Monday, August 15, 2005

To the Children

Yesterday, I passed a young man, probably 10 years old, on my ride. As we made eye contact he gave me a smile and a thumbs up sign. A simple act, yet the energy and joy such an act gives is hard to describe.

I had a similar encounter this past spring, which lasted all of about 5 seconds but at the time, and still today, seems more like 30. I came to a stop as a school bus was unloading it's precious cargo. The sky was crystal clear blue and the temps were in the mid-70s. About as perfect a day to ride as there is. As the children crossed in front of me, a young girl, she must have been 7 or 8 years old, bookbag over shoulder, stopped right beside me.

My first jaded thought was I don't want to be seen "in conversation" with such a child or that she was going to have some "smart*$#" comment to make (happens more than you would think). Men in lyrca wearing a funny helmet and shaved legs tend to be a magnet for verbal abuse--lol.

Instead, with her long brown hair and big bright eyes--at that age where the eyes seem out of proportion to the rest of the body--she tilted her head up and with the biggest, most genuine smile, blurted out, "What a great day for a bike ride."

She paused for just a second, her eyes locked on mine, waiting for my reaction. I was caught so off guard with the wonderful simplicity and pure authenticity of her comment, I could only mumble something to the effect that it was.

Seemingly pleased to have her undeniable insight acknowledged, she skipped off home, and I could only think she was rushing to her bike on such a gorgeous day to share the wonder.

These experiences, in contrast, bring forth two other remembrances. A few years ago I read a passage, most certainly apocryphal, but nonetheless I've never been able to get the simple idea out of my head, on the assassination of Gandhi. The story goes that when he was shot, the last word he uttered was "love." The commentary: the only thing that can come out of you is what is inside of you--and all Gandhi had inside was love, thus even to his assassin, with his last breath, there was nothing but love.

The second remembrance is from many years ago. I was having lunch with my mentor and he made the comment that people are generally not happy when you succeed. The thought had honestly never occurred to me that those around me would not be genuinely happy for me whenever I accomplished something. I'm sad to say, his comment has proven right more often than not, and when I have good fortune I've learned to be careful with sharing it for fear of stirring the muck of resentment, envy or whatever else success tends to stir in others.

Both these stories remind me of the joy and innocence of childhood. The joy of a thumbs up or a simple exclamation of goodness without anything else attached to it. Just pure happiness and joy uttered from an unfiltered heart. God bless the children.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the little things, the genuine things and the unexpected things that always leave the biggest impression. Smiles are contagious and require minimal effort, but strangers seldom share them.
I was sitting on the steps outside my house once after a particularly traumatic experience, and a cyclist came by singing at the top of his voice, not in tune but in joy - it made a great impression on me that day!
Sadly what you say last is also true of those who do not count their blessings - they will forever be jealous of those whom they believe are more blessed than they.
Lovely stories (the children) - lifts the spirits and they didn't even happen to me.

Trée said...

Autumn, these stories are so strong in my mind because not a week goes by when I'm riding that I don't experience the opposite from someone in a car or truck. I am always amazed at how a guy on a bike, with as much legal right to be on the road as them (at least in my state), can solicit so much anger and hostility.

I've had drivers try and harm me with their vehicles. It makes you wonder what is so wrong in their life that the mere presence of a rider on the road can bring them to the point of permanantly doing harm to another person.

Oh, and my riding is always as far right as I can with as much awareness of my surroundings as I can muster. An 18 pound bike can't compete with a 2 ton hunk of metal.

Good news is that for every one arse on the road, I run into 15 to 20 folks who give a positive signal, and for those I am always grateful.

The children, however, always seems to give from their joyful heart with nothing attached or wanted than to acknowledge someone having fun--for them, the purpose of life that somehow we tend to lose as we age.

Anonymous said...

The fact that you experience so much hostility is just rediculous and thoroughly shameful, but I see it in the UK also - drivers consider the roads theirs and become highly aggitated when they see cyclists intruding on their so-called territory. Denmark, on the other hand, is a cycling nation and awareness of cyclists on the roads is an important part of the driving test - as it should be, fore as you say there should be room for both and a bike is no match against a larger vehicle.
Blessed are the children.

PS Regards the 'job offer' - if ever you do, I will :-)

Anonymous said...

Trée, you have such a kind soul and it spills out every time you write. You are an inspiration to me. I look forward to a moment of peace each time I come here.
Thank you for that.
Agnes

ps: you are not obligated...but sincerely acknowledged. :)

Trée said...

Agnes, that is about the nicest post anyone has ever left me. I might need to print that out and show the wife while saying in a very righteous voice "look, I told you so, see, it's right here in black and white," while making some sort of nanananana noise with my thumbs in my ears and my fingers waving in the air.

ps-I'll let you know how that works--lol.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how positive energy from other people can affect us? I've noticed that people who are genuinely happy for other people are always popular and become magnets. People want to be around them. It's unfortunate that so many adults don't get the idea that we are all somehow connected in the energy of this world, and that the jealousy and envy they send out only come back to haunt them.

Trée said...

Catherine, I couldn't agree more. I also don't understand how or why so many adults seem to not be aware of their own negative energy.

Not to pick on my mother-in-law, but she sees the negative in almost everything. If she's talking, she's complaining about someone or something.

What is interesting, is when her daughther points this out to her, her reaction is pure denial. She literal does not see her negative commentary on the world around her as negative. It is an amazing thing to observe. Sad, but amazing.

j said...

On May 14, 2008, I hereby leave my mark!!

I have traveled back through Blog time to read this lovely post!

The first time that I remember my parents being proud of me was when I learned to ride my bicycle. My mother took the training wheels off, and went inside to answer the phone. I climbed on and just RODE! My mother grabbed a camera and took my picture and I still have it. And THAT was what my childhood summers were. Riding up and down my street on my bicycle.

Glad that you still have cycling in your life. I think it keeps you young in more ways than just your health.

Thank you for the link my friend.

Lycra.... :^D

Trée said...

Hey Jen-nay. So you like lycra? I've got an entire wardrobe of the stuff. Doesn't leave much to the imagination, you should see how embarrassed my mother in law gets when she happens to come over when I'm about to ride or just rode. :-D

On the other hand, pavement and lycra don't mix. I've got the shredded garments and scars to prove it. :-)

j said...

I have scars on my knees like every bike riding little girl should have. One teeny little piece of the road is in there too!

HAH! Blushing Mother-In-Laws! My day is complete.

I have a terrible case of

"Lycra-phobia"

that rears it's ugly head every summer, just in time for swimsuit season. Oh for the days of Knee-length dresses and wool socks at the beach!

Going to watch Lord of the Rings with the family. Good night and pleasant dreams to you.

Trée said...

Jen, enjoy your movie. Think I'm gonna watch Into the Wild tonight.