Sunday, September 03, 2006

148. Sweet Darkness

Trev stood waiting on the ramp, his silhouette backlit with golden light from inside the ship. He saw Von and Em first, carrying what looked like enough weapons to blow the bay doors if need be. They moved with a stern urgency barely glancing his way. Right behind them was an odd shaped figure and what looked to be Yul attached to it.

“Trev, give me a hand,” yelled Kyra over the din of explosions. Lying Rog on the stretcher, Kyra grabbed Trev by the shoulders forcing his eyes to meet hers. Trev had seen that intensity once before. “There will be no try Trev. You make this happen. I want Rog back just exactly the way he was.” Kyra seemed not to blink. Neither her hands nor her eyes let go of Trev.

“I’m going to need help,” responded Trev.

“Yul, go with him. Now move. Go,” said Kyra. “Von, where are you?”

“In the command center,” said Von.

“Update on those doors?”

“Internal damage to the ship’s central computers is forcing me to bypass normal routing and access the redundant conduit, which I’m assuming actually exists. If it doesn’t—“

“If it doesn’t you will find a way Von,” interrupted Kyra.

Von smiled. “Yes ma’am. I will find a way.”

“Kyra, come in, this is Trev.”

“Go ahead.”

“Rog has lost a lot of blood. More than we have in the lab to replace. His right arm requires more expertise than I have if it is to be saved. Assuming . . .”

“Assuming what Trev?”

“Kyra, Rog has severe trauma to the upper spine and central chest cavity. I am doing everything I can,” said Trev. “But . . .”

“Damn it Trev, say what’s on your mind. But what?”

“But without a miracle, I’m not sure how he is going to survive. The hynerian body was not designed to take this much punishment. Even if I had disposal of a first-class emergency facility I’m not sure we could do anything more than prolong the inevitable.”

“Then by Janus, prolong. Prolong like you’ve never prolonged before. You’re the only chance he has Trev. There is no one else,” said Kyra.

“Von? Give me some good—“ A massive explosion rocked the bay. Orange red flames reflected off the glassy surfaces of Kyra’s blue eyes like fire on the sea. And then, silence followed darkness as it must be when one slips peacefully into the depths of the ocean.

Categories: Story, Kyra, Rog, Von, Trev

11 comments:

Stargazer said...

Wow, lots of action here! Love it!

*Sits waiting patiently for more*

Oh, and a super image too :)

Trée said...

Thanks Deb. :-)

I'm really enjoying the story at this point too. The next two chapters are in my head, now I just need to create the right images to go and put fingers to keyboard. :-D

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie. Just popping by. Lots going on here that I've been missing.
I'm trying to get back into my morning routine. We'll see how that goes. Wish me luck. :)

I'm commenting on this particular post because the image is magnificent. I could write a thousand words around it. I wish that big red spot in the middle of the chest would change colors. It does in my mind. Oh the things that spot signifies.

I do hope you're well. I miss you (and everyone) terribly. I think of you every night....right around 10pm...when I look up at the moon.

Great big hugs!
Aggie

Anonymous said...

Beta. Ptooie.
Glad I read your post about posting anonymously.
:D

Aggie Again

Trée said...

Aggie, so good to see you stopping by again. So many bloggers have gone silent of late I was fearful you were slipping away and that made me very sad. So today, I am very happy again. :-D

I really do love the new version of blogger that is still in beta. It is light years ahead of the old one. As with most things in beta, they are still working on a few kinks and commenting between the old blogger and the new one is still being worked on. Some old blogger accounts can still comment but others can't, except by going the Anon route. Still, if you get the chance to upgrade, I wouldn't hesitate. Have a great week my dear sweet sexy woman. I think of you too everynight, right about 10pm as I play a little Chris Isaak. :-)

Karen said...

*sitting on the edge of my seat, almost biting my nails* Trev has it in him to save Rog, right??? Please tell me so!

I hope you and Jack had a great weekend ;-) *HUGS*

Trée said...

I think we are going to have to wait and see just what Trev has it in him to do but I think he's in over his head at the moment. :-)

Anonymous said...

Abso*lutely stunning fractal!! More later :-), miss you, xoxo
Autumn

Trée said...

Thanks Sweetest. :-)

Catch you soon.

Karen said...

Oh yeah, divert my attention with a heart-touching chapter, why don't you! ;-) You are not off the hook, I'm dying to know what happened here!

Trée said...

So I see it didn't work. Mmm, well patience my dear. All in due time. If you go to Trebuchet you can try and decipher a few cryptic image clues as to where this is going. One or two of those latest images we will see here as a missing piece of the puzzle. :-)