can kinda throw the scans and everything else out the window. :-D

As for the 12345, well, my first blog was tgeorge123 because tgeorge and tgeorge1 and tgeorge12 were already taken. When I moved, instead of moving to tgeorge1234, I just decided it just didn't sound as good as tgeorge12345. Kinda has a ring to it when you say it out loud doesn't it. :-D

So know you know the deep inner workings of DT and something no one else knows, until they read this of course. :-D

My blog is about having fun and compassion and sharing a little flirtatiousness because, well, it's fun. 12345--say it, real fast and see if you don't smile. :-)

Stargazer said...

Oh my goodness, I just read the last two chapters. I can see why everyone's on the edge of their seat. Major cliffhanger! What is to come? A few scenarios come to mind, and I'm eager to read the outcome. Excellent writing!! You sure know how to grab an audience Trée.

Trée said...

Oh Deb, you always know just what to say and I love you for it. I'm in Phoenix at the moment, just up the road. I keep hoping this desert is gonna give me some inspiration and you know what? It might if I would ever get out of the hotel and go see it! :-D

Thanks as always for the very kind words. Very much appreciated.

Stargazer said...

Absolutely get out and enjoy the currently blooming cactus! Take a drive up one of the mountain roads. Papago Park is close by. If you're up for a little drive, visit Casa Grande (south of Phoenix). The ruins are fabulous.

Trée said...

Deb, I'm actually on the north side of Phoenix at the moment but those ruins sound fabulous. Will be putting that on my list of things to see--no doubt. Afraid the only thing I'm going to see tomorrow is the inside of a courtroom. I can't tell you how much I despise testifying and going under cross. But this is the system we have so I just bend over and take my punishment. :-D