Thursday, January 04, 2007

219. Don't Look Back


[ed note: In this chapter, the Yul we know is Aly.]

The jumper pulled up to the crowded dock and four doors opened in a gale of storm and emotion alike. In every direction ships of all shapes and sizes swayed at anchor, creaking like old men, as families were torn in goodbyes like leaves from autumn trees in a blustery gust.

“Father, may I have a minute with Aly?” asked Yul.

Their father looked vacantly annoyed, divided between honoring Yul’s request while doubting Aly’s merit. He was a large Hynerian, domineering most would say, imposing, no one would deny. Still, what Yul wanted, Yul got. “Make it quick Yul. Schedules must be obeyed.” The look he gave Aly would have frozen a battle hardened soldier.

Yul grabbed Aly by the arm and pulled her around the corner. “Look, we don’t have much time—“

“Hey, let’s cut the crap. I’m not pissed you’re leaving and I’m not. Never expected otherwise. But what the frail! Did you have to wear the same outfit. How bout I just cut my wrist so you can throw a little salt my way, for old times sake, you know, just for fun, one last time.”

“Are you through? Cause if you are, I want your scarf. Here, take mine and give me yours.”

Aly’s jaw dropped. “Are you shiotting me? Holy mother of Janus, I never imagined you . . . . Wait, no frailing sense in . . . Frail it. You want my frailing scarf. Here, take the damn thing.”

“Aly, it’s not what you think.”

“Frailing easy for you to say. You’re not the one with a death sentence, one you didn’t choose, one assigned to you by others. Ever wonder what it’s like to be judged?”

Yul’s face changed and in one fluid motion she slapped the living shiott out of Aly. “Listen up. I’m only going to say this one time and I’m going to say it real slow so that thick head of yours doesn’t frail this up. I’m dying. Got maybe six months to live, perhaps a year with luck, which certainly is longer than this planet’s got.”

Aly wiped a trickle of blood from the corner of her mouth. “So why are you telling me this? You think it gonna make me feel any better?”

Yul just shook her head. “You don’t get it do you?”

“Get what?”

“You think I would dress like you on purpose? My Janus, it about killed my soul to put these clothes on. Look, here’s the deal. Your name is Yul and you are getting on that ship. You understand?”

Aly stood with a deer in the highlights look. “What are you talking about?”

“The whole purpose of getting people off-world is to save them from certain death, to give them a chance to start over. I’m dying Aly. Makes no sense for me to get on that ship when I know you could go in my place.”

“So why—“

“Father. You think he would let you go if he knew?”

“Nope.”

“So, I’m giving you your chance. Now take my scarf. When we walk back around, your name is Yul. You hug Father. Kiss Mother. Ignore me and walk your arse up that plank as quickly as you can. And Aly?

“What?”

“Don’t look back.”

Categories: Story, Yul, Hyneria

23 comments:

Dzeni said...

Wow. This one was so good, it made me dizzy! Talk about high impact. Your ability to write tight, intense prose is amazing. If this was a roller coaster ride, you could make a fortune selling tickets!

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. After I wrote this one, the thought occurred to me, who really is onboard? Is our Yul really Aly and this story true? Or, is our Yul really Yul and she is making up this whole story to cover the embarrassment of her recent behavior or as a way to create sympathy for her situation.

Then again, maybe this is just the way it happened on the dock. :-D

I suppose in time, perhaps, we'll find out. Maybe. ;-)

keed said...

nice. sci fi rocks

Trée said...

Thanks Billy.

Keshi said...

I wanna look back just once at the bridge...;-)

Keshi.

Trée said...

Better hurry before I get too chilly and start lookin' elsewhere. ;-)

Karen said...

I didn't see this coming. Not a bit. Where ever Yul is, she is proud of Aly. Fantastic chapter and once again, I'm moved to tears.

HUUUGS & KISSES to you and Jack ;-)

Trée said...

Thanks Karen. We may still see some twists and turns in this whole Yul and Aly saga. Although Rog is sold, I'm not so sure Kyra and Von are going to be as easy. :-D

So the question becomes, is Rog being played? Place your bets. :-D

Karen said...

No, that would be so wrong, don't ruin this with reality ;-)

Yul gave Aly a second chance at life, the life she couldn't live. She literally gave her life for Aly. I doubt Aly could let her twin down like that, there IS good in her heart, I know it.

Trée said...

Karen, I hope you are right. I would be very unhappy with Aly if she is lying through her teeth and playing Rog for a fool.

Karen said...

Me too. Rog deserves better and so does Yul's memory.

Trée said...

Well, I think we have some interesting chapters coming up soon. But you know who I feel sorry for? Mairi. Poor girl has been forgotten. Lord knows what Dr X has been doing with her blue cones of hynerian benefaction. :-D

Oh my, sometimes I make myself laugh. I think I need me some of that kind of benefaction. Bless me child for I have sinned or at least that's my intention. :-D

Karen said...

Yes, it has been a while since we've heard about Mairi.

A little benefaction never hurt anyone ;-) I say it's natural.

Trée said...

I'm all for natural. Does the body good. Oh, and Jack agrees. Wholeheartedly.

Karen said...

Mmmm... good man, Jack ;-)

Autumn Storm said...

Gordon Bennett (and I've never used that expression before :-D!)!!

Fantastically perfect! You must (no, of course not:) let this be the real episode, I absolutely love it, the twist of it, that in the end, she has no action to feel guilty about, i.e. she did not commit some terrible crime of injustice upon her sister, rather was given the place, and therein lies her guilt, and not least due to the fact that due to how she was looked upon my her father etc, she feels wholly undeserving, like a cheat. I guess, she is, but not in the sense that was implied - her guilt comes from having a good heart, not because she forcefully took her sister's place. I love, love, love that scenario!
Fabulous chapter, just fabulous, in every way.

Trée said...

Sunshine, thanks for the Gordon Bennett--my first. :-D

Aly has survivors guilt, like all the rest, but it is compounded (for reasons to be revealed in a later chapter) by knowledge she now has.

More when my brain is working again. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

No doubt also by the fact that she herself is very ill now. Sweetie, your twists have been numerous, why they ever surprise as much as they do is a credit to how brilliant a writer you are, for by now we should expect them every so often. :-D This storyline has me at the absolute end of my seat, the suspence, the excitement and the just plain wonder of it all. Can't wait to hear what you have up your sleeve. :-)

Keshi said...

awwwwwwwwww :)

Keshi.

Autumn Storm said...

Afternoon all, hope those smiles are wide and lasting, x

tsduff said...

Honestly, I don't know why you haven't been writing all your life, racking up best seller after best seller... sigh - I suppose you ARE still young... tee hee :-D There is still time to pursue such a life.

I was down in Newport Beach visiting my former inlaws just last summer. Such a nice warm sunny place - too crowded for muah though. Enjoy your trip... don't work too hard :-D

Trée said...

Terry, I'm humbled by your comment. I would say something like I'm not good enough, but if I did, Sunshine would throttle me, so let me just say, your comment, well, that's about the nicest thing one could say. Thanks Terry.

Trée said...

Thanks Meg. Keeping my fingers crossed I have internet, which, regardless of what the resort says, you don't have until your computer connects. :-D

With a little luck, I should be around some. If not, well, I'm probably due a blog vacation, even if it is forced and against my will. :-D