Wednesday, January 16, 2008

424. Zoetic



Kyra and Von floated into the inner decompression chamber of the Dyad, only the sound of their respirators flowing within their illuminated ears with the gentle consistency of ocean lapping shore. Data flickered before Kyra’s sapphire iris as the Dyad’s blueprints shuffled room by room, Von in tow.

John and Rog watched the monitors from the bridge of Bravo. Kyra’s heart rate exploded. Rog smashed his comm., “Kyra? Is everything alright?”

John looked at Rog, their chests constricting with the suffocating sound of static.

“Kyra!”

“Hold on Rog,” she replied. Kyra looked at the data again. They were not alone.

John tapped Rog on the shoulder and pointed to the far right of the console. Where only two life forms should have been showing, there were four. “Holy Shiott. How the hellocks did we miss that?”

“It’s your ship,” said John.

“Don’t.”

“I’m just saying.”

“Snazzle, get them out of there right now,” barked Rog.

“I can’t.”

“Don’t give me can’t,” said Rog.

“Rog?”

“What!”

“I think you’ll want to see this,” said Snazzle, pulling up a visual on the main screen.

John’s dry cracked lips hung open. Rog shook his swimming head. “Oh my frailing Janus.”

15 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Four???!!!
Who, what, how, why?!
I hope you're working on the next chapter at this very moment. :-D

I never expected that. Given how long it is since the signal was sent, that there might be life onboard was not anticipated. That is of course if it is Hynerian life, could just as well have been invaded by some other kind of being...but Rog's reactions at the end, would he not have been storming forth at least verbally if there were danger. My oh my, still the king of the cliffhanger!

My mind is swimming too with the possibilities. Have I told you lately how much I LOVE this story.
Easily conjured in the mind's eye through your wonderful writing as always. Excellent chapter, Poppet, on the absolute edge of my seat, with Ceru in mind, whomever it may be. Love it!

Miladysa said...

"“Oh my frailing Janus.”"

Phew!

LOVE this one totally!

Zoetic... nice title

Fractual - stunning! I would be interested in learning how long it takes to create a fractual like this one?

Stargazer said...

You're really good at creating images that compliment the story. My first impression of this image is wow, it looks like a vault door. I then read the first line. Perfect!

Oh, and I agree with Autumn, you ARE the king of the cliffhanger! :O

Trée said...

Miladysa, an image like this one with post-fractal work might take, with render time, a couple hours roughly. Thanks, as always, for the kind words. :-)

Trée said...

Deb, this is one of my favorite images. Just really love the way this one turned out. Very atmospheric. :-D

Miladysa said...

I had no idea so much time went into making them - I will have to learn to be a patient reader in future :)

Hope everything is OK with you.

Trée said...

Miladysa, to read my story takes an immense amount of patience. :-D

Everything is good with me. Work is very hectic and busy, but I've been blessed in life and I try to remind myself of that every day.

I am curious. Was the question random or do you sense something might not be "ok" with me?

Miladysa said...

I sensed something - must have got it wrong ;)

Trée said...

Well, I have my share of troubles and you may be sensing that but my own orientation is toward the glass is half-full so most of the time I don't see the troubles that I do have until someone else points them out to me. :-D

Constance said...

You're scaring me with this. Gorgeous fractal. I'm worried about Kyra.

Trée said...

Annie, Kyra can take care of herself. I'd be worried for whoever or whatever gets in her way. :-D

Tayler Lee said...

I know its random...but please please please give me some pointers. I am a writer...obviously lol...and pretty damn good i guess...but where/how did u develop your writing style?

Trée said...

Tae, thank you for those very kind words. I started writing just a couple years ago. As for pointers, I'd say write from the heart, write what is important to you, write from your soul, and write as you, for you. And most of all, write from love.

Cha Cha said...

ocean lapping shore....

oh. so good.

Trée said...

Show me your shore and we'll let the lapping take care of itself.