Monday, April 05, 2010

724. of Cait and Fall

"Tell me about the first time, the first date?" asked Kyra.

"What do you want to know?"

"I want to get lost in your experience like a reader in a book. I want you to take me places I only imagine. I want you to give me hope, to plant seeds in my barren soil, to water my dreams."

"You don't want much."

"I believe in high expectations. And I want every detail, no matter how small."

He smiled. "Is this for you or for me?"

"John, I can't help you and I would never try to manipulate your heart. Love doesn't work that way. It is, as Papa would say, a force beyond the machinations of man. To be plain, as cold as I may seem at times, I ache to know things I may never know, to think that they may be possible, to keep the small ember alive, if only for the many cold nights I spend alone. There is a warmth to memory, to hope, to dreams."

"Well, I suppose like all things, the first of anything retains a vividness out of proportion to the event, almost a timelessness as if hermetically sealed, where colors never fade and sounds remain as dulcet as they were, even if they never were in the first place. And you remember everything and everything is forever changed, touched, influenced."

"Such as?"

"Such as Fall."

"Explain."

"As in the season. Our first date was in the Fall, a glorious day of autumn come, the landscape bursting of summer passed, a kaleidoscope of orange and yellow and red. Leaves scampered to final resting places with the breeze of winter to come, almost giggling, the way school children giggle, the way I felt the first time we held hands and I felt her fingers curl into mine, slowly, firmly. Her hands were white and her nails a light shade of pink and I couldn't tell if the sparkle was in the polish or just in my mind for everything seemed brighter that night. She wore a baby blue sweater, soft as lamb's wool; and upon her shoulders, her golden hair came down like waves, my heart the shore and as the shore, I was helpless not to be taken, wave after wave." John sighed. "Ariel has her primrose hair. And her blue eyes."

"I know."

"Yeah."

"Please continue."

"Fall was, is, has never been the same. She is there, always with the first cool breeze of autumn, the first turning of leaf. I see her smile, the way she walked when she didn't know I was looking, the way she sat next to me the first time we sat together and I felt the warmth of her leg press into mine and her hand tighten around my fingers. I suppose if there is any comfort in space, we have no seasons and therefore no cause to remember what now--"

Kyra reached over and placed her hand on his. "You don't have to say anymore. I had no right to ask."

"Give me a moment. I want to remember. Besides, talking to one's self in the mirror gets old."

__________

"You know this is uncomfortable," said John.

"I didn't mean--"

"But you know why it is uncomfortable, right?"

"The memory of a loved one taken."

"Nope."

"Then what?"

John laughed. "The mixing of what should not be mixed."

"Oh."

2 comments:

Lady of the Lakes said...

First let me start with...I like the changes and am glad I waited to post a comment.

Memories. SIGH...not sure what else I can say. They either seem to get better or worse. The good ones, we tend to remember them at the height of the pleasure they brought, and the bad ones...well, sigh...we wish we could forget, and the bad ones NEVER seem to fade. They seem to get worse as the good ones tend to fade over time. I think I'll work on focusing on good memories...I hope this comment seems as relevant to this post to you as it does to me. sigh

TIGHT HUGS...MWAH

hhHHh

Ms Storm said...

That tickle in the nasal cavity that precedes tears, this is where I am suspended as I begin this sentence, knowing that when I really begin to write, to think of it, they will flow. And what is it that causes so strong a reaction, not to be misunderstood, it is nothing that is written in your post, but a suggestion interpreted and augmented. And yet as I write the word 'suggestion', I realize that initial, emotional impression is off-center and in actual fact the entire post breathes life into possibility. Of all the marvellous acts of love, true acceptance...I wanted to find some brilliant or poetic definition, but within lies a truly beautiful story, even if it never comes to be, it lived in possibility, a story of second loves and the passage of time, nothing diminshed or hidden or lost of the past, while nothing is diminished or hidden or lost of the present. Secure in his love, herself, her role in Ariel's life for Cait to remain as she always was. Excuse my terrible attempt to voice the wealth of emotion, the beauty of imagining what is yet unwritten. I can only say that I am thankful that this story is written in posts, we would not recover otherwise. If you continue 'mixing', we might not anyway.
As I told you long ago, with some comments the level of babble is an indication of the level of love for a chapter. Once more, rather, I'm at a loss for words to tell you just what ecstacy it is to have the story so alive once more.