Friday, April 02, 2010

720. of open wounds

Hands bloodied, he sat, the handle of the hammer growing darker in the dying and he wondered of their death, those red blood cells forced from his hands and he wondered of Tom, of the lash, of his son, forced to watch.

To the sun or the river, in either direction, pain. The sun burrowed rays in his forehead and his pulpy hands ached in the stitching of lacerations, but everywhere, pain. There was a breeze. It stung like bees, a howling of open wound, company perhaps, for the wounds not seen, not healed, forever unknown by any other than he who carries the burden in a pair of shoes made for one. 

Out here, under the sun, among eddies of breeze and the scent of hued whores of petal and leaf, was the peace of pain not judged, of wounds allowed to flow, as the river, without question. And he thought that maybe, if he could just stay here, in the blistering heat, of sweat and blood and wood and nail, of thought layering thought, that maybe time could erode the edges of his memory, bring some ablution unseen, as his pain, unseen, as his vision these last two years, unseen. 

But he knew better. And they would come and he would go and nothing would be changed.



Extended commentary (and a reading)

1 comment:

Lady of the Lakes said...

Simply LOVE the image.

Not sure what I can add to what I said in ht e previous post.

SIGH

My heart aches for John. You have the ability to make me feel as though he is one of my closest friends. And I am unable to comfort him, His pain spills into me and I walk around trying to think of ways to help him. Then...I remember he his a fictitious character.

The commentary. I listened 3 times earlier today...and am simply in awe. I think I will listen one more time before I drift off to sleep.

;-)

TIGHT HUGS

XOXOXO

hhHHH