Tuesday, September 12, 2006

155. Unbound

This chapter is best when playing Robbie Robertson’s Unbound as you let the prose saturate your imagination.

With eyes of fire
No one can see

Scene starts with Mairi, hands bound behind her back walking down the corridor with Taren, a foot taller, somberly behind her. Mairi’s head is hanging down, her eyes on the floor, her face blank and unreadable. Their pace is deliberate. The soundtrack plays over ambient noise in the scene. Their footsteps are silent. Camera plays at three-fourths speed giving the subtle impression of mood. Mairi lifts her head, eyes fixed straight ahead. She releases the burden of resistance. Unbound.

I am lost
I am lost
Has anybody seen me
I am lost

Camera cuts away to Von and Kyra walking toward the Pod, both dressed in all black long coats, fully armed. The two silhouetted figures walk toward the lighted ramp, postures erect with resolve. Doubt released. Unbound.


Oh nothing is forgotten
Only left behind
Wherever I am
She leads me down
Unbound

Camera then pans to the interior of Bravo. Yul is walking from the lab to the chapel. Her face, like Mairi’s is blank and sober. Her eyes glassy, reflecting the soft light in the corridor. Reaching the chapel, she sees a warm red glow and a figure standing next to the votive candles. Emy turns her head in silence, watching Yul enter the chapel and walk beside her. Yul looks at Em and then slowly looks back at the candles. No words are spoken between the two. Camera moves to a close up of the candle’s reflection in Yul’s eye and then fades to black just as the soundtrack comes to an end. Unbound.

No borders
No fences
No walls
No borders
No fences
Unbound

Oh, listen for the night chant
Oh, listen for the night chant

Like a moth to flame
She leads me down
Unbound





Categories: Story, Kyra, Von, Yul, Emy, Taren, Mairi

21 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, that was great! The lyrics and the song fits the mood. Excellent... but now they're unbound, I'm on the edge of my seat again.

Trée said...

Karen, Unbound is such a moodful song, I couldn't help but imagine a hundred different chapters each time I listened to it. And I knew, it was only a matter of time before the image, the song and the chapter became one with the story. :-D

Glad to see you enjoying the story. It only gets better from here. ;-)

Karen said...

I did go listen to the song and it takes me back to the times when I've felt "unbound" and I'm sure there will be other times in the future. Thanks to introducing me to Robbie Robertson. :-)

Trée said...

Karen, something tells me you would love Venus Hum. Start with their "Big Beautiful Sky" album. My personal faves on that album are "Wordless May", "Springtime #2", "Beautiful Spain", "Bella Luna" and "Sonic Boom." The whole album is good and I didn't even mention "Montana", "Birds and Fishes" or "Hummingbirds" which are all just great too. :-)

On the "Songs for Superheros" album, I can't get enough of "William's Last Day At Work." It's our theme song for Fridays in the office. Now go put on your Rocket Shoes and Whip out your Superpowers! :-D

Trée said...

Oh Karen, did the chapter take on a whole new feel with Unbound playing in the background? :-)

tsduff said...

I don't have the music, but I like the visual way with which you presented this chapter. Many descriptions here - somber and foreboding.

Trée said...

Thanks Terry. I was in the mood this morning for something a little different, something I had not done before. I feel like this story is on a rollercoaster and we are heading toward the top. Be prepared to hang on! :-D

Dzeni said...

This is a very powerful piece, even without the music / song which I have never heard. Very impressive. Best part is, it leaves me hanging out for more (not exactly news, I know).

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. If you get a chance to hear Unbound, well, it simply takes this chapter to another level.

Autumn Storm said...

Hey Honey, I'm home!
:-D

Trée said...

I just saw that gorgeous Denmark icon. Wooooooohooooooo!!!!! Has it been like twenty years??? :-D

Coffee dear? :-)

Autumn Storm said...

Raincheck - then we can linger for longer :-)

Trée said...

My day is yours Sweetest. Now go run your errands and hurry back. We have much to discuss. :-D

Trée said...

Sweetest, FYI, since I upgraded to blogger.beta I can no longer comment on old blogger blogs that do not allow Anon comments. Your blog is set to not allow Anon comments and as such I cannot leave a comment.

Autumn Storm said...

Yikes, I shall change that pronto! :-)

Not heard the song either, but the words in themselves lend plenty. Boundless, with yet another twist of something new, am not surprised that I am surprised anew :-D Excellent!

Karen said...

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have to find them :-)

Yes, I think the song brought more emotion to the story.

Trée said...

Karen, it is hard to listen to Big Beautiful Sky and not think of gorgeous Utah. "Venus" aka Annette grew up in Montana and the music just makes you want to go run through a valley of flowers and up a snow covered mountain. Some call it electronic dance music. I say its just fun to listen to not to mention Annette is a real cutie. :-0

Trée said...

Sunshine, thanks for changing your settings. I'm lost, no pun intended, if I can't comment on someone's blog. :-)

You know, I work very hard to figure out a way to make you say wow. :-D

Brace yourself! I think I might have another wow or two left in the lappy. :-D

Karen said...

Montana is gorgeous too, I haven't seen all of it. The Big Sky State is referred to correctly, it's incredible.

Trée said...

Been there a couple times and after I got use to the wind, I loved it! I do love the Big Sky.

Autumn Storm said...

Overwhelmed all over again at just how spine-tingling-ly wonderful with the song playing in the background this chapter is!