Monday, August 01, 2005

A Jewel of a Post

From time to time one stumbles upon a post in the blogosphere that is so good, and in this case, so haunting, it simply must be shared. I read this post last night and when I woke this morning I found it still taking up residence with no intention of leaving.

Written by Autumn Storm and posted on her blog The Decadent Autumn Storm. Visit her site for more fascinating postings. The picture, by the way, is not part of Autumn's original post. Somehow, this little girl's expression captures my mood. Autumn, as I commented on your blog--this is one beautiful and powerful yet haunting evocation. Thanks so much for sharing.




Waking up to CNN

Last night,
As I was wondering what show to watch on the telly
Children went to bed hungry without food in their bellies
As I sat there snug, pondering tomorrow's attire
Somehow, somewhere someone perished in a fire
As I sat sipping cocoa curled up in my chair
Innocent children lived with abuse hard to bear
As I painted the toenails of my pedicured feet
Gunshots rang out, people lay dead in the street
As I wondered whether to cut my long hair
Spouses were beaten to the point of utter despair
As I rigourously cleaned and flossed my teeth
A family lost a loved one and were consumed with grief
As I motioned perfect circles with age-defying cream
A life of peace became just a far-fetched dream
As I slipped on my favourite silk nightdress
Prostitutes were out there scouting for business
As I kissed my daughter, said sweet dreams, goodnight
Gangs of youths met up in a deathly fight
As I pulled back the sheets and blissfully slid in
The rapist luring found his unsuspecting victim
As I sighed and happily closed my eyes
Tears fell and no-one heard the lonely cries
As I laid me gently down to sleep
Disaster occured, victims reaped

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep I was heart-breakingly haunted by the reality this post hollered at me...good work Autumn!

Keshi.

Trée said...

Been reading some of her other posts, and they are great--good stuff. Hope more people drift her way.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish everyone who complains could read this. Great post, and what a beautiful picture. Thanks for the comment on my blog.

Trée said...

Janet, thx for stopping by. Autumn has some great posts on her blog and this one has just stuck in my head. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. And always wear a helmet-lol.

Anonymous said...

I agree - it was incredibly moving, as are most of the things she writes!

Trée said...

Justin, she is deliciously wonderful in an intellectually naughty way. I consider Autumn one of my great finds. She makes the blogosphere worthwhile.