Wednesday, January 31, 2007

233. Supernatural Delight


“You didn’t think we would have a Bravo party without Kieran did you?” Kyra smiled. “Von fill’em up again. Rog, wanna tell us what the surprise is?”

Rog downed his second shot and looked around Kyra to the eighth glass. Empty again. “Hope your boy can dance?” Rog grinned, still a bit unsure what just happened but too excited to let a question or two get in the way. “Now, nobody move.” Rog took off and slipped behind a side door to the right of the bar. Before anyone could ask, Rog’s voice came over the sound system. “Von, lights.”

Three spotlights flooded center stage as Rog jumped from behind the curtains, a mike in his hand, and to everyone’s amazement, a curly wig on his head. “Welcome to showtime. Von, play it brother. Off those stools,” shouted Rog as the first notes of music began to play. “Get your minds right and your joints loose. Rog is in the house.”

Rog came alive. His eyes shinned with energy and love and his head started to bob. Yul was smiling from ear to ear and Rog locked eyes.

We get it “on” most every night
When that moon is big and bright
It’s a supernatural delight
Everybody’s dancing in the moonlight

Rog’s voice flowed forth with a natural roughness, genuine in delivery and just good enough to make everyone forget the performance and slip into the moment as it was meant to be. With the first line, or the fourth word as the case may be, Yul felt her heart pound in her chest as a warm feeling flooded her whole body when Rog turned “on” into a soulful multi-syllable serenade with such powerful sincerity that even Von stopped what he was doing and realized a moment of captured truth as only love and song can reveal.

In the slight pause between the first and second stanzas, Rog slipped into what only seemed later like a trance as his eyes closed and the music rocked his hips, arms moved in sync and his head moved left and right. Watching him dance charged the atmosphere and then, as if he had practiced his moves a thousand times, his bright child-like eyes opened on cue and song rolled over his smiling white teeth like a fresh water stream gushing down the mountain.

Everybody here is out of sight
They don’t bark and they don’t bite
They keep things loose they keep things tight
Everybody’s dancing in the moonlight

Rog rocked, the curls of his wig bouncing and his eyes flashing grins at the semi-circle of mates before him. Hands clapped and hips swayed as for a moment only this performance, this song, this flow of energy existed and so Rog rode the wave moving up and down the stage winking and dancing with moves of hip and shoulder no one imagined him capable.

Dancing in the moonlight
Everybody’s feeling warm and bright
It’s such a fine and natural sight
Everybody’s dancing in the moonlight

Yul jumped up on stage and in the short interlude between the third and forth stanza joined Rog in dance, and to all who observed, they moved as if no one else was there and thoughts of time past and time future remained at bay. Putting his arm around her waist, he pulled her tight as the lyrics fit the embrace and everyone laughed.

We like our fun and we never fight
You can’t dance and stay uptight
It’s a supernatural delight
Everybody was dancing in the moonlight

As the music wound down Rog, sweaty brow and curly wig, pulled Yul tight, kissed her and looked out into the audience with mike extended. “Alright. Who’s next?”



Categories: Story, Rog, Kyra, Yul, Von, Karaoke

36 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

:-D
Biggest grin on my face after reading that - absolutely spot on. Loved it!
(off to watch the video)
Fan-*-tastic!

Autumn Storm said...

And you used the Saturday Night Fever fractal, yey! :-D

sgdish said...

How much fun! Yes, I'm wondering who's next....I have my guess!

Autumn Storm said...

Body popping and singing at the top of my lungs - feeling like I'm at the party and just smiling at Rog and Yul. :-)

Rog is in the house. One just knows he had the biggest, baddest quaidesque grin on his face as he said that. :-D

Oh gosh, but you set the scene so thoroughly. So full of lightheartedness and fun and love and friendship - beautiful in the best way.

As for that 8th glass - who, what and where have been answered (more or less:), now I am just left with how. But it doesn't really matter how - what matters is there were 8. :-)

SaffronSaris said...

I really have to ask you how you did that fractal. Amazing.
BTW, what's Saturday Night Fever??

Autumn Storm said...

Disco, Saff, pure disco. :-)

Saturday Night Fever was a film starring John Travolta that was made in the latter part of the seventies (77, I think) and was all about the disco scene in Brooklyn. This fractal reminds me of the dancefloor from this film. :-)

Trée said...

Sweetest, thanks so much for introducing me to this version of Dancing in the Moonlight. I thought it was the perfect opening for Rog to transition from the "supernatural delight" of Kieran to getting the ball rolling for Karaoke night on Bravo.

The spirit of the video, the smiling faces and happy people fit so well with the mood I wanted for this chapter. Just good times. :-)

Now, who's up next and what will they sing? I'm open for suggestions. :-D

Trée said...

