Tuesday, April 06, 2010

725. Limen

Limen, the point at which a stimulus is of sufficient intensity to generate a response 


__________


After a period of grass twirling and glances to the horizon, Kyra spoke: "What are we doing here?"

"Literally?"

"No not literally. We are lightyears from our homes, on this foreign planet, in some Janus forsaken field, mere inches between us, but it is more than that, isn't it?"

John's chest rose as if he had been holding his breath. "I--"

"It's not Cait, is it?"

"No."

"Then why are we just sitting here like two school kids?"

"Fear."

"Of what? You've kissed me before and you were married at the time. Or have you forgotten?"

"That's just it." John hesitated. 

"My Janus John, how did you ever lead men. Say it. I cannot get my hands around your imaginary imagination."

"Imaginary imagination?"

"You know what I meant."

Looking at the ground, he sighed again. "Yeah, I do."

"Tell me the fear."

"That it won't be the same."

"The kiss?"

"Everything."

"Wow."

"Wow what?"

"You sound like a little boy."

"Really."

"A little boy not ready to kiss a girl."

John smiled.

"A little boy unsure of how to kiss a girl."

"Or maybe a little girl--" Kyra stopped the sentence with her finger, upon his lips, feeling the warmth, the firmness, his breath like waves rushing and receding. John closed his eyes, her lavender scent, swirling, his head, swirling, his lips, slowly, parting, in what would become known as the second kiss, of finger and lip, a place of its own, in memory and heart and mind, of clover and sun, of bird and sky, of the river finding a way. 

3 comments:

Ms Storm said...

Very nice, easy flow of dialogue, natural hesitations and tension aside of course. Like most crafts, writing can be learnt, but innate ability is something entirely different. I love the scene painted, of the two of them seated amongst the clover, with ground beneath their feet past and present merge and seperate in additional ways. A real pleasure to see the portraits again, like old friends one hasn't laid eyes upon in a while, though often thought of. Very nice chapter all round.

Trée said...

I do like anticipation. It lasts so much longer that the object of our desires obtained. ;-)

Lady of the Lakes said...

So sensual. Your writing, of the story, brings about such a vision. A reality. A tension. A SIGH... As lovely as this is, as Em and Trev are, this makes me realize things about myself, about my life. Things no one knows. Things I've never shared. But alas, it seems that you know, somehow you've entered into my thoughts, My dreams, My very being. You describe, in such detail, the things my dreams are made of. DEEP SIGH!!!

TIGHT TIGHT HUGS

MWAH (of fingers)

hhHHH