Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Starfish

Do you believe in Starfish? If you have heard Loren Eiseley's starfish story (and don't want to read it again), skip to the second half of this post, if not enjoy. Eiseley's account sets the stage for the rest of the story, so please don't skip.

The Starfish Story

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one."


Our beach, in the world of cancer, seems to be one of endless starfish, as far as the eye can see. Sometimes the battle seems too overwhelming, the suffering too much, the losses too high, the price too great. We witness, like our good friend Chow, a twelve-year old boy succumb to the disease and we feel helpless to do anything.

As I have often said, we can always give hope. And with hope, perhaps the strength, spirit and energy to fight and the will to overcome. I'm asking those reading this blog to help me with one particular starfish today. Her name is Karen. The help I ask for is simply your thoughts and prayers--no more, no less.

Last Thursday I was blog surfing, walking down the beach so to speak, when I came across this particular starfish named Karen. God only knows why out of literally hundreds of thousands of blogs, I just happened upon Karen's. Perhaps fate, don't really know, and right now, doesn't really matter. Fact is, I did.

Karen is a Real Estate agent in Florida who has very recently learned she has cancer. You can read the medical updates on her blog yourbestagent.

I don't know Karen. I was blog surfing, just clicking away at the "next blog" button when I stumbled upon her site. I almost clicked right past it, because her site is really about her Real Estate business, but the leading post called "medical update" caught my eye.

You can read the two updates on her site, but here is the executive summary. Friday she had surgery and yesterday (Monday) she learned that the surgery did not get it all. Hard choices will need to be made in the days ahead . In her own words:
Well surgery went well on friday and I am recovering at a rapid rate. I met with the doc tonight and not the best news. They took out two cancer sites and there is now a third in a different quadrant. Which means another biopsy and surgery or can the whole thing and get a double masectomy. I am feeling like I am floating on another planet. Just floored and shocked as I was a week ago. Not much I can do for a few weeks till I recover from this one. I have some decisions to make. Hang in there with me. Hopefully this will all be over in a few.

Thanks again for all your support.

To all my fabulous friends, I thank you for taking a few minutes today to offer a few thoughts and prayers to a kind hearted soul facing a terrifying unknown. If you so feel moved, please visit her blog and leave a comment of support. I know from her comments that the simple act of posting a comment means a great deal to her at this time.

I want to finish by repeating the last two paragraphs of the starfish story. Pick up that starfish today and say a prayer for Karen.

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one."

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tree,
First, thanks for the comment on my blog.

That was a great story on the Star Fish.

On those with Cancer, I want to ask you to tell them as a matter of urgency to contact Dr. Matthias Rath. From Google you can see his web site and call him. They should tell him that Michael Chima of Nigeria directed you. Or I will give you his telephone number if you ask for it.

This German medical doctor and scientist is God sent for the treatment of Cancer and he is most recommended than any other physician on earth.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog and for the compliment about the pictures of the hummingbirds. I appreciate it.

My wife had cancer in her breast several years ago. Her sister died from the disease. It is something most of us fear and rightly so. I appreciate your post on the Star Fish. Thanks.

Trée said...

Orikinla, thanks for information and for stopping by--much appreciated. What is Julia thinking??? lol

Abraham, I think you have a great site and always enjoy lurking about to see the great posts with such great attitude you write with. Thanks for stopping by and I'm so glad to hear your wife is also a survivor. We need more survivor stories!

Trée said...

Karen, thanks so much for the email this morning. I'm going to publish it here to remind our team of the impact a thought, a prayer, an email, a card can have. I could not have received a greater gift this morning than your words.

Karen's email:

Tears of Joy

Thanks for your kindness to a stranger and your support. I am so deeply touched. The strength and energy I get from all my emails and calls...and the beautiful flowers and cards I have recieved is beyond belief! I will beat this...I have cancer but cancer does not have me :) I go back to the doc on the 31st. Give myself time to heal from this surgery. And then back in the trenches... hey at least I'll get new "perky" ones out it!
How do I join Team Andrax?
Karen

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring email from Karen!

I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

JC

Trée said...

JC, thanks for being such a positive force on Team Andrax. Brother, you make the wheels go round!

Anonymous said...

We all admire your attitude Karen and stand together with you. The very best to you in your time of recovery. If you need some extra pep please let us know.



oVo

Trée said...

Karen, oVo is another one of our great team leaders at Andrax. He hails from the Netherlands and is our top producing mate with more than 800,000 points to his credit. A very bright, positive and intelligent soul we are lucky to have on our team.

oVo, thanks for stopping by. Much appreciated my friend.

Anonymous said...

Love the simplicity of that story!
Karen is in my thoughts.

Trée said...

Thanks Autumn. I too like the simplicity of the starfish story. It reminds me of one of my favorite John Wooden quotes: "Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

I also like to think that one day, when I am a starfish, someone will walk by and pick me up and throw me back into the ocean. :)

Trée said...

Autumn, thanks for leaving a thoughtful note on Karen's blog. To know she has her first grandson on the way shows a sincerity in your words I've come to expect.

