Friday, September 01, 2006

146. He's Not Heavy

“Rog, oh my Janus, what the frail happened to you?” said Yul, fighting back the tears. Rog’s roughhewn body, lying limp, his eyes dark, lifeless, turned her stomach inside out. "This can't be. It can't be. It won't happen like this! Von, tell me it won't happen like this."

“He’ll live,” said Von. “I suggest we get back to ship,” lowering his eyes in Yul’s direction. “Kyra, can you walk?”

“I’ll be fine, but we aren’t leaving Mairi.”

“I don’t think you have to worry about us leaving her,” said Von. “She’s already gone.”

“What?” asked Kyra.

“I saw two escape pods. I would bet my shield Mairi was in one of them. The Vollmond’s are going to destroy this vessel, and if we don’t get off this deathtrap, Mairi will be the least of our concerns.”

“Trev, prepare Bravo for immediate launch and lower the ramp. We’ve got wounded,” said Kyra. “Emy, help Von with the weapons. Yul, I’m going to need your help with Rog.”

Yul lifted Rog onto Kyra's back, her hands sticky with his dark red blood. He had never felt so heavy nor had she ever felt so strong.

“Kyra?”

“What is it Trev?”

"We’re not going anywhere if we can’t get the bay doors open.”

Kyra looked at Von with more than just the weight of Rog on her shoulders. “I’ll take care of the bay doors,” said Von. “Tell Trev to prepare the lab. Rog will need his full concentration.”

“Trev? commed Kyra.”

“I heard. What’s wrong with Rog?”

“Hard to tell in the dark. Looks like severe las shot wounds. He’s lost a lot of blood. Get your mind right Trev. We are not going to lose him. Do you hear me. We will not lose Rog.”

Categories: Story, Kyra, Yul, Von, Rog, Trev

4 comments:

tsduff said...

Of course I tend to personify what I read... into realities which I know. That passage about Rog is chilling... lifeless eyes and I can barely continue.

Trée said...

Terry, I'm still working on this one. Not sure how much more I'll add to this chapter tonight but to give you a little heart keep in mind we know from Memoirs or Beer that Rog makes it to Earth.

Anonymous said...

Thoughts drifted to the story behind the song, adding just a little extra poignancy (sp?) to the post, not that it needed any, as Terry pointed out. Fascinating though it really shouldn't be, just what can come out of us when needs be, especially when others need us. Action, yet the word 'family' is what I think when I read this post. Once again, I have to say, I think it wonderful how you are able to cram so much into such relatively few words and all you manage to do is to highlight those key elements even more. Excellent!
Autumn

Trée said...

Sweetest, so good to see you online. As I think you know, I upgraded to beta.blogger and we are experiencing some growing pains. No worries, I'll take you anyway I can get you. :-D

As always, thanks for the thoughtful and insightful comment. Like Terry, you guys often show me parts of this story that I didn't know were there, and as such, contribute, in my mind, to the story as a whole. For that, I am very thankful and grateful.

I'm trying to say less, use less words and allow the reader's imagination to play a part and fill in the blanks. Sometimes I do a little bit better than other times.

Watched the "DVD" again last night and couldn't help but think of you the whole time. Take care my dearest sweetest one. Missing you more than you know.

The Gang :-)