Sunday, January 28, 2007

232. The Eighth Glass


Von stood behind the bar as if he had been there for years listening to patrons and dispensing wisdom with an avuncular smile. Rog had his ear and Yul, her arm around his waist, had Rog’s. Just a couple feet away Mairi was telling stories of Dr X and Emy and Trev looked like children at story time, eyes wide, drinks holding steady in tight hands with elbows tucked and still. Kyra stood at the doorway, observing the crew and smiled. Something special was in the air, she could feel it, a presence just out of reach, but the feeling was there.

As she stepped into the room, Von’s eyes caught her first, and like falling dominos, everyone stopped mid-conversation and looked in her direction. Kyra’s entire wardrobe seemed to consist of black venusian leather, but in the year they had been together, no one had seen this outfit. Her shinning sable mane flowed from head to shoulder like an Egyptian queen, a slight bounce with each stride, which in and of itself was in marked contrast to her normal ponytail. (Yul squeezed Rog just a little tighter).

Kyra wore long melanic gloves and polished fuligin boots but, well, neither caught the crew’s attention as much as what was not covered in black. Her formfitting outfit curved seamlessly from shoulder to breast, cupping each perfectly firm globe like a second skin, but unlike her bodyglove, from neck to glittering bellybutton was skin porcelain white, taut and tight, exposed like a sensual river reflecting the evening’s glow in the shadow of mountains atrous in dusk. Nestled low, in the seat of birth remembered, sat one brilliant sapphire, matching the twin windows of eyes deep as cisterns blue on a clear day. The natural flow of the design took eye from high to low and minds from welcome to hello.

“Never seen a girl before?” Kyra laughed, knowing full well they had never seen her dress like this. “Von, line them up. Only your best snoot, drinks on me tonight.”

Yul grabbed Rog’s arse and whispered in his ear, “Would you like me to pick them up?”

“What’d you say hon,” said Rog dully.

“Your eyes. Do you want me to pick them off the floor?”

Von reached under the bar and pulled out seven shot glasses, placing them down with that familiar knock of heavy glass on hard wood, as pleasing to the ear as eye. Moving from one to the other he filled each to the brim with golden nectar. Filling the last glass he placed the bottle down on the counter and looked at Kyra.

“One more.” All eyes moved to Kyra and Von looked at her with a blank look. “One more glass.” When he hesitated she added, “eight glasses. We leave no one behind. Now get that eighth glass before I have to mindbat you.”

Von reached under the bar and placed an eighth on the counter.

“Fill it up.”

He did.

“A toast,” said Kyra and she lifted her glass as the others followed suit. “To love, to life, to all we hold dear. A toast to you my friends and a toast to our future. We may part in the morn, but the ties that bind our hearts know neither time nor space.” And with that Kyra drained her glass in one motion and slammed the glass down on the bar as the rest, like a wave, joined and in that motion it seemed a light flashed quick as lightning. “Von, another round.”

Bottle in hand, Von just stood in place, his eyes locked on the end of the bar. The eighth glass was empty.

To be continued . . .

Categories: Story, Kyra, Von, Rog, Yul, Emy, Trev, Mairi, Kieran

17 comments:

Trée said...

Perhaps overwritten, but what the hell, sometimes I like to get lost in my own run-on sentences. :-D

Trée said...

Sometimes I surprise myself. I'll write the next chapter as soon as I catch my breath but can someone tell me where that sapphire in her bellybutton came from? I have to tell you, just the thought of my hands on those, how was it said, atrous mountains, while my tongue waylaid it's way round that gem and I felt the movement of desire rock gently to and fro under my chest, well, I'd like to tell you guys I'd see you again, but if not, I think you'd know where to find me. Just don't come knocking before noon. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

I remember a chapter recently where I wrote that I was reading as fast as possible to get to the end to find out what was going to happen. This chapter had the opposite effect, smoothe and warm, each sentence (much like the chapters inspired by Wolfe) demanded to be savoured, slow and steady.

The opening set the scene so wonderfully, it felt like I was there, feeling the atmoshere, but that my eyes were closed and you were describing what everyone was doing. The part about Kyra was as enthralling as the dress obviously was to anyone who saw her. :-) I had to smile when you wrote tight and taut, like q and u, the second always follows the first.

That fractal is absolutely amazing! Seriously amazing. More on that at some other time. :-)

With the scene set, the crew moving towards the bar from the positions they had occupied earlier, everything like a lullaby, melodic and gentle (I know what I mean), blissful, that final scence, the 8th glass being emptied was like a huge crash of the symbols. I'm left with who, what, why and how - thank goodness for that tbc at the end there otherwise I'd have been wailing in protest. Simply cannot curb the eagerness to see the next chapter - please hurry. :-)

Wonderful, wonderful chapter!

Trée said...

Sweetest, your words never cease to elevate my mood and motivate me to continue. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would write every word of this story, with every ounce of passion I have even if you were the only one reading. That is how much your comments have meant and mean to me.

The scene in the bar is going to take several chapters to complete and we may be here for awhile. I want to do so much here, I want to paint the picture of a crew coming together in the midst of breaking apart (even if only for a short time, or so we believe for once Bravo enters harms way and Yul enters treatment, all bets are off on a full and complete reunion). So that is the context, together tonight, hopeful to be together again, but in the back of everyone's mind is the question: "Is this it? Is this the last time we will be together as one?

