Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wales

There was a place
where the grass was green
and the stone was old
where the sea was steel gray
and the skies pregnant
always

A place where wood was warm
polished, aged in time
and cheeks rose
as blossoms
on skin bone white
as amber ale flowed
between friends

At the time
the time seemed like
most times
as if today
would be tomorrow
and the bread and wine
would be plentiful
as the hours
and the minutes

We played cards
and laughed
and dreamed of days
when our number
multiplied
our esteem
honored

I dream of those days;
and Wales
forever
will remain green
and old
and a place
as treasured
as the cliffs
we climbed
and the seas
we swam
and the fires
we warmed
and the girls
I'd wish
I'd taken

4 comments:

Ms Storm said...

So stirring and tender is the fondness and nostalgia of this memory, you evoke a yearning for sights unseen, times not lived, so affectionate and aware is the caress of these recollections, the soulful tone within is acute, the intensity is beyond narration. I love the wistfulness, I see your profile picture in my mind's eye as you look out upon Wales, this poem takes perfection to new heights, and the comment, time short, is exceptionally inadequate. My heart aches, yes aches, with the beauty, with love for this poem.

Trée said...

This is a rather personal poem, the memories vivid. Glad you enjoyed it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nostalgia seems to be in the air throughout... Thank you for sharing the very lovely and, I daresay, slightly mischievous poem.

Trée said...

Thanks Lucila. :-)