Karen is the same age as me and when I saw the grandparent remark, it sent a shockwave through me--I too have children old enough to make me a Grandpa--lol.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the delay in posting here, Karen. I know what you're going through from experience and I hope you'll have a successful recovery :)
Best of luck :hugs:

Trée said...

Karen, Christa, like Michelle and Marilyn, are cancer survivors. If anyone can understand what you are going through, these fabulous women can.

Christa, thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a note for Karen. From her email this morning, I know each and every note of encouragement gives strength.

We have such a wonderful team of starfish throwers. I feel so fortunate to be part of such a great, caring and compassionate team. Thanks Christa! :)

Anonymous said...

Trée, I've sent an email to Karen since I can't make any comments in her blog...I'm not a Blogger user, u know.

And yes, I know how it feels...but in a strange way it DO make a positive difference when you're through the recovery. It's like getting a new lease of life and a brand new start.
And nothing can beat a second birthday :D

Trée said...

Christa, thanks so much. You are a kind soul and we are lucky to have you on our team. I like having mates who make us better. :)

Anonymous said...

When you do become a grandpa, just remember that faithful old saying: you are only as old as you feel.


That should offer some comfort as you sit in your rocking chair warming your toes by the fire and thinking about the good old days
;-)

Trée said...

Autumn, I have always liked Einstein's take on this:

“People like you and I, ...do not grow old no matter how long we live. What I mean is that we never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we were born.”

--Albert Einstein

What do you think--is that us or not--lol. ;)

Anonymous said...

There are no coincidences; you were meant to find her blog. I'm off to visit.

Trée said...

Catherine, thanks so much for leaving Karen a personal note on her blog. I'm convinced that small notes like that mean the world to someone facing the battle Karen is facing.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted Karen to know that I tried to post at her blog.

I saw many great responses there from a good number of inspiring and positve bloggers!

JC

Anonymous said...

Tree, I think I have cried non-stop for over a half hour after reading your post. I had not realized you posted this on your site. I have received many emails from people all over the world. I will be grateful forever for meeting you and your friends. Thanks for throwing me back....I promise I will find that inspiration you speak of. I will get through this!
Karen

Anonymous said...

tree,

thanks for stirring the support and prayers. Karen is my older sister. I wish I could be there with her, but I can't. She's a big sister who is an inspiration in MANY ways. karen is a beautiful person. your blog post is a reminder there are still nice people out there :) I hope I can learn to be as strong as my big sister.

Trée said...

Karen, I hope it was a good cry ;) Our team is made of some wonderful people that will stay the course with you, through the good times and the not so good. I am so proud of them for reaching out to you with words of support and comfort. And they are not going anywhere.

I hope you find a home away from home in these parts. Our team has folks in more countries than I can count. Autumn is in Denmark; Christa in England; oVo in the Netherlands; JC in Colorado; servus in Pennslyvania; Catherine on the East Coast, and the list goes on and on.

They all have one thing in common--an unbelievable capacity for love and compassion, especially for those fighting this terrible disease. Many on our team are survivors; many others have lost love ones; and still more on our team are currently engaged in their own personal fight against cancer.

Perhaps it was fate I stumbled upon your blog, perhaps just coincidence, but as I stated in my post, doesn't really matter now. You will be in our thoughts and prayers and you will always have a home here as long as you choose to come and visit.

Take care and please keep us updated on your condition. Hugs from the whole team.

Trée said...

Kaete, thanks for stopping by. Your sister seems like such a sincere and bright spirit from reading her blog and website. I'm glad our team is able to help in some very small way and we all pray and hope the news in the days to come is good news. Good or not, we are here to stay, and as long as Karen wants a home here, she is welcome to lean on us.

Anonymous said...

What a remarkable story...really touched my heart Tre.

Cancer may kill but it gives new perspective of life to many...even just by knowing someone with the illness.

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

I have the starfish story on a postcard stuck on my laptop cover.
Whenever I feel frustrated, I just pull down the cover and read the story.
It works wonders.
We all need some encouragement in whatever circumstances.

Anonymous said...

Wow! (Re: Kaete and Karen) Just goes to show, does it not, that what we deem "little" things can reach a great distance.
Agree wholeheartedly with Einstein and with you.
Did an tv interview about this subject recently, along with my father (69 and in his words, feels 20)...some of the most overused proverbs and therefore hesitantly used are the ones that hold the most truth.

Anonymous said...

Tree, just wanted to give you an update. I have two more "fills" and surgery on the 18th of January to remove the expanders and put in implants. This process of reconstruction is almost over. The Oncologist feels that doing the double mastectomy that all the cancer should be gone and little risk of reoccurance. This is a blessing. And yesterday our son had his first baby boy and our first grandchild. He is super cute see his photo on my blog. Things are looking up for 2006. Grandma and Cancer Free who could ask for more! As a xmas gift my sister Kaete somehow printed the drawing that Agnes did and framed it for me. I also got starfish earrings from a close friend. All reminders of how wonderful everyone was to me during these tough last few months!
Thanks for thowing me back ;)
Karen