Friday, January 18, 2008

428. Georgic



This chapter takes place in the days before Bravo rendezvoused with Dyad.


Yul laid on her side, her arm roped over Rog's chest and her nose snuggled against his masculine neck. Her left knee anchored his torso to the bed. The clean sheets were half draped over trunk and limb with the loyalty of dog to master, quiet and warm as the backside of pelts before the fire; lazy as wine laden bellies.

Twirling the hair around his nipple with her nail, Yul whispered, "Baby, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"I know this is gonna sound funny, so promise you won't laugh."

"Ok."

"I'm serious."

"Got it. What's on your mind?"

"And don't be gettin' the big head either."

Rog rolled his head over, his eyes too close to hers to focus.

"Cause you know I can make your big head small again."

"Baby, ask your question and I'll answer as best I know how. Now what's bugging you?"

"How the hellocks can you be so unagendaed all the time?"

"Unagendaed? Is that a word?"

"You know what I mean."

"No, don't think I do."

"Ok. Let me put it this way. You have something I don't."

"Yeah."

"Shut the frail up."

Rog grinned.

"I'm trying to be serious."

"Sorry pearl, go on."

"You always say exactly what you mean."

"And?"

"Not everyone does. I don't."

Rog sat up.

"I want that. I want to be that way."

"So what's stopping you?"

"I don't know how. I want you to teach me."

"Teach you what?"

"Damn, sometimes I wonder if that head of yours is as thick as--never mind. Can you teach me how to . . ."

"How to what?"

"Just be myself." (Yul starts crying)

"Baby, what's wrong?"

"You're so damn comfortable in your own skin. Don't you see it? You're like an old pair of jeans and everyone, well almost everyone, loves you because of it. You make people feel at home, at ease, they gravitate toward you."

"I' don't know what to tell you. I'm just me."

"Shiott! That's what I'm saying. How do you do it. How are you so damn genuine all the time?"

"It's all I know, all I've ever known."

"How? How do you know this?"

Rog thought for a second. "You know, it's awful early for this kind of talk."

"I'm not letting you go. How?"

Rog rubbed his eyes to buy some time. His brain was still foggy from whatever was in that bowl. "Well, I suppose two things." Then he paused, not because he wanted to tease, but because he didn't quite know what those two things were."

"Start talking or I'm gonna to rip your nipples off."

"Alright, I'd say the first thing was my dad. He was as honest as the day is long, and on the southern reaches, during summer, believe me, the days are long. You know, I don't think I ever told you this, but there were two things that only happened once in my life. I lied; and my father whipped the living shiott out of me. I always wanted to be like my father, always wanted to have his groundedness, his broader perspective."

"Was there a connection?"

"What?"

"Between the lying and the whipping?"

"Oh, yeah. I lied to my father." Rog grinned as if lost in a memory that was funny now but not then. "Needless to say, well . . . "

"What was the second thing?"

"The animals."

"What animals?"

"The one's on our ranch. What animals were you thinking?"

"Never mind. What about the animals?"

"Well, with a Kawai, what you see is what you get. So, I suppose, growing up with Kawais, you just learn to be as you are. Never really occurred to me to be any different."

"So you're genuine because of a Kawai?"

Rog laughed. Bend over, I'll show you."

"Serious. I'm not following."

"Let me say it this way. A kawai, or any other animal for that matter, has one mode--completely honest. Its just the way they are. They love unconditionally, they trust absolutely and, like my father, they know no other way than to be who they are--to be honest. I suppose when you grow up around animals and you have a father like mine, you don't really know any other way."

Yul sat silently for a long time. "Rog?"

"What baby?"

"I want a ranch. I want animals, Kawais, lots of them."

Rog opened his arms and pulled her into him as if pulling a child from the ocean. "Me too." After a slight pause he added, "By the way, what did I snuffle?"

"Don't ask."

Before he could protest, her lips were on his and thoughts of questions were as distant as the possibility of that ranch.

40 comments:

Trée said...

Inspiration for this chapter, at least the "teachings of the Kawai" comes from Victoria Cummings wonderful blog Teachings of the Horse

If you love animals, please give her a visit.

OhPunk! said...

Great dialogue...

** Shaun **
My awesome blog: ohpunk.blogspot.com


-

Trée said...

Thanks Shaun. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving interesting post that made me think about a lot of things.

Trée said...

Derric, you are more than welcome. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

darkman said...

Mad shit!

Smitten said...

Hey this is pretty cool.

Trée said...

Darkman, I'll take that as a compliment. :-D

Thank you Smitten. Much appreciated. :-)

Oberon said...

......i see you've been to the mandelbrot set.....i'm glad you made it back.....i was lost for the longest time.

Trée said...

Oberon, Mandelbrot is one bad dude. You are lucky to have escaped. :-D

Holy Cuteness said...

You have some great images here...