Ms Mario, oh where has your avatar gone? :-D

How much fun are guesses if you don't share them. ;-)

Trée said...

Saffy, in fractal creation, sometimes you just get lucky and that is what happened here. As soon as I saw this one several weeks ago, I knew there would be singing and dancing on Bravo! :-D

Thanks for your kind words. :-)

Karen said...

Daaaamn... I could imagine feeling Rog's hips swaying against me. Whew... it's hot in here....

EXCELLENT chapter; it makes me smile and I love the video.

*HUUGS and KISSES* to you and Jack!

Trée said...

Karen, I had a feeling you'd like this one. Jack wants to wish you a Happy Birthday. He says meet him under the waterfall. :-D

sgdish said...

I don't know where my avatar has gone...it just disappeared!

You've left Rog holding the mike for way toooo long and left your fans holding way too long as well.

Trée said...

I know, I know. So many options of where I can go next and overloaded with possibilities. That, and work is pulling all "the words" out of me and I have none left at the end of the day. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ha ha - oh, I get it :)

love the fact that someone out there doesn't know about Sat. Night Fever, too cute.

Really, really great stuff here Tree. I've never wanted to be a barfly so bad in my life!

great video and thanks for sharing sweetie..your extra touches don't go unappreciated!!

and thanks for the advise on my sight about the spinning classes...it was just a trial thing with me but I can tell you that it was certainly exhilerating :)

happy weekend boy,
hugs,
Meg

Trée said...

Thanks Meg. So glad you enjoyed the video. Your kind words are most appreciated. :-)

ChickyBabe said...

I'm giggling... can't help it Tree, just giggling at the karaoke!

Trée said...

Chicky, if I made you giggle, then you made my day. :-)

In fact, I'm feeling quite tight and taut. :-D

Flights Of The Mind said...

Thanks ...
am back!!
missed out on many posts here though
cheers

(*_*)

Uma

Leigh said...

LOL!

And I love the frac ;-)

I've had trouble logging into my blogger account, had it for years and never use the thing. Sorry I haven't stopped by lately honey, had a family member pass away and then went to Spain.

Trée said...

Leigh, I understand. I lost my uncle on Sunday night, completely unexpected. He was, on a side note, the person that I have modeled Rog after.

As always, thanks for the kind words and welcome home. Nothing quite like sleeping in your own bed again. :-)

Trée said...

Uma, so good to have you back at DT. I'll slow down to give you a chance to catch up. :-)

Magdalene-Sophie said...

Mmmmmmm~

Nice chapter indeed..*wink*~

heartwarming..
put a smile on my face :)

*...Meg's off to dance in the moonlight...*

Trée said...

Meg, hang on, I'll join you, in that moonlight. :-)

Thanks for the sweet words. Always appreciated. :-)

Stargazer said...

Very cool ;)

Trée said...

Thanks Deb. :-)

Agnes said...

LMAO! Now that was just fun! AND a flashback to boot. Weeeeee.
LOVE the fractal. Look - it's John Travolta. Right there on the dancefloor.
What a fantastic stress reliever. YAY!
Dance me away! Hang on...ok...now dip me. :D

Have a wonderful Monday night and Tuesday. It's a bright, clear sky here tonight and you know I'm looking up.

Agnes said...

PS new blogger doesn't know I'm agnesotn. It wants me to be all googled. That's just wrong. Pthththth. ;)

Trée said...

Aggie, so good to see you after your first day on the new job. Hope everything went very well and just for good measure, I'll be stepping outside around 10pm tonight. If it's not too cold, flash me. :-D

As always, thanks for the very kind words. I'm on the dance floor. Come join me. :-)

Anonymous said...

Tree - so sorry to hear about your uncle. He must have been a mountain of a man if he was anything like how you portray Rog.

Thinking of you and missing catching up.

Hugs,
Meg

Trée said...

Thank you Meg. Last week was a tough week. Calvin still had many years left in him. He was only two days past 60. Very tragic.

I appreciate your thoughts. He was a special man. About 75% of Rog is Calvin and in Rog he will live on. :-)

Trée said...

Thank you Y. Do you dance? I know you got moves, but do you dance? :-D

~d said...

and to all who observed, they moved as if no one else was there and thoughts of time past and time future remained at bay.

(smile)

Trée said...

Because of the video, this post will always be one of my favorites in the entire story.

Autumn Storm said...

The video and the Saturday Night Fever fractal, :-), a favourite of mine too therefore.

Miladysa said...

Love that song!

Party post :)

Trée said...

Miladysa, me too. And this version, this cover, is better than the original, imho. :-D