Friday, August 26, 2005

Building Cases

Just off the phone with one of my managers. Discussion centered on a rookie rep and reminded me of a basic mentality we teach yet few grasp or apply. Here goes.

When you find yourself in conversation (with others or yourself--doesn't matter) and find the gist is complaint, moaning, whining, finger-pointed, excuse-making, non-constructive critiquing, etc., ask yourself these two questions:

(1) What am I building a case for?

(2) Is that what I am committed to proving and believing?

In our own mind we win our cases. Do you know what cases you are currently working on because you are gonna win them--in your mind. Life has a funny way of becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy. Pick cases that move you forward because life is just too damn short to do otherwise.

If you find yourself in a situation not to your liking there are three constructive ways to move forward.

(1) Change it
(2) Accept it
(3) Leave it

There is a fourth option, and far too many choose it.

(4) Bitch and moan about the situation without changing, accepting or leaving it. I call this the quicksand approach with the bitching the equivalent of frantically moving arms and legs to free yourself, but unfortunately the effort only dooms the victim.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post. I sometimes also like to reframe it. What is good about it? There is always something good in every bad.

Anonymous said...

Why am I taking this personally? lol, just kidding - bitch and moan though, is what I'm doing best at the moment - at least in that one decandent place.
Outside I'm do just fine.

Good advice - liked the quick-sand analogy.

Trée said...

Jim, excellent point!

Autumn, trust me, the inspiration for this post had nothing to do with you or any other blogger, but strictly my response to two business calls I've taken over the last two days concerning some non-producing reps and the attitude they are taking which is leading nowhere but unemployed--and the sad thing is they don't see it. Such is the web of self-delusion. :-(

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I WAS kidding, seriously - I'm not that self-centered! :-)

Anonymous said...

That's too true...I always say go ahead and bitch for a minute, but after the minute is up move on or fix it!

Anonymous said...

The 4th option is one I try to avoid at all costs. Usually 1 & 2 is what I end up doing.

Great post!

Have a great day!!

Trée said...

Thanks Karen. Any big plans for the weekend? What are the banana's up to??? LOL Thanks for stopping by again and have a great weekend. :-)

Anonymous said...

The bitching and moaning drive me crazy. It's ok for a few minutes to vent frusteration but after that you need to re-evaulate and regroup. Those people who only bitch ALL the time won't gain anything but people that don't want to listen anymore.

Trée said...

Linny, amen to that sister. Singing to the choir here ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great post. I work with a lot of people who bitch and moan. One thing I try to remember is that there are always two sides to every story. An employee's perspective is not the same as the boss's perspective. Many workers can only see their own world/space, while people in leadership positions need to see a bigger picture.

Trée said...

Catherine, glad to see you have enough energy to blog after a hard run--just kidding. Loved your post on why you love to run. That was good stuff. Thanks for stopping by and glad you enjoyed this post.

Anonymous said...

Bananas are still around, but they're having a rough weekend. Hopefully they'll be back again soon. ;-)

Trée said...

Karen, I would loan you some of mine but it might get me in trouble--lol. I love your attitude. Thanks for stopping by and visiting. ;-)

Anonymous said...

good thing your not talking bout me...................or are you? :(

;)
Nate

Trée said...

LOL, Nope, not you Nate. Wish I could say the same for a couple others. Stay dry and safe.