Wednesday, December 10, 2008

606. Orbit



In orbit. Planet in view. Kyra and Von standing, both with hands behind their backs, speaking without looking at each other.

Kyra: I've been giving your situation some thought.

Von: Thought.

Kyra: No need to share--

Von: No, no, thought is good. For the subject is thought, is it not?

Kyra: Yes.

Von: I mean, what is the difference between memory and thought.

Kyra: Are you asking me?

Von: Yes.

Kyra: About the difference between the sight before our eyes, us experiencing the sight before our eyes and us talking about the sight before our eyes.

Von: Mmmmm. Explain.

Kyra: Everything moves, yes?

Von: Yes.

Kyra: Nothing does not move, right?

Von: Right.

Kyra: And if something were to not move, it would not exist.

Von: To the extent of my pea brain, I would agree.

Kyra: If something is moving, and we agree everything that is, is; then how do we account for memory.

Von: Are you asking me?

Kyra: Yes.

Von: I don't know.

Kyra: (still, neither has looked at the other) I don't know either.

8 comments:

SaffronSaris said...

Hmmmm, I'd like to think that memory also moves, because somehow, as a person ages, his perspection of what actually happened may have subtly changed. Or that 2 people who experienced the same incident went away with different take-aways and interpretations of their experience. So even though theoretically, they share the same experience, both of them have different memories.

Just my 2 pennies worth of thought.

Trée said...

Different memories that are moving, changing, never the same, never twice the same river stepped. I like your two pennies Saffy. :-)

Ms Storm said...

A chapter, at least, a day, life just doesn't get better than this. :-)

Stunningly beautiful image. It reminds me of one of the very first scenes aboard Bravo, poignant writing, a relatively early chapter, I think it may have been in relation to Kieran's illness, where Kyra has retreated to her room, in any case she stands before her window awed by the view.

I absolutely love how this scene plays out, is set, with the two of them facing the scene shown to us in the image, not looking at one another, their hands behind their backs as they converse. Ponder. Love how the two things correlate, the sense of comfort as they stand before the window, space infinite outside, feet on ground, moving and standing still and how they stand before the chasm of thought as vast as the space before them, as unknown.

Thoroughly delightful chapter!

Trée said...

Feels good to have the crew back in space. Like sailors at sea, they belong on the open water, sail a full with the winds of neither this nor that. :-D

SaffronSaris said...

Have you heard from Autumn lately? Haven't seen her in blogsphere recently.
Do you know if she has left blogging?

Autumn Storm said...

Saff, Ms Storm is a different gmail(/blogger) account that I have been using much more recently hence this is the name that I have been signed in under, and so I can only say otherwise that I have been utterly remiss in keeping up with everyone's blogs of late and vow to do better.

j said...

I am sleepy and LoOpY. I will have to re read that chapter. I couldn't wrap a tired (and already weak) mind around it.

See you again soon Tree. And I never mean to be away from the Story for so long. It's like picking up a conversation where it left off with an old friend.

G'night Tree.

j said...

This worked better in my mind at 9:45 than it did at 12:35 :D

And your comment a couple of posts back about memory helped too.

There is poetry in the next later chapters and I am excited about getting to it!!