Thursday, December 03, 2009

Day: 21

good visit with the doctor today--everything discussed openly--we both agreed that progress was occurring and, side-effects notwithstanding, that we would continue on the present course for four more weeks--I will continue to journal the day to day experiences and do my best to explore as openly and honestly as I can

physical sensation on the crown of head remains--as does an exaggerated drowsiness after eating--appetite slightly suppressed as before--slight numbness of nipples and penis continue although libido remains strong, and with the anorgasmic state, is perhaps fueled--sexual fantasy remains on subtle ground and arousal occurs not with the overt, not even as much with the visual as with touch and smell--it is as if what excites me has changed--not completely, not absolutely, but in the shadows, in the subtle ways of scent and memory, of textile and touch--the curve still remains the most beautiful thing I know--and I wonder if there is not some universal truth in the curve that supersedes any and all medical manipulation

sleep is not and has not been affected--levels of energy, outside of the episodes of drowsiness after eating have returned to normal, which is to say have increased from the depressed state--the feeling of detachment remains, however today the feeling was more a sense of calmness--still, my sense of sound is somewhat muted--music in stereo sounds as if in mono, which I can't tell whether this is an auditory issue or an issue where the emotional track is simply missing and therefore the experience is altered--either way, music remains changed for me and it fails to elicit the creative spark as it did before--my mind continues to function on an analytic plane and concerns itself primarily with issues of logic--I procrastinate less and when confronted with a task, and it feels even strange to me as I am in motion, I act immediately

with detachment and lack of emotional reactivity to stimuli, one has the oddest sense of being objective with the subjective self--as if one hears oneself as other when speaking and there appears, in experience, a separation between the thinking self and the acting self--the body becomes mechanical, an instrument, and the mind becomes free, unattached, as something other

on an interesting side note with regard to music, specifically movie scores--in this med induced relationship or lack thereof to the emotional qualities of music, unskillful use by a director is noticed--a feeling of intrusion--of manipulation--not always, but the use of music seems so poorly used so much of the time--like a clodding dance partner--something added that subtracts--the sense of poetry is the same--the mind penetrates, seeks, needs, and tolerates only authenticity--obtuse and abstract thought is eschewed in favor of what is simple and clear--as if everything could be just that--simple and clear--and that what is not simple and clear is somehow, in someway, false or if not false then not wholly true

10 comments:

Lady of the Lakes said...

I am so glad to hear that everything seems to be working out for you.

Thoughts and prayers continue and an endless supply of hugs are here for the taking.

xoxoxo

H

Trée said...

LotL, I wouldn't so much say 'things are working out' as much as moving in a positive direction. The side-effects I've documented remain a major concern and I hope they will continue to lessen over time. If anything, the meds have given me an emotional timeout, so to speak--a chance to think analytically about my life and life situation, a chance to question and reevaluation my thought processes. So, we watch what happens over the next four weeks and determine from that data what the next best step is. I'm hopeful. And thanks for the hugs. :-)

Leslie Morgan said...

Tree, I sense lots of movement ~ changes ~ here. "Some forever, not for better . . " (Beatles) Just different. Not the same. Maybe don't rush to judgement about whether they are "good" or "bad". Just go with it. <3

Trée said...

Limes, I'm committed to four more weeks on my present course. If nothing else I plan to mine the depths of the experience to the best of my ability to comprehend these chemical induced changes. So many areas of cognition and perception I want to examine and observe. In some ways I feel like an explorer who still has the map back to where I started.

Leslie Morgan said...

I've mentioned to you that I'vee ridden in a similar rodeo and have known others who have as well. It is interesting to me that the phrase one always speaks and hears is "get back". Back to comfortable, back to the known. Be an intrepid explorer and then write to tell us your discoveries.

Trée said...

I'm taking notes. :-)

Woman in a Window said...

Your self awareness continue to surprise me. I see how it is that you are progressing but I do wonder how it is that you feel about it all. Perhaps I'm not reading enough posts.

Limes seems to have the best advice. I like that, Be an intrepid explorer and then write to tell us your discoveries.

xo
erin

Trée said...

Erin, cautiously optimistic with a hint of patience and a lot of baby oil. :-D

Ms Storm said...

Poppet, am so glad to hear that you have such positive feelings about your doctors appointment yesterday, that though there are documentations of effects that you are not comfortable with, overall things are going well. It seems like you have a good doctor and that is crucial, not only one that knows their stuff, but one that evokes confidence and openess.
(I was wondering (throughout) about the pressure on the top of your head, since this was if I remember correctly the first thing that you listed as ongoing, from the very beginning in other words, and whether or not it is uncomfortable, whether the pressure varies in strength during the day or has during the last couple of weeks? Or whether the doctor gave any indication about whether this will fade or remain? And if it is to remain, whether it is something, to go back to the above, that bothers you very?)
There was a comment the other day, I believe it was from Gregory, ever eloquent and absolute when he writes, that spoke of your perception and communication. WIth those few words, he honed in on the essence of every thought that I have had not only during these last 21 days but throughout the time that I have been following your blog. I appreciate on so many levels these daily journals, for your sharing which allows us to express our love and wishes for you, for your honesty and openess, and the thoroughness as it pertains to you and your approach to this treatment and life in general, and a dozen other reasons that I either have or probably will list along the way in other comments. And though I may have said it so many times before, it never seems enough to merely speak of the ever-increasing admiration that I have for you. With every post, you show so very special qualities. Love, hugs and best wishes, I hope as the four weeks progress, they will bring with them many more positives.

Trée said...

The doctor was puzzled by the sensation on the top of my head. He said he would look into it, but it is a rather minor point in that it doesn't bother me in the least and if I allow myself, I can think of it as a green light that the meds are working or at least doing something. The sensation is akin to a tingle, it feels like a cooling sensation one would get with a cool breeze and the pressure is as the palm of a hand gently pressing down. Most of the time I don't notice it unless I think about it, but there is no doubt, as at this moment, that the physical sensation is there as it has been from the first day.