Saturday, November 05, 2005

Dance with Me


Dance with Me was inspired by Liz and her post today on her first dancing shoes. If you are not reading her daily postings, you're missing out on some of the best writing in the blogosphere. The more I tried to take just a quote, the more I realized the essense of the story was lost without the whole. So without further ado, here is Liz.


Every Saturday since I was three, I spent at dance class. Our dance instructor was from Russia. Her name was music—Rosalind. She loved the dance, Miss Rosalind. Because of her, I love it too.

Each class was held in formal fashion. Miss Rosalind taught a silent group—black leotards and white ballet shoes. Miss Wright, her pianist would play, but never said a word. Parents could come in and sit, provided they were well behaved.

Every plié was made and held until Miss Rosalind had checked it. Every arm was adjusted until its placement was perfect.

“Lead with the wrist. Point your toes. Concentrate.” These were words she often said. She said them even more when the year came that our class was ready to go on pointe. That year we’d earn our toe shoes—real ballerina shoes.

“You will not buy them,” Miss Rosalind mandated, “until you have permission.” That year our class of girls learned what it meant to earn something. Week after week we’d do our workout at the barré, then on the floor. Then at the end of class, one maybe two would be told “Tell your mother she may buy your shoes, but to bring them here.” No purchase was final until Miss Rosalind checked the fit.

The process made the rest of us work even harder every week. There seemed to be no logic to which girl she would choose next. We watched. We wondered and we saw. It wasn’t necessarily the best, the brightest, or the one who worked the hardest. She may have chosen randomly to totally confuse us.

When my day came. “Tell your mother,” is all she said.

That was my first experience with bliss. I wondered why people on the street couldn’t see this change in me. I would now be the owner of real ballerina shoes.

My mother took me to the store where they sold the precious shoes. The salesman, as he fitted me, asked what color we thought we wanted. I told him pink.

“Oh you’re one of Rosalind’s students,” he quickly said “She’s the best. You worked hard for these I’d bet.”

“Yes, sir, I did.” was all I said. That night I asked if I could sleep with them.

Before the next class, Miss Rosalind made sure the shoes fit properly. Then I got to dance at last in my own ballerina shoes. It wasn’t as easy as it looked. No one had warned me that they would hurt or that they take some practice.

I’d worked so hard to earn my first pair of real dancing shoes.

I’d have to work even harder just to use them.


49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tree,
It's so fabulously beautiful, so light, so airy in my favorite prism--it sings of wild violets dancing in the breeze. Oh Tree, I feel my arms an legs moving as I look inside it.

Thank you, you very special person. You've touched my heart so deeply.

smiles,
Liz

Trée said...

Oh Liz, I was so worried you wouldn't like it. You've made my evening. I feel the glow from your comments and I'm grabbing my sunglasses as I read them again. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully written memories, beautiful fractal.

Anonymous said...

I read this when it was posted and just loved it, the picture is beautiful and goes with it perfectly, very nice job :0)

Trée said...

Thanks Sunshine. How was your day?

Trée said...

Hey Trace, Liz writes the most amazing pieces and I'm so thankful she lets me attach my images to them. I hope you had a good day. :-)

Anonymous said...

my day was peachy wonderful :0)

hope yours was the same :0)

Trée said...

Trace, it was almost 80 degrees here today. Sure didn't feel like fall. How did you singing go?

Anonymous said...

Its always a good thing :0) whether it is in the shower or in front of hundreds of people, its all good, I don't get to do it nearly enough :0)


weather was great here too, but I am ready for fall and now :0)

Trée said...

Voice still like warm honey? Did you attract any bees to your hive?

buzz, buzz :-)

Anonymous said...

Did you attract any bees to your hive? ;0)

liquid gold babe, just oozes all over :0)

Trée said...

Now that's a visual worth remembering. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh look at that flowing seamless movement...so graceful, so elegant, one continuous movement of perfect harmony.

Loved Liz's post (as I let her know) and I love the image you associated with it.

Anonymous said...

:0)

Trée said...

Jennifer, thanks for those very kind words. Liz's words make it easy to do my job--the images just pop from her writing. Glad to see you stop by and hope to see you around again. :-)

Trée said...

Trace, you ever see the movie Angels in the Outfield with Tony Danza and Danny Glover?

Anonymous said...

can't say that I have :0)

why?

Trée said...

It was just on and it makes me cry everytime I see it.

