Thursday, September 14, 2006

157. Me and You

“Yul, Rog is awake and he’s asking for you,” said Trev.

“On my way,” responded Yul.

I go nowhere high
Go nowhere warm
Until I see your smile and feel your calm
And I lick a dime
I crave for you boy
You’re like a parachute descending from the sky

Running down the corridor, Yul flung open the lab door nearly knocking Trev down in her rush to see Rog. Still lying in bed, his eyes looked sleepy and somewhat dull from the pain meds. She was stunned by just how quickly his body seemed to be deteriorating. Skin once tight and firm and hard now appeared loose and baggy, accentuating the wrinkles formed from his ever present smile into folds of valleys. His arms, once like bulging pythons had been transformed into withering twigs barely capable of lifting their own weight. He hardly looked like the same hynerian.

And I’m sure you’re on your way
Yes I’m sure you’re on the road

“I’m here Rog,” whispered Yul with a tenderness born of fear that even words could do him harm if spoken too loudly.

Rog looked at Yul without moving his face, his eyes slowly rotating in their sockets as if it took every last ounce of energy just to maneuver them. Then he smiled causing the folds of skin on his cheeks to pull tight like a tent being stretched. She had promised herself she would be strong but the power of his smile unleashed a torrent of tears washing away the last of her resolve.

I go nowhere high
Go nowhere warm
Until you’re by my side
Your hand in mine
And I’ve always known
You’re like a feather
You go where wind and fire melt together

“Hold my hand Yul,” said Rog, his eyes working hard to stay focused on her face. “You know, I am a very lucky hynerian, very, very lucky my dear.”

“How is that Rog,” said Yul with a slight sniffle, no longer caring that she couldn’t control the flow of tears.

“Because I have you and I have come to realize there is nothing more in the universe I need, nothing more I want than to know that you are here for me, now and forever.”

Yul melted. Rog became blurry in her eyes as she gripped his hands as only lovers on the edge can do. “I love you Rog and we will pull through this, together, me and you.”

“Yes, me and you, together,” said Rog, his voice barely audible, his smile starting to fade. “I’m feeling tired Yul. I think I’m going to sleep now.”

Yul gritted her teeth and nodded her head. “Okay baby. Okay.”

And I’m sure you’re on your way
Yes I’m sure you’re on the road
And I’m sure you’re faster than before
Yes I know you’re somewhere on the road
I reckon there is nothing more to say


Music for this chapter courtesy of Kate Havnevik’s Nowhere Warm on the Melankton album. Rog developed a taste for Norwegian music back on earth. There will be a quiz later on this subject.

Categories: Story, Yul, Rog, Trev

22 comments:

Trée said...

Olaf, my hat off to you for putting the phrase "bulging pythons" into my vocab. I was determined to somehow work it into the story.

Kel-Bell said...

"Oh BeHAVVEEEE"

-Austin Powers

Trée said...

Kel, :-D

tsduff said...

Okay, nothing like an eyefull of tears to start out my day...Your writing is stunning.

Trée said...

Oh Terry, you are working your way into my heart with comments like that. :-)

I've been feeling under the weather the last couple of days and being sick changes your perspective. That, and Kate's music just inspired the heck out of me to revisit Yul and Rog today.

Thanks again for those very kind words. :-)

Trée said...

Nothing wrong with me that a few shots of single barrel won't cure. :-D

Just read your post and must have left a comment about the same time that you were here. I don't know who or where your friend is, but I'm always here for you Meg. :-)

Still pounding fists on table to the chant of more, more and more. I'm talking clothes here Meg, since I've already seen the pure nakedness of your beautiful soul. :-)

tsduff said...

Nothing wrong with me that a few shots of single barrel won't cure.

Glad that isn't a tazer barrel you are referring to! More like the single barrel of that cranberry stuff you are always raving about :-)

Hope you are back up top very soon.

Trée said...

Terry, I think I'm over the top of this minor distraction. If not, there is always plan B. :-D

tsduff said...

WHICH IS?

Trée said...

:-D

I knew you would ask. I don't know what Plan B is, but there is always a Plan B--Always. :-D

tsduff said...

Good policy ;-D

Trée said...

Terry, I just added a couple more lines at the end of this one. I'm still debating on whether to keep them in there or not but I wanted to add a little more drama to the end and create a possible segue to another chapter.

Autumn Storm said...

A wonderful piece of writing!
You took us to the edge and then you left us there, hovering, and fearful, only thing preventing fullscale panic that something bad will happen to Rog, a previous chapter - thank goodness for those! :-)
More than anything, more than the words spoken poignant though they are, the imagery is incredible, especially that first scene, Yul's haste and the description of Rog. This really is a wonderful piece of writing, full-bodied.

Trée said...

Sunshine, believe it or not, I went to grab some lunch and I was listening to Nowhere Warm in the car and this chapter just popped into my head. So I stuffed down my food and wrote this one before it slipped away. Funny how these things work.

For anyone who read this chapter this morning, I've added two more lines at the end, which may be leading us into Rog's dreams as he drifts off to sleep. What we find there is anyone's guess. :-D

As always my Sweetest, thanks for your very, very kind words.

Anonymous said...

Ok I'm all sniffly after that. I'm such a sucker for the emotional stuff. I love this blog.

Trée said...

Bean, so good to see you stopping by again. Careful about going into the archives of this story. There are a few chapters that should have a kleenex warning on them. :-D

Thanks for the kind words.

Dzeni said...

Very moving! Its Friday afternoon here and this was a great start to my weekend.

Trée said...

Oh, such a sweet thing to say Jenni. :-)

Have a great weekend and as always, your kind words are most appreciated.

Autumn Storm said...

Morning sweet pea, and a happy friday to you! :-)

Trée said...

Afternoon Sunshine. Hope your weekend is getting off to a great start and that M had a fantastic first couple of days at school. :-)

Stargazer said...

Ah Trée... great writing, brilliant fractals.
Happy Friday :)

Trée said...

Thanks Deb. Hope you and Wontar have a great weekend too! :-)