And, like us, nobody knows. What I love about this crew, however, is that question, at least for a few hours, has been set aside, and they are about to have a "dancing in the moonlight" time of the evening, with smiles and hugs sincere and heartfelt.

The hardest part of any chapter is the start, how to open. The first two attempts were abandoned--just didn't work. You saw the first. The second had Kyra in her closet trying to decide what to wear when she had a blinding flash that brought her to her knees, a "flash-forward" if you will, but I decided that was just not the tone I wanted to have for this chapter and the flash-forwards could wait to a more appropriate time and place.

Instead, I decided, like a fly on the wall, I wanted to see the bar when Kyra arrived and, like the rest of the crew, I wanted to have that "oh my" feeling when I first saw her. And I have to tell you, I did. Until I wrote it, I had no idea exactly how she was going to look and the sapphire in the bellybutton, well, I was as surprised to see that as anyone.

Enjoy your show and I'll see you in a bit. As always my dear Sweetest, your comments and kind words are deeply appreciated. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

This night over several chapters is as it should be. Already it has the makings of one of those evenings that nobody wants to end, and as such everyone is aware of every moment and are intent of savouring it. I feel the love in the room :-), before you spoke of it so eloquently. To think of how all they have had was each other for the past year, to think of all they have been through and now to have an imminent parting ahead and no way of knowing that they will see each other again (for some), I imagine them being so very aware that memories are being made and are consciously tucking them away, safe and sound, as something to draw on, to hold close, to keep in the days, weeks, months, years ahead.

I should have thought of 'dancing in the moonlight'. :-) It has that feeling, really does. Friendship, fun, love, happiness. Perfect good times, living life to the full. I love that song so, just fills me with warm feelings, this chapter did the same. Such a perfect chapter, from that wonderful beginning to that amazing end. :-)

For this one, as with many another, there simply is no words to tell you how I loved this chapter.

tbc in the next break :-D

Autumn Storm said...

All except Von, they are so young, much younger than one might guess, and what compounds that fact is that Hynerians live much longer than we do, generally, and so one has to wonder whether, generally, development, the maturing process would be slower, or whether they just become so much more wise than we have time to.

The lives they have lead, so unusual, so many circumstances that most of us could not imagine how would change and shape us. But with these, with Kyra and Rog and Yul and Emy especially, it has only enhanced what was already there.

I sit here and I think about how close they must have become, all of them, though some have been more obvious than others, of how they must have, perhaps even without realizing it, come to rely on each other, to take each other for granted trapped together in that small space with nowhere to go but to the places they have already been. Stationary, yet in movement, in so many ways.

I just love that visual of them at the end, all sitting in a row, those faces we know and love, and an 8th glass. Biggest wows and a couple dozen shakes of my ponpoms - how else am I going to say it. :-)

tbc
Not sure why that is funny, but it is. :-D

Trée said...

And you know what, we still have at least three crew members we still know very little about (Emy, Mairi and Trev). Just wait till the story takes us to them and we are able to put those pieces of the puzzle in place. :-D

And then, even with the others, still so very much ground to cover, to learn, to discover as we watch them bloom and mature and the relationships grow stronger and the memories grow deeper into their lives.

As for the pompoms, you can shake those any time you like. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

I like it when you talk that way. Confirm that this story will likely go on for many, many months to come. :-) There are so few things in life that one can predict with any degree of certainty, this would be one. As long as you are able and willing to write, just as long will I, if able, be reading. :-D

Sweet dreams when you get that far, x

Dzeni said...

Wow!! That one had me *almost* crying. Brilliant move.

Trée said...

Wow Jenni, I wasn't expecting that reaction. I may need to read this one again. :-)

Trée said...

Sunshine, one never knows and one never says never, but I really see no end to this story anytime soon. I'm going to hold you to your promise, so look out. :-D

Anonymous said...

I bet she looked "wicked hot!!!"

I'd love to see an actual visual of her - and yet, maybe its best that we all get to envision in our own heads what we think the rest saw when she walked in.

I think....I think she owned the place :)

I love the power and control you allow her to have....

as far as the shots - well, I love the toast - true sentiments.

guess I better get busy and get some work done :)

t/c

Trée said...

Thanks Meg. You know, in my mind, she did look wickedly bitchin hot. :-D

When she wants, the room is hers and when she stepped up to the bar no one thought to do anything other than follow her lead. I can just see her shooting that shot of snoot and slamming the glass down on the counter and not hesitating to ask for another round. That's our Kyra. :-D

Can't wait to see which songs she choses to sing. :-)

Karen said...

Your fracs keep getting better; utterly amazing.

I don't think this was over written; it was playful yet full of meaning.

I'm here catching up again. I hope you and Jack are well; I've missed you both! *HUGS & KISSES* to you both!

Trée said...

Karen, always so good to see you stopping by. Jack and I are doing just fine and we do appreciate you asking. :-)

As always, thanks for the very kind words on the image and the story. I do so enjoy creating both and I love the incredible positive feedback you guys give me so freely. :-)

Miladysa said...

Awesome post!

I think you must have a bit of a fetish :)

Is Kyra an U S Army Ranger by any chance?

Trée said...

ROFLMFAO! Miladysa, Shhhsssss. You'll embarrass me. ;-)