Wednesday, December 31, 2008

636. Hare, Tree, Flower



"I hear Kyra has asked you to say the blessing," said Em.

"Yep," said Trev.

"Can I see what you are working on?"

"Sure." Trev handed her the work in progress and, quite proud of himself, watched her read.



How do I explain a darkness
seen not by night
not by other
nor myself
(quick as baker's hands
before the stove
quick as child
upon the bow (knee)
quick as whore
out the door)

I am a rabbit hopping in a field
tight and taut (without shield) and happy
till from heights blue not known
nor angle sharp perceived as flown
talons plunge
my lungs deflate
and in the instant
my world (berate) has changed

I am the tree beside the path
standing broad
my leaves grow green
and multiply
wave, I do, with every breeze
smiles I give for free
until a sound not of forest tree
comes in steps for me
they come in twos
they come in threes
orange and yellow, silver brandished
Tell me
Tell me in my pain
Tell me before the fell
How do I run?
How do I yell?

I am the flower growing wild
object of pen and brush, (quill)
poet and prose (perhaps even the poet's blush) (spill/will)
she looked so nice
so he thought
but not as nice
it seemed he schemed
to place upon
her golden crown
a flower
called me
My life yanked forth
in the sun
my screams not heard
above their (fun) laughter

I can't
so eat your hare
upon your table
before the flower



"You are not going to read this!" 

"Why?"

She answered in a look that needed no translation.

8 comments:

runnerfrog said...

Oh, the looks that need no translation! Gorgeous looks!
I hope I'm not drawn to your extreme poem simply by champagne, it would be a lack of respect. :-)
I know that great use of parenthesis (so inspiring & artistic) from my university and self-taught studies on literature and grammatics. I really love your poem. So deep. Lovely. inspiring as I said.

Happier new year, Trée. And many more to come.
Blessings.
C.

Trée said...

C, thank you very much for those very kind words. This one was written from a very dark place and my skill with word was not quite up to the task so I forced it on Trev. :-D

Happy New Year to you too Cristian. All the best my friend. A toast to '09. May we both live to toast an '10. :-D

Mona said...

That is a poignant blessing... It is what we call Advait ..or oneness with existence, or unity in diversity...

Trée said...

Thank you Mona. I had no idea. May your New Year be filled with blessings as the meadow is with flowers as the sky with clouds as fish in the ocean. Love and hugs my dear friend. :-)

Constance said...

Okay, I'm lost here...

The last sentence I totally get.

But the poem ? Unh-unh... sorry, Tree. Please explain more even than you did back in your comment to runnerfrog...

(hugs)

Trée said...

Annie, yesterday, around 3pm, a darkness descended upon me in the full light of day. It came from nowhere and for seemingly no reason. This was my said and sad attempt to put in words the unexpectedness, the quickness, the silent scream of the tree being cut that can neither run nor yell, of how the best intentions of the boy can involve the murder of the innocent. If I were a better poet, this might make more sense. But I mucked it up such that I decided to pass it on to Trev as a work in progress and be done with it. HTH

Trée said...

In other words, I'm just minding my own business, like the hare, taut, tight and happy. I am the tree giving smiles for free. I am the flower dancing in the sun. Yet, in my life is the hawk, the lumberjacks and the couples in love who can't just leave well enough alone. :-D

Thanks for the hugs, but I think I need something a little more invasive. Warm your hands and a few other things. I'll prep the sheets. :-D

Ms Storm said...

Titles and image, like the book cover, can be the thing to draw a person in. Those of us who come here regularly, it is a part of what we know is to come, a full chapter and all the specialness that entails, but often when I see your title and image, titles like this one and Old Light and probably every single one before them, I imagine they must work that way for anyone who is next-blogging, that from title and image they will be intrigued as to what lies within your post.

Great presentation of this piece, whatever the reasons and because of them, for going this way with this poem, it trumps. A complete chapter created from an incomplete poem, now that is clever. :-) Very resourceful.

The use of 'incomplete', even without the platform on which it was presented, seems wholly inaccurate for such eloquence of expression as is within. The magnitude, confusion, suddenness, of this 'darkness' denoted in the difficulty, in the concession. Your bracketed portrayals of the quickness however are wonderfully allegoric. :-)

In the second part, Trev in effect does what he thought he could not in the first, the imagery of the rabbit blissfully hopping along, unaware of what is up ahead and the swiftness with which everything is changed is illustrated so vividly in this passage, so well-written and expressed. This part especially till from heights blue not known
nor angle sharp perceived as flown
.

I am a rabbit hopping in a field..
I am the tree beside the path..
I am the flower growing wild..

How completely wonderful this is. Classical in the very best of ways, definitive, redolent of celebrated, enduring poems. Admirable. Charming.

I love the part that begins until a sound not of forest tree
comes in steps for me
they come in twos
they come in threes
and the description of the flower as object of pen and brush, (quill)
poet and prose
and the part about crown.

Flawed one might say since incomplete, but it would be wrong, in the fragmentation it becomes consummate.