Trée said...

Thanks Cuteness. The entire saga started with a single image that inspired a bit of prose. Everything you see here flows from the creative kick-start of the images. Your kind words are much appreciated. :-)

Victoria Cummings said...

Thanks for visiting me -and wow, I'm flattered that what I was saying had such a strong reaction - good stuff! Keep writing - and congratulations on being a Blog of Note - it's a crazy ride.

Trée said...

Thank Victoria. I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon your blog. :-)

Groover said...

I have been pondering about how to create suspense and develope characters. This just showed me. Thanks a lot. Glad I found this on Blogs of Note. I will be back.

Anonymous said...

you guys rock!
bye for today
joe sorry

Trée said...

Thanks Groover. I saw your blog and felt the undeniable urge to get on my bike and ride. Just wish it was a little warmer. :-D

Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you around again. :-)

Trée said...

Thanks Joe. Much appreciated. :-)

Miladysa said...

Wonderful post!

Loved the dialogue
Felt I was there
Empathised with what was being said

A favourite :)

Trée said...

Miladysa, now you have me blushing. Such kinds words. I'm taking note, just so you know. :-)

Miladysa said...

lol - You can quote me :)

Real Live Lesbian said...

Wonderful story...I can't wait to read more!

Trée said...

Thanks for the kind words Real. Would love to have you visit again. :-)

Everymatter said...

good writeup

Cha Cha said...

I love Yul.

I love this chapter.

This is so great.

I'm smiling huge.

It's awesome

You're awesome.

xo, Mr. Tree.

Glad I came and caught the frail up.

And, dude! Congrats on being a Blog of Note.

You so rock, Mr. Tree.

And....

:-D

Trée said...

Strump, strap on that toy and I say let's rock each other. ;-)

Inside our hands, outside our hearts said...

Hello you,

This was quite lovely. I was drawn in and I loved the conversation and the playfulness between them. Wonderful job, but you knew that..smiles.

T

Anonymous said...

um!?


thanks for an interesting look at your way cool fractals and thoughtful prose.

from: gothicbeach.blogspot.com

Autumn Storm said...

Woohoo, about time you became a Blog of Note. :-) Congratulations Poppet!

She's right of course about Rog, his genuine and unapologetic nature is what made him lovable, well that and his quaidesque aka rogesque smile, from the time that he first appeared as a character. I like that she acknowledges here that it is being oneself that evokes those feelings in others, his being comfortable with himself making others feel the same way about him, knowing where they have him, no surprises of an unpleasant nature. Such a natural flow to the dialogue, lazy and at the same time important, fun and serious, thankfulness for each other and what they have together and at the same time both admit to dreaming of being back home, where life could be that simple, where she could see him in his element and have the same experiences, learn from the Kawai too. (Will definitely have a look at Victoria's blog at the earliest opportunity). As Miladysa said in other words, they were so close, one could have been under the duvet with them. Beautiful chapter, visually through the amazing image and the descriptions (Twirling the hair around his nipple with her nail, Yul whispered, "Baby, can I ask you a question?", in meaning, in total. As always.

Missing you to the moon and back and then some. Have a wonderful Saturday, x

Trée said...

T,

Always a pleasure to have you stopping by. Your kind words are taken to heart. Thank you. :-)

Trée said...

Anon, I visited your site but everything was blurry. Not sure if blogger is acting up but will try again. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

Trée said...

Sweetest, good to know you have arrived safely. I wrote this chapter between my first and second cups of coffee, my mind not completely awake, which always scares me in the sense of the writing being as incoherent as my conscious mind was in that state.

I've had the idea for expanding our understanding of Rog by revisiting his youth on the ranch and how those values shaped who he is. When I saw Victoria's blog and her post about the wisdom of horses, I knew exactly what I wanted to write, as a start in filling in some of Rog's background.

Comfortable as an old pair of jeans. Good to know Hynerians wear jeans too. :-D

Anonymous said...

This dialogue is very good, your site is very good!
I'm sorry but i don't speak english very well because i'm italian.
bye bye
kiss

Trée said...

Flavia, thanks for the kind words. :-)

Constance said...

Wow, Tree, I saw you got linked by Bloggers' Blogs of Note' - CONGRATULATIONS !

Hope you have a good weekend.

Trée said...

Thanks Annie. You too. :-)

Stargazer said...

The dialogue flows with such ease :-)

Blog of Note, well deserved !!

Trée said...

Thanks Deb. I think I write best before my conscious mind kicks in. :-)

snowelf said...

Tree, everything you write just has a certain gracefulness about it. So very cool. I was cracking up at this conversation--so cute.

Have a great weekend!!

--snow

Trée said...

Snow, those are very kinds words that warm my heart on an early Sunday morning. Keep warm my ninja elfish friend, master of the 55 and overall light unto the darkness of IT departments everywhere. :-D