Anonymous said...

awwww, I didn't realize it was sad, or is it that heartwarming, fist around your heart cry?

Trée said...

More heartwarming. There is one or two scenes that deal with believing in yourself when no one else does that touches a place deep in my heart and causes tears to flow. If you haven't read my puppy post, look way down on my sidebar for my fav post links and click on puppies. That story makes me cry or almost cry everytime I read it. It's that kinda cry.

Anonymous said...

yep thats that fist around your heart, hitch in your breath kinda thing........man now I gotta go find some kleenex

Trée said...

Let me know when you get back. I'll go make the martini's :-)

Trée said...

Did you like the puppies post?

Anonymous said...

yes please, since you did, make me cry :0)

I was already watching the last part of the most tragic mini series ever made (don't know why I do that LOL even if it is a favorite)

Anonymous said...

Looking back up at the farmer, he said, "You see sir, I don't run too well myself, and he will need someone who understands."

I loved it

Trée said...

What mini series were you watching? Martinis on the way. One or two olives?

That's the line that just rips your heart out of your chest.

Anonymous said...

2 please and you could have warned me :0)

I am watching the end of The Thorn Birds (great book too)


oh and in case you don't make it back over to my place :0) the dolphin picture?....I got to swim wtih those dolphins, it was so awesome.

Anonymous said...

and yes I went back to my place and looked and you already know about the dolphins LOL

Trée said...

Sounds wonderful. You might need a full post telling us all about that. Not many get that opportunity.

Anonymous said...

I do love those once in a lifetime experiences, I've had a few on my travels :0)

Trée said...

Tell us about them on your blog. Show me yours and I'll show you mine :-)

Anonymous said...

Show me yours and I'll show you mine :-)


:0) I am losing my touch, I have absolutely no smart ass comeback for that LOL

pics maybe, but it would definitely lose something if I tried to write it, writing is not where my talent lies :0) now put it to music......:0)

I'll give you goose bumps :0)

Trée said...

Oh, you already give me goose bumps dear. :-)

Anonymous said...

:0) I try my best :0)

Trée said...

You're hired. lol

Anonymous said...

now about the benefits package.......:0)

Anonymous said...

Morning, sweetness. Had a so-so day.
I may steal the suggestion of holiday memories and talk a little about my summer trip -
doesn't come naturally at the moment like it used to!

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday! Hugs.

Anonymous said...

hey..your work get's better and better methinks. Me strauss, that's great writing. :o)

Anonymous said...

Trée,
Your fractal is very beautiful, and I loved it, I feel like dancing myself!

Trée said...

Kate, I love the way this fractal communicates in it's simplicity. I feel a sense of Snoopy happiness, of two Snoopies dancing together. There is much joy in this image and the story by Liz is magnificent. Thanks for stopping by again. :-)

Trée said...

Morning k. Your kind words are always welcomed here dear. Hope you are feeling better and you're having a great weekend. :-)

Trée said...

Morning Sunshine. Going to be a beautiful day here. Sun is out, rather warm but not too much. Wish you were here so I could show you the sights and engage your mind and emotions. Have a great day dear. :-)

Anonymous said...

You make me wish I were there too :-). Enjoy and relish.
A,x

Trée said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

A beautiful, joyful story Liz.

I am transformed, as I read this, to the child who waked into painting class for the first time. I was so young and so afraid I wouldn't do well. Weeks passed before I realized I was just pleasing the teacher. When I started pleasing myself, painting from my heart, only then did I paint well.

It is a good memory. Liz's and mine. Thank you, Liz, for sharing and for reminding.
The fractal looks like a waltz. I guess we're all dancing our memories together. How wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this is what love is like in Heaven. No bodies, just glowing spirits.

Trée said...

Jack, that is a wonderful way to see this fractal. You always amaze me with your insight and intrepretations. I love it!

Anonymous said...

It is almost impossible for me to get serious when I see those two colors together... I loved them so much that I painted my entire bedroom that shade of green with purple window trims when I was 13. And when you mentioned Snoopy dancing, I just smiled all over. Snoopy is my favorite dancing beagle - the picture of perfect joy as he dances. What a fun fractal - and thanks to Liz for her story. Makes me wish I was a dancer.

Trée said...

Thanks Terry. I really enjoyed creating this one to fit with Liz's story. As soon as I read her story I had this image done in about 10 minutes. I had spent the entire day messing around before and had created nothing. Amazing what a little inspiration can do. Those colors do go well together don't they. :-)