Saturday, January 05, 2008

417. Harrowing the Soul



Trev tensed, involuntary as shallow breath. Em combed her fingers through his short hair, her thumb harrowing the shar pei furrow above his brow.

"Talk to me baby." She worked rows as a farmer before the coming rain. (Squishing one flat and two more sprung forth like weeds.)

"Nothing to say."

Em started to speak; silence slow as china falling between hand and floor.

Trev turned his back, throwing his feet to the floor as rocks over a cliff. Em nestled to his warm back, her arms draped like vines over his shoulders, her head heavy as stone beside his. She kissed his ear, suckling his lobe as her fingers intertwined on his chest as if he were in danger of falling.

"Baby, I don't know what you're feeling." Her arms drew tighter. "But I tell you this mister pampus got my tongue. I'm here now and I will hold you till the twelfth of never. You see this?"

Em held her brooch in front of Trev's silent face.

"I was strong then and I am strong now and if I have to carry us both, by Janus, I will."

As if the throb of her heart were a hammer upon his back, tenderizing pain not seen, a tremble rolled from his diaphragm as a wave, spilling forth in tears harbored too long. His body went limp and Em pulled him back into the bed, his head in her chest, her hands on his head.


Camera zooms out. Screen fades to black. Tracy Chapman's All That You Have is Your Soul plays. As the credits roll and the audience walks out, Chapman's Baby Can I Hold You plays.

16 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

We were waiting for this, aware we were waiting to boot, just unsure whether it would come to be. I love this chapter beyond any words that I have to tell you how much. From the title to the image through the words and to the music. It is beauty defined. Love defined. Thank you for the story, Poppet, days like today, though I mean it every day, I wonder at why I don't say it more often. You have a very special gift for touching people through your writing and you give of it so generously and freely. This scene is so very touching, I honestly am at a loss to how to express it. My heart hurts and is gladdened all at the same time. Exquisite.

Trée said...

Sweetest, you are very kind. Thank you.

Miladysa said...

Special.

I love the title - very evocative, makes me want to write.

I have to go and check out the songs now, I only know the later.

I'm hooked - more, please :)

Stargazer said...

I too, like the title. unconditional

Constance said...

Oh God that was beautiful. You write such love, Tree...

Trée said...

Thank you Annie. I would like to say there was an Em in my life when I was at the stage Trev is now. There wasn't. So I wrote what I would have wanted when I needed.

Trée said...

Miladysa and Deb, thank you both for taking the time to visit and read. I think this is the first time I've used the word "harrow" in the story. Does kinda fit well with soul. :-D

Miladysa said...

You have won a 'You Make My Day' Award

Magdalene-Sophie said...

hi tree, here's me wishing you a very blessed new year and many lovely days ahead~ :)

do take care, and me is coming to the states in a week ;) will be there for about 2 years :)

Magdalene-Sophie said...

in reply to what you wrote to loving annie, ahh yes writers write things they wish for quite often :) lol, random comment

Trée said...

Meg, Happy New Year to you too. Wishing you a wonderful stay in our country. Travel safe and keep warm. :-)

Trée said...

Miladysa, you brought a smile to my face early this morning--just me, my coffee and the smile you gave me. :-)

Agnes said...

Happy 2008 sweet man. I just wanted to pop by and hug your neck. I hope that all is well and joyful in your world. You cross my mind often and linger long when you do. It is always a quiet, peaceful lingering. :)
Much love to you.
Aggie

Trée said...

Aggie, what a wonderful and pleasant surprise to see you stopping by. I think of you too often, although I have to say, my thoughts are a little more rambunctious than yours. ;-)

I'm leaving in a couple hours for our week long National Meeting. Ask me one week from today and I'll tell you how my year is going. :-D

Hugs and kisses and much love to you my dear friend. Wishing you all the happiness in the world. :-)

Cha Cha said...

As if the throb of her heart were a hammer upon his back, tenderizing pain not seen

This analogy, Mr. Tree...THIS ANALOGY is so fucking powerful.

It makes me feel it way down deep inside.

Seriously amazing, you are.

Trée said...

Strumpet, your comments are fucking amazing too. Thank you for those very fookin kind words. :-)

Speaking of throbbing . . . well, oh, never mind. :-D