Thursday, April 22, 2010

750. etiolated: Stagecraft (2)

ed note: every once in a while, I just want to say what happened rather than write it--today is such a day:

Trev is writing in his journal and Em is looking over his shoulder--he writes this line, I look out my window to green grass and blue skies, pauses, and before he can write the next, hears a single sniffle and feels a drop of tear on his shoulder--he turns around, Em is crying, and he asks her why--she says because what he wrote is so beautiful--he seems puzzled--the simple observation of green grass and blue sky seems nothing at all--she sniffles again, wipes her eyes, and says: before I lost my sight, those words would have just been nice, but now, well, I can't explain it--he stands and without saying anything takes her into his arms, his back to the window, her face illuminated by the light of those blue skies; and the tears just flow and he just holds her--no musical score, just the sound of her sniffles, the creak of the floor when he stands and the wooden legs of the chair sliding against the floor--the camera pans around them 360 before fading to black--a short period of black screen remains before the credits roll

__________

post note: right before the scene fades to black, Trev is seen whispering something into Em's ear--the viewer is not privy to what is said. In the days after viewing, fan pressure becomes so intense, the writers of the show post to the story blog what was whispered:

love, how else can I say it, but love, all of it, my love, I give to you

5 comments:

Trée said...

by way of title explanation:

etiolated: plants deprived of sunlight; deprived of natural vigor; make pale

in the context of this chapter, two glazes, so to speak;

(1) when the heart feels as Em's heart does in this moment, the blood rushes home, to the heart, leaving the face somewhat pale or etiolated

(2) without sight, as she is without the oculars, she is, I know this is a stretch, etiolated, which is to say, deprived of sunlight, unable to see it

Lady of the Lakes said...

As I read this I can see it, clear as I can see my hands on the keyboard. You have such a gift, such an ability to make the reader feel as though they are apart of the scene, even if it as only as a fly on the wall. And, as always, Trev and Em always make me----Long Deep Sigh---Long for more.


TIGHT HUGS and WARM KISSES

Sending Love your way, XOXOXO

hhhHHh

Trée said...

I can too--see it; but you know what, more than see it, I feel it--actually more than feel it, I live and die with it, such the emotion within me, as it is in almost everything I write, a bleeding of me, post by post, upon the page.

Autumn said...

With every chapter (or poem) there is something specific within, call it an essential element, that makes it what it is, that makes that particular piece of writing special. I would call it you, that the common element is a piece of your heart. The straightforwardness of this chapter is the cardinal component, one can scarcely even imagine it would work as well, touch as deeply, were it written differently. Your intuition is phenomenal.
A chapter like this one demonstates the beauty of language, of meaning and understanding both of the singular word but also, moreso, our communal perceptions and sensitivities. Even without the revelation at the end, it is fascinating to me, how expressive and communicative this scene is, I cannot imagine anyone not being able to tap into, intuitively, wherefrom Em's tears stem and Trev's rise and turn, anyone not being able to gather this scene, read it with the heart, embrace and hold every facet...the trust and certainty you possess is admirable, and enviable. Imagine...a heart so open, so communicative, so aware, imagine being able to bring smiles, tears, laughter, concern, to create love. Your writing, your characters, scenes such as this one, as said one of Liz's is my all-time favourite comment, we do, live entire lives here, hearts fully engaged.
Such love, such admiration for this chapter.

To read you is to feel, to feel with every fibre, above anything I can express in words.

Trée said...

My dearest Autumn, I think I will sit with your words as I just did under a hot shower and let them cleanse, if for just a moment, the pain and stress of my day. Never underestimate the power of a kind word. Thank you.