Monday, September 11, 2006

154. Unknown

Mairi sat in the dark room, her knees pulled into her chest, her back pressed into the corner and her eyes fixed on the small ray of light outlining the door. The room was cold.

“What is that Von?” asked Kyra.

“Schematics,” replied Von, not taking his eyes off the glowing data slate. “Fascinating really.”

“Care to explain?” responded Kyra, half amused, half annoyed with Von’s self absorption.

“No other place on the planet has multi-tiered defenses in place like this alcove. This is where we will find Mairi,” said Von, smiling like a child who knows the answer, his arm waving in the air.

The room was also quiet; the kind of quiet that really wasn’t quiet at all. The smallest sound seemed magnified. No matter how hard she tried, her own breathing echoed, or so it seemed. Her heart sounded as if it had moved from her chest to her head and each beat morphed into the footsteps she knew, sooner or later, would be coming for her.

Kyra couldn’t help but reflect back Von’s smile. “So, I take it you have a plan to get past the security, whisk Mairi away, and slip back to Bravo without losing our hides?”

“Oh no, not at all,” replied Von, looking now like the boy who had misheard the question and realized he didn’t know the answer after all.

Not knowing. That was the hardest part. What were these aliens, and aliens they were, going to do, what were they capable of doing? If they were Javalinas, she would know, just as Von knew. She could prepare for the neural trace. But Arc’teryxians were unknown. No history, no knowledge, a complete blank slate. And they wanted what she had, whatever that was. My Janus, she thought. Is there anything I do know?

“What? You’re kidding,” said Kyra.

“Nope, not a clue,” said Von.

“What was that smile about then?”

“The challenge of facing the unknown. Didn’t your Papa ever teach you about the unknown? This is what separates those who ascent to the Zing Tao from those forever destined to serve as Blue Oynx. The unknown Kyra. This is what we live for, this is our calling, this is our time. What’s not to smile about?” said Von holding his arms out wide as if his whole body smiled.

Footsteps tell their own story. Fast or slow, heavy or light, loud or soft. For every step there was a stepper. For every step there was intent and purpose, someone with a mission, someone with orders, someone who knew. The steps were faint but unmistakable. Steady like a spring rain, each one slightly louder than the one before. Would they walk pass or would the rhythm change, would they stop with the click of a heel, the sound of purpose lifting a hand to the door?

“Von, Papa didn’t teach me everything but he did teach me when to lead and when to get out of the way. This mission is in your hands. Let’s go.” said Kyra.

The door opened. Light stabbed into the darkness like daggers into Mairi’s heart. “Mairi,” said Taren. "It's time. Let’s go.”

Categories: Story, Kyra, Mairi, Von, Taren

19 comments:

tsduff said...

On a side bar, I was in a Chinese market the other day... and I came across some Zing Tao beer. I bet it packs a punch :-D

Trée said...

Oh no Terry. You've put me on a mission now to find Zing Tao beer! I simply must have it!!!

A few Zing Taos will probably improve my writing too. :-D

tsduff said...

I have to wonder about that... your writing would be hard pressed to get any better than it already is. It might provide some interesting meanders though :-D

Trée said...

I am so in the mood to meander. Been too long since the last meander. A couple Zing Taos wouldn't hurt either. :-)

tsduff said...

Zing Tao Baby!

Trée said...

You took the words right out of my mouth. Zing Tao Baby! :-D

Lydia Netzer said...

Couldn't it be, more like, 40% amused and 60% annoyed?

:D

Trée said...

Lostcherrio, I think it could be. In fact, I think it probably was 60/40. :-D

Keshi said...

**Footsteps tell their own story. Fast or slow, heavy or light, loud or soft. For every step there was a stepper.

loved that!


how r we?

Keshi.

Trée said...

Keshi, I'm doing wonderful. You know, not being able to comment on your blog is just killing me. I hope soon, blogger will sort this out, but I do want you to know I am reading your blog. Hugs my dear sweet angel. Next time you have a less than fantabulous weekend, just come to the bridge. I think I have a little somtin somtin to put the smile back where it belongs. :-D

Dzeni said...

I love the way that you alternate between what Mairi is experiencing and the plans to rescue her. Simply brilliant.

Karen said...

I like Von's spirit but he hasn't thought this through. I hope he doesn't lead them to more trouble, they've got enough.

*HUUUGS* to you and Jack ;-)

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. I couldn't get out of my head the fact that most captives must have in their mind what is being done to rescue me so I wanted to put fear and hope side by side. Sometimes it is hard to believe that someone out there is doing something to help us.

Trée said...

Karen, Von has a good heart and a lot of confidence in his training and ablilities. He also knows, because of Rog's condition, they just don't have much time.

Jack hopes you had a good weekend. :-)

Karen said...

Ah, I see... well if you have faith in Von then I do too ;-)

I had a nice weekend, after I finished my pile of homework. I was "lost" (hid from most everyone LOL) for two days while watching a marathon of Lost, Season 2. :-D

Trée said...

Karen, I have all the faith in the world in Von. I have no idea how they are going to do what must be done, but some how, some way, Von and Kyra will figure it out.

Good to know you were lost but now are found. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

So wonderful, two scenes running along a parallel timeframe destined to meet at some unknown point in the future. I've said it to you before what a talent you have for conjuring up images from relatively few words, such a thing for example as Mairi's knees being tucked into her chest, such a simple statement really, but it sets the mood for the whole scene, tells us of her mood.
A few of your cliffhangars ending on a much more quiet note, less explosive, but no less gripping, like very much how you do that too.
Terry said it best: your writing would be hard pressed to get any better than it already is. I wholeheartedly agree!

Trée said...

Sweetest, I can not begin to tell you how much I have missed your comments and your insight into the characters and the story. I get so energized after reading what you have to say, flattery and all. :-D

I've been trying to put more effort into saying more with fewer words, of trying to be less fancy with similes and metaphor and yet not lose the brush that paints a three dimensional picture. I'm reading more great authors, trying to see what they do and how they do it and I must say, the writing of late, for me, has been a labor of love. Having your comments is simply icing on the cake and right now my fingers are all sticky and I'm loving licking them clean. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

...pure bliss, not least walking down the lane of memories of just when and how (in this case) Von (and Kyra of course) captured hearts.