Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day Breaking

I sit and wonder at the wonder of you
which, in and of itself
seems to say nothing
so let me put it this way:

You are not here
and I am not there
and the miles between us
are as an ocean not sailed

Still I wonder how your day is
and, vanity aside,
if you've thought of me
as much as I've thought of you
and if the feeling I've felt
is a language you know

and, I ponder the depth
of your eye
and whether you see
as I see
and know
as I know
and I wish upon wishes
that I am wrong
for I long to be held
by eyes that see
beyond what I see
and embraced by a heart
that knows a country
I've not seen

Then, there are days
where I simply wonder
how your hair looks
in the morning light
when the day is breaking
and with fingers quick
I hold my heart
for it is only the day
I can bear to part


Reading and Commentary (<---click the link)

2 comments:

Autumn said...

I listened to your audio and the truth is that the way in which you desribed what it felt like reading this poem is precisely how it feels as reader to read, as listener to listen, delicate and infinite in promise, like an orchid floating, perfection pure, upon a river of possibility. Sublimely sincere, there is a wonderful easy openess to the manner in which it is written, conversational almost, natural certainly. This is a beautifully demonstrative poem, heartwarming and inspiring.

Trée said...

Sunshine, thank you for breaking the comment ice on this poem. I enjoyed just writing this one, written as one sighs, without conscious effort. I still feel it as I read it these two months later and it feels as fresh as morning, no matter how many mornings have come before. As always, thank you for the warm and wonderful comment. :-)