Friday, December 18, 2009

702. clothes

Her clothes were on the floor, on top of his. Thrown, not folded. Thrown in the way one remembers not the throwing, thrown in the way a tree throws autumn leaves to the wind, abandoned one could say, tossed with haste, without care, a testament, or perhaps evidence. His shirt fell first, empty sleeves now at the bottom of the scrum. Then pants still belted, heavy denim, male heft, the smell of him as wood and sweat, of a certain sweet musk neither dirty nor clean, neither child nor parent, not even of earth or sky. He smelled this way. Not so much intoxicating as otherworldly, but not so much as otherworldly as someplace secret, like a hidden cave or an undiscovered lake upon the mountain, of air not breathed before, of skin warm and supple, slightly sweaty, a mixture of salt to the tongue and of eyes drinking, thirsty as if sight itself in the dim light could quench a parch not known of lip or finger, neck or thigh, breast or nipple.

And then, as if children dancing as they saw their parents dance, her blouse sat upon his denim, not with force, or command but not demur either. More like a feather, or a bird, or a balloon come to rest, softly and the hint of lavender was as warm air, buffeting what was not masculine or rough or hewn but the opposite of those things, of what moved not as water but more like milk and not so much like milk as like cream, a certain languor, purposeful, mindful, but not with agenda, not with device or artifice or manipulation, not even subtle manipulation, or even subconscious machination for the falling was as light upon the floor. A warmth like that. Quiet like that. Natural as that light from the window. The light of a blue sky, of a day where flowers hue and breezes run like recess.

This was before and the night was still and silent. The sheets warm of body. His breathing steady in peaceful sleep. The clothes, too, looked peaceful in the moonlight, looked in their tangle as canvas discarded and she thought of painting, of the painting that happens before the canvas, implied with brush and stroke, but still she wondered, what is a painting, what would it look like without the canvas. Can it be seen, this canvasless painting. Can it be known, to stand before the medium of cloth and to know what is seen is but a mirage, a mirror, only a finger, pointing to something else, as if the painter were mute, the artist speaking with sweet oil a language not of sight or touch or any sense. It was like that, this sitting, in the quiet, looking upon their clothes.

18 comments:

Trée said...

A chapter like this one, where thought simply flows, and the idea of writing vanishes and a sense of dictation occurs, of recording the dendritic mind unhindered, unreined, was not possible in the first thirty days. The excitement I feel is not for what is written, but for the fact of how it was written, that, quality notwithstanding, the mental processes that I knew before are, day by day, returning to me. And too, I am humbled, for what is returning is not by my own hand, no more than a gift from another.

Lady of the Lakes said...

I love the fact that you're writing again, and more so that you're enjoying it. It excites me to see that your gift has returned and you are so generous as to share this gift with us.

Such an intimate scene. This brings a sense of inner peace to my heart for a few reasons. You can't think of such beauty unless you are feeling it from within. You possess such an inward beauty, such a warm heart. This piece shows how much healing you've done within yourself. You are so blessed, and I feel very blessed to know you.

H

Ian Peaston said...

Simply to agree with Lady's comment -- the flow and you are one, and great. Well done!

Trée said...

LotL, on days that I write, I feel a wholeness and a health that I don't feel on days that I don't write. I have only vague ideas has to why, but the effect is clear. Even on the darkest of days, writing gives me something that virtually nothing else does. One day I'd like to understand it better. Glad you liked this chapter. :-)

Trée said...

Ian, thanks for the kind words. Always appreciated. Now if I could only get my template to look as cool as yours. Your blog is simply gorgeous.

Ian Peaston said...

Thanks T! Sure -- I can order a template like no one else! ;-)

As for the connection of health and writing -- I recognise this all too well, regarding both writing and music, which I've been doing for much longer. STILL after all these years I am surprised at how hard it is for my logical side to grasp this -- I always tell myself that I'll get myself into the mood to write or to play, knowing full well that it's only writing or playing that gets me into that mood! That may well be an over-simplification in your case at the moment, but I certainly find the process of creation itself to be the best medicine/therapy for me.

Trée said...

When I'm in the flow of writing, it is as if in a bubble. Nothing else exists. And in this bubble, this flow, this place where there is just pure thought and emotion, this place of another world, there is an unexplainable magical feeling. The only thing I can think of that is close is a runner's high. Simply the act of writing, not in labor or effort, but that writing that happens as dictation, as I call it, where thought flows effortlessly and a certain lyrical or musical quality is at work--this is the most wonderful non-sexual feeling I've experienced. And in the moments after writing and for some time after, there is an elevated mood and a feeling of health that is not there in the same way when I don't write.

Woman in a Window said...

You are a spill
from a pitcher.
No one cares to clean you up.
Beautiful.
xo
erin

Autumn said...

I am behind the current once more, sigh, and shall therefore be brief first. To read your thoughts about writing is such a thrill, of such joy. 702, as a whole and in particular the part about the feather, enchanted. Loved this.

Angeleah of the Surf and Sand said...

Dadgum, Tree, you're awesome!!! I haven't read anything as good as that since F. Scott Fitzgerald, more, more, more...please

snowelf said...

Want to hear a funny story?
Of course you do. It may be TMI, but I'll try to be discreet. ;)

A few years ago one of my friends invited me to stay with him while he was one a business trip. Being a close friend there was some removal of clothing and the like. Covers disheveled and thrown about the next morning, we didn't bother to make the bed when we left for the day to do some sightseeing and touristy things.

When we arrived back to the room later that evening, our bed was made, and sitting atop the nightstand, neatly folded were his boxers and my panties from the night before. Apparently they had gone missing within the sheets.

quite humorous.

--snow

Leslie Morgan said...

Tree, it is so good, first, to see you writing more. Second to be writing as well as this piece. Yesterday I read something elses and my two brain cells sparked off of each other to point it out to you. But I kept trying to put it into some kind of framework and I kept being pulled up short. I couldn't frame it. Anything I said would color your first impression. So, here's something you may or may not like, uncolored by me: http://blackasacrowswing.blogspot.com/2009/12/taking-off-emily-dickinsons-clothes.html <3

Trée said...

Les, I love Billy Collins, perhaps my favorite contemporary poet, and I love that poem, which I've read before but had forgotten. Few poets are what one would call sui genesis, but BC is that rare occurrence.

Thinking of you at work and wishing you and the home dudes all the best this Holiday season.

Trée said...

Snow, that is funny! I can only imagine the look on your face when you returned to discover the neatly folded garments. :-D

Trée said...

Angie, so nice to see you visiting. Your kind words are taken to heart and deeply appreciated. Wishing you and John and the family the happiest of holidays.

Trée said...

Autumn, you are always with me in spirit. Never doubt that. H

Trée said...

Erin, what can I say. Your ways of expression always bring a smile. Thank you. Happy Holidays too!

Leslie Morgan said...

I'm glad you like it. I'm not surprised you know it!