Saturday, December 12, 2009

Day: 29-30

day twenty-nine:

felt perfectly normal all day long


day thirty:

feels as day twenty-nine, which is to say as normal as I have felt in recent memory--yesterday I wrote a short piece that was written in the way I wrote premed, that is, it was written from a place of imaginative flow--and this is a very different sense than the first twenty-eight days--again this morning, although I have not written, ideas are flowing again, imaginative thought is again occurring, not exactly as before, but to flow at all is a significant positive step--virtually every side-effect, to the best of my awareness is, to one degree or another, in retreat--sensation on the crown of my head, however, remains consistent

in order to understand change, a basis must be established, a consistent theme, a baseline upon which any variation will be self-evident--reading, the way I read, my relation to words, to sentences and paragraphs, to works as a whole gives me that opportunity--as my creative imaginative ability has slowly started to return I have also noticed a return to old reading habits--individual words are important again--plot is not or I should say less so--appreciation of the beauty of prose is returning--reading pace has slowed--ideas again are emerging within the reading--the urge to buy books, to own them, has returned as too the desire to spend time in a bookstore

this evening, for the first time in thirty days, listened to music and felt, what exactly I can't pinpoint, but I felt something that before was not there--and it felt good--I can only describe the feeling as a sense of recovery, of return, of finding what had been lost, of tasting again the first fresh fruit of summer--but the feeling is also one of relief and gratitude, to know music as a gift, not a given--and there is too a sense of humility but not so much humility as what I would call the opposite of hubris, which is often seen as humility but the feeling is more subtle than just plain humility and feels more like the utter absence of hubris and in that absence something else flows into the vacated cavity--exactly what that is, something close to humility, is what is experienced

likewise, the idea of a tear, of crying, seemed possible, as a response one could have--I say this because in the last thirty days, not only could I not cry but I could not conceive of crying--so to have the idea emerge and to think it could be possible is again something new, different and welcomed as a return to feeling fully human, fully alive, fully capable of engagement--for the record, I didn't cry nor was there an urge to cry, but the idea is there that it could happen, an idea beyond the basic academic sense

I don't know how to explain it--all day today I have felt like a kid in a candy shop--ideas, creative ideas have been occurring all day long--I have envisioned several different chapters--this is the way it used to be--and today, for the first time since starting meds, I have seen my mind work on a creative level as it did before meds--again, for the record, dosage has not been altered or changed--I cannot tell you how exciting it is to be able to think, to have thought happen, to branch, to mind map naturally--to have again a sense of flow in thought, a sense of melody, to be able to think lyrically--this is how it was before--for thirty days I've lived with that ability absence--to feel it return, as it has today, all day long is just beyond my ability to describe--grateful joy is perhaps the right way--and I have surrounded myself with wood--knocking and knocking and knocking

10 comments:

Lady of the Lakes said...

This is such incredibly good news. It makes my heart smile to know that you are well on your way to recovery. What about music? Has your enjoyment for music returned in any capacity? If not, maybe you should just leave it on in the background, volume turned down low. Maybe then, it will find it's way back to your heart and soul. I have always believed in a higher power. I think, maybe, the sensation on the crown of your head could be the "hand" of a greater being, steering you. I would not be surprised if, when all is said and done, and you are completely "normal"...that senstion ceases, because "he" will know you have found your way.

Love Always.

Thoughts and Prayers remain.

Tight Hugs

H

Trée said...

Music is still not as it was, but I have noticed positive movement. Sound, likewise, is close to returning to normal, which is to say neither muted nor disassociated. More important than status is direction and I feel I am moving, day by day, in the right direction, in a healthy direction, in a direction where I can again experience happiness and joy and appropriate sadness and grief too. In other words, the full spectrum of emotion.

Ian Peaston said...

It sounds like direction is victory here, Trée! That music is coming back is wonderful; maybe it won't be as it was, but it may become something else, even deeper, in time.

Regards,

Ian

Trée said...

Ian, I keep telling myself that nothing stays the same and that the changes I am experiencing are leading me to new territory, unexplored territory; and I am convinced, maybe delusionally so, that what emerges is going to be better than before, that my mind is rewiring itself, is working feverishly to reconstruct and construct anew, neural pathways heretofore not known by me. At least that is my belief. :-D

Autumn said...

Love, hugs and immense happiness for you.

Lady of the Lakes said...

Welcome back, my dear friend. It is soooo good to have you back. The world is now a much brighter place.

Of course the thoughts and prayers will remain, and ANYTIME...any time you need a hug my arms are open, as is that warm plate.

H

Lady of the Lakes said...

I feel when you add to your posts, I must acknowledge...Again, I am so happy for you.

thoughts, prayers and Hugs continue.

H

Ms Storm said...

I had but a minute last I was here. The message remains unchanged, how filling of love, the desire to hug and of pure happiness to read of these last two days, to know that you have felt the flow and joy of creation, which I imagine is of such great relief and inspiration, that you tallied up a significant number of smiles today for this alone. Even when you were not 'in the flow', feeling what you normally felt, your brilliance shone bright still, when you have felt that any such capabilities were numbed, it was still so much in evidence even in your first journal entries, your mind, your heart - beautiful as ever, but I am so very happy for you that you are feeling much more at ease, better generally.
Love and hugs, x
..you've written more...

Ms Storm said...

Reading the continuance, created still more joy. It was only natural to think, guided by the expression and emotion of your words, of true appreciation of life. I've said it here before, spoken of a longing for the ability to remember always, every moment, that life is a gift and to live each moment well, live it full, and yet our lives advocate taking certain things for granted, what those things are differ from one person to the next, and though it is possible to truly appreciate, to feel acutely blessings that we have in our lives, being without, having lost, realizing the nature of 'a gift' gives us an understanding, an appreciation that is difficult to achieve or aspire to otherwise. The way that you have written of thought, of creative writing, of tears, of music, of reading, how gladdening it was to read, to hear such thankfulness and know that within it, in the gift re-given so to speak, you will know its worth and value even more. To know that as they were, you were aware, receptive and responsive, inspiring in your inspiration, to know that the light and joy of these things are reappearing, and for the act in itself, the re-emergence, the shimmer of your shine will be enhanced. I wish so much happiness for you always, for your life to be filled with all the things that make your soul shine, words and music amongst those, to read your words, I am so immensely happy for you, for the many, many positives within, for the voice with which you speak. Love, x

Woman in a Window said...

I'll knock too
and then run my hand along it
and then smell it.
I've cedar kindling to start my fire.
It is a joy before its use
and it is a joy when it burns.

Yes, knock on wood. It is very, very good to see you again.

xo
erin