Sunday, August 21, 2005

Soulshine

Been about a week since our team discovered our starfish down in Florida. I have been amazed by the outpouring of support you guys and gals have given our dear friend in her hour of darkness and time of need. As I was reading some of the posting you guys have left for Karen a smile permanently fixed itself to my face this morning and I thought "this is how life should be." Relationship at it's finest. I feel like a gardener watching the most gorgeous and wonderful flowers of support bloom right before my eyes. I'm here to tell you my friends, the view is magnificent and I am blessed to be a witness to such an outpouring of love. Well, as you might guess, all this reminds me of a song--lol--which is my preferred way to start the day. Enjoy a classic oldie this beautiful Sunday morning.

Soulshine

When you can'’t find the light,
That got you through the cloudy days,
When the stars ain'’t shinin'’ bright,
You feel like you'’ve lost you'’re way,
When those candle lights of home,
Burn so very far away,
Well you got to let your soul shine,
Just like my daddy used to say.

[chorus]
He used to say soulshine,
It'’s better than sunshine,
It'’s better than moonshine,
Damn sure better than rain.
Hey now people don'’t mind,
We all get this way sometime,
Got to let your soul shine, shine till the break of day.

I grew up thinkin'’ that I had it made,
Gonna make it on my own.
Life can take the strongest man,
Make him feel so alone.
Now and then I feel a cold wind,
Blowin'’ through my achin'’ bones,
I think back to what my daddy said,
He said boy, in the darkness before the dawn:

[chorus]
Let your soul shine,
It'’s better than sunshine,
It'’s better than moonshine,
Damn sure better than rain.
Yeah now people don'’t mind,
We all get this way sometimes,
Gotta let your soul shine, shine till the break of day.

Sometimes a man can feel this emptiness,
Like a woman has robbed him of his very soul.
A woman too, God knows, she can feel like this.
And when your world seems cold, you got to let your spirit take control.

[chorus]
Let your soul shine,
It'’s better than sunshine,
It'’s better than moonshine,
Damn sure better than rain.
Lord now people don'’t mind,
We all get this way sometimes,
Gotta let your soul shine, shine till the break of day.

Oh, it'’s better than sunshine,
It'’s better than moonshine,
Damn sure better than rain.
Yeah now people don'’t mind,
We all get this way sometimes,
Gotta let your soul shine, shine till the break of day.

Allman Brothers



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That photograph is breathtaking--where is this place? The light shining in makes me feel inspired, hope, alive...so many things. Absolutely beautiful.

Trée said...

Oliviah, the photographer is Marian Jordan Lewandowski (you can see more of her work here: www.jordan55.com) and the location is St. Paul Outside the Walls Basilic--Rome.

Anonymous said...

The very soulful Soulshine - great song. 3 for 3 on your choice of music.
Most eloquent gardening analogy - pure poetry!

Anonymous said...

I love that song. My husband just say the Allman Brothers last night in concert. He said it was a great show! Photogrpahy, like music, great relationships and a kind word at the right time, can be immensly inspiring. Thanks for always sharing.

Anonymous said...

St.Paul's is gorgeous...but so is Rome itself. Not to mention Florence ;)
Very nice song as well :)

Anonymous said...

"this is how life should be" YES! This strange coming together of kindness and goodwill and hope and love. No judgements. No criticisms without caring first. THIS is the joy of life.

Belly-button ring paid in full. ;)

Trée said...

Agnes, you always bring a smile to my face, for that I bless you child. :-)

Anonymous said...

Belíssima foto!
Beijos

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the nice comments...todays pictures were found while out exploring near the Mississippi River in southern MN. I don't know who Considine is, but I found her intriguing. Very nice site - my dad died from cancer so I appreciate you and your cause. Wait - and don't people wave to each other in all parts of the country?

Trée said...

E, sim é uma fotografia bonita. Agradecimentos para parar perto outra vez.

Laura, my father died from cancer too, eight months ago. Thanks so much for stopping by and I do hope to see you again. I spent a summer in and around Fairbault Minnesota many years ago as a college student. Good people in that part of the country.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tree,
Photography question: How do I capture the rays of light from a window as in the photo posted?
Tried to achieve that in the Aya Sofya, but all I got were blurred shots.

Thanks in advance

Anonymous said...

I love the photo!!! Incredible and it speaks volumes. I could get lost in it. That is a great song. You sound so happy and that's how it should be!!

Have a great day!!

Trée said...

Saffron, no trick to capturing light. My guess on your blurred photos is that the light was low and your camera set a slow shutter speed (anything slower than 1/60 sec really won't be sharp if you are hand holding the camera).

Try placing your camera on a tripod and shoot one shot at each of your different auotmatic metering modes. My guess is you will get one shot that pleases you.

If you don't have a tripod, brace your camera on a solid surface, and don't breathe--lol.

Anonymous said...

I love this picture...I have never heard the song...I am a huge music fan I must download it.