Monday, January 14, 2008

422. As You Command



“You wanted to see me?” asked Von, his flowing white cloak matching his closely cropped white beard and looking more the desert mystic than the peaceful Tao.

“Grab a seat,” said Kyra. Von sat, back straight, left hand rooted to his thigh, right hand unconsciously scratching his head. Kyra noticed the tic but left it unremarked. “We’ve always been direct and honest with each other. I’ve appreciated the lack of agenda in our relationship more than you know. Thank you for that.” Kyra paused, slightly unnerved with Von’s limpid unblinking eyes.

Von rose, his large frame filling the billowing white cloak like a hot air balloon. “I know that Ceru is on that vessel.” Kyra tilted her head. “And I know you want me to stay here, to be patient as you board the vessel, do your initial investigation.”

“How? How do you know that?”

Von smiled. “If the situation were reversed, I would do the same. I understand.” Von bowed his head as if to touch the divine.

“I mean, how do you know that Ceru is onboard that vessel?”

Von held his head as an eagle might on top of a mountain. “I don’t mean to sound patronizing and please forgive me if I do, but there is a bond between a father and a son that the plane of this existence cannot explain, a language not of words, a love beyond time and place.”

As if his words were the cool wind dissipating the mist, the two starred at each other in the silence of planet spying moon and as surely as moonrise reflects the light of a greater source, Von’s smile washed over Kyra as morning light to a dew laden meadow. Arms opened and the two embraced not as temporal beings separated by leather and skin but as rain to ocean.

“Von,” Kyra whispered, her arms held tightly around this back. “I want you to come with me.”

“As you command my captain.” Before Kyra could respond Von was gone, a milky way of love sparkling in his wake. Reaching out, she touched the starlight before her. A wave of warmth flooded her soul.

19 comments:

Miladysa said...

"A wave of warmth flooded her soul"

Ditto.

Soothing :)

Trée said...

Thank you Miladysa. :-)

SaffronSaris said...

I was watching an old re-run of AVP over the weekend, and was wondering, are there any aliens/beings out there?

Autumn Storm said...

Sometimes, make that often times, the sheer loveliness of the words and how you arranged them, like flowers in a vase, to show them off at their best, to complement and enhance one another is so arresting, I just want to sit in silent awe. as rain to ocean is indicative of the whole chapter, the events within and of thoughts that turn to Von and his son. 'Son', though it does in thought, in life, has seldom filled so much written. Your descriptive powers, the way you are able to mould language, you create a direct passage from Von's heart, Kyra's also, to the reader's, to mine anyway. I'm full, bursting, just watching from the sidelines. You reach as few others.

Trée said...

Oh my, now you have me blushing with a comment like that. I wish I could see the writing with your eyes and your heart. Maybe in a couple years when I've long since forgotten this was written. :-)

Well, you know, father and son or grandparent to grandchild are relationships near to my heart. :-)

Trée said...

Sweetest, your comments make me want to write. I can't think of a higher compliment than that. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Amazing image!
Guess this line---Arms opened and the two embraced not as temporal beings separated by leather and skin but as rain to ocean----will remain etched in my mind for sometime.
Thanks ,
(*_*)

Uma

Hope this finds you in good cheer:)

Trée said...

Uma, thanks for the very kind words. Always deeply appreciated. Thank you. And yes, I am in good cheer. Hope the same for you my friend. :-)

Constance said...

"a milky way of love sparkling in his wake"

The images your writing conjurs are always beautiful, Tree.

Trée said...

Thanks Annie. :-)

Stargazer said...

Von’s smile washed over Kyra as morning light to a dew laden meadow


Beautiful words, as are all of them.

Trée said...

Thank you Deb. :-)

Cha Cha said...

A milky way of love...

I am incorporating that into my vocabulary.

It's only too awesome.

Trée said...

Strump, should I drop my pants now or later? :-D

Cha Cha said...

How does the saying go?

Now AND later.

Just like candy.

molly said...

"He will turn the heart of the fathers to their children and the heart of the children to their fathers." Malachi 4:6

I don't know what to say. But I want you to know I was here, I read this and I am in awe. I love the father/son theme.

Trée said...

Thanks Mckenzi. If you click on the link for Cerulean, you will find several chapters that detail the very special relationship between Von (the father) and Ceru (his son). This Story also features some very strong relationships between grandfather and granddaughter as well as father to daughter. Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you again. :-)

Зуеид Јупитер said...

I like your blog. Cool pics

Trée said...

Thanks Зуеид Јупитер :-)