Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Brothers Now

I feel as the squirrel
in my backyard
happy to sit in the sun
satisfied with a few seeds
we are brothers now
me and him
he reports to no one
and right now
neither do I

There is a peculiar
freedom
in unemployment
I don't have to answer
my phone
Or make a list
of who to call
I can sit in the sun
under my japanese magnolia
and watch the blooming petals
fall in the natural order
decorating my ground
with the most fragrant
pinks and whites
a carpet for kings
like me
and the squirrel
my brother
you see

My days are my own
and my hands to labor
my own backyard,
the birdbath is clean
and the leaves raked
feeder full
to the delight of dove
and like
I feel a freedom
you see
of coming and going
as my wrens do
stretching my wings
forever caught in this moment
beyond past
beyond future
free as free can be
free as the birds and squirrels
in my backyard

the taste is pure
and clean
as the sun is bright
and the breeze is lean
I've been given my freedom
you see
not such a bad thing
just
to be

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been there. =) Enjoy for a while... you deserve it.

Trée said...

Always nice until the money runs out. :-D

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but by then you may enjoy getting out again. Or you could find another way to make a living doing what you enjoy doing second best!

Autumn Storm said...

Cannot help wishing that I didn't have to go to work today, so that I could remain right here, right now, to comment on these four wonderful, individual poems. For now I am hitting the L(ove)ike on all. :-)

Trée said...

Well Ms Storm, I wouldn't worry too much about that since these poems are second-rate at best, and that is being kind. Once I post something, I don't take it down (never did like that behavior from other bloggers), so the poems stay, but I wish I had let them sit and either reworked them or just tossed them aside. I know you may have a different opinion, and you have every right to express your view as you see it and I have no right to tell you you are wrong. My opinion is mine and mine alone. As I've said before, I can't see my work for what it is, I just don't have those kind of eyes. And, I suppose, I will forever be frustrated in that blindness. I do know, however, when I feel a flow and when I don't--there was no flow yesterday, to any part of day--the first time in a long time I could have just taken the day as a whole and tossed it in the garbage can. I think I probably kept trying to write in order to salvage some speck of gold in the panning of hours.

Autumn Storm said...

A few months down the line, I hope that you will be able to read this poem again and see that is very worthy of having been published. I very much liked the way that this is written. The sentiments and the vividness of expression. And above all, the ideas, as used, of being and of brotherhood.