Sunday, January 14, 2007

225. It's Hynerian


Kyra returned to her quarters not sure if she was more exhausted or more excited. She had practiced a “mindbat” many, many times, but this was her first time under live fire. She felt exhilaration mixed with utter fear mixed with raw animal lust. Calfuray had her in every sense of the phrase with a skill beyond her imagination and expectation. Her tactics, let us say, were not anticipated.

Like dying in the cold, Calfuray’s manipulations of her pleasure centers were harder to resist than anything Papa had ever put her through. The temptation to let go, to have another take you over the edge while they were stroking your mind and taking you places you’ve never been—that was terrifying. Still, her body tingled in ways not completely understood. We love our enemies and share a bond with them that only warriors share Papa would say and she wondered how Calfuray was doing.

“Goldie, can you help me with this?”

“Yes Ms Kyra.” Goldie released a small clasp and tugged on the left sleeve. One didn’t so much as take off a glove as much as peel it away and the sensation of separation was both odd and sexual at the same time. The glove literally bonded to the skin, molded to every curve and anyone who has ever worn one will tell you the sensation had to be experienced to be appreciated.

As tired as she was, she had unfinished business. “Goldie, thanks for the help. Could you activate the waterfall acoustics on your way out?”

“Yes Ms Kyra. Will there be anything else this evening?”

“That’s all Goldie. Thank you.”

As Goldie retreated, Kyra moved to her bed and the light and sound show came to life. Beautiful greens and blues danced in patterns light and airy from the walls to the ceiling and the sound of lush spring water trickling and cascading down the mountain side filled the air. Kyra closed her eyes and allowed her mind to slip back to the edge as a slight blue glow arose naturally. Taking a deep breath, she spread her legs--.

“Ms Kyra,” interrupted Goldie.

“What is it Goldie,” responded Kyra, unable to withhold the irritation in her voice.

“Trev says he needs to speak with you right away. Something to do with the transmission. Says it’s urgent.”

“Tell Trev I’ll be there in a few minutes.”


“Trev, before you start, what’s the update on Mairi?”

“She’s in the med wing undergoing testing. Seems she is going to be just fine.”

“Good. Okay Trev, what have you got on the transmission?” asked Kyra.

“Well, credit goes to Em really. I was working on the transmission when she walked in. Took her two minutes. It’s a distress signal. Hynerian.”

“Hynerian. Are you sure?”

“No doubt.”

What does it say?” asked Von.

“Because of the jamming much of the signal is unintelligible but we do know three things. The signal is Hynerian. It is a SOS call. And we can pinpoint the location.” Trev paused and looked around the room like he was expecting an award.

Kyra was the first to speak. “How old is this signal, is it still being broadcast and how far are we from it?”

“The signal itself is not old. By my calculation we are perhaps a week away.”

“And is the signal still being broadcast?”

Trev rubbed his nose and squinted his eyes. “Nope. It stopped about the time Calfuray appeared.”

“I see,” said Kyra.

“One other thing,” Trev added. “The signal is in the opposition direction from where John will be heading.”

Kyra looked at Yul. “Okay, give me an hour, then we meet in the conference room.”

Categories: Story, Kyra, Goldie, Trev

7 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Oh my, this is sooooo much better than Dallas ever was! :-D

A hynerian distress signal - the mind boggles with possibilities, and that's just on the off chance that someone we have heard of is not only alive but within distance. I'm just going to have to leave that question there and not explore the possibilities at all until you update, since I would not be able to concentrate on any thing else, and my life does require me to be at least partly present. :-)

To the one side is John and treatment for Yul, to the other, something Hynerian, something, someone from home, a possibility they never dared hope for. Waiting for the conference room chapter shall require all my patience! Which way do they go.

Big sigh of relief that Mairi is doing okay too! Been waiting a long time for news on her, and had to rely on the whole 'no news is good news' formula to get me through that one.

Perhaps the single most interesting sentence in this chapter is the one about loving our enermies. I understand the bond, and I understand that emotions are closely related, especially passionate (in the sense of large) ones, am going to take the 'love' with me today and think about that statement - as I too often say these days, I may be back later with more on that.

Excellent work, once again, a real thrill to have chapters on the page, when none were expected knowing how especially busy you are at the moment. A wonderful surprise is what that was.

I've wanted to try snoot and snazzle, I've wondered about the tool and the vial and now I wish I had a glove. :-D Imagination - you have it in buckets, and it is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

Karen said...

Hmmm... it never really is over, is it?

Trée said...

Karen, you're right. It's never going to be over. Did you buy the lifetime ticket? :-D

Trée said...

Sunshine, the distress signal is very interesting to me for a couple reasons. First and foremost, I feel what Kyra is feeling in that now that the distress signal is out there and like Kyra, I don't know what it is or what it means, I sit in front of my computer and know I must pursue it, I know my decision could split the crew and I wonder like hell what it could be.

The "love our enemies" is an interesting phrase and to be blunt, I would like to hear Papa say exactly what he meant. I understand the bond between warriors or between anyone with the same mission and same trials and tribulations and I think I know what Papa means in the context of Tao teachings, but some of the finer points I would like a little more teaching. Perhaps somewhere down the road that chapter is waiting for us. :-)

What I find interesting in this chapter is that although Calfuray came within an eyelash of killing Kyra, she obviously feels something for her. What she feels, I'm not sure, but I'm fascinated that she is thinking of her and her thoughts are not "bad" thoughts but almost a sense of concern, a desire to know this "mindbatant" more. I suppose there is always something special to one's "first time." :-D

As for that glove, I'll keep my eye out for one. I do have to tell you, you're already there in my mind's eye. :-D

Karen said...

I probably should ;-)

Anonymous said...

dang...why did she have to get interrupted ???

You write amazing on the road...
WOW!

T/C

Trée said...

Meg, that is very sweet of you to say. I find it odd to write on my laptop rather than my normal setup at home. Take care and hugs from California. :-)