Friday, January 26, 2007

231. In That Place


Kyra sat on the bridge of Bravo, reflective as a morning lake as stars twinkled silently like children at church; only the sound of her steady breathing could be heard. Von and Emy had decided to stay onboard for this mission, and, if truth be known, she preferred a smaller contingent and time to think. A year together was a long time to spend cooped up in a small vessel and the time away, she reasoned, or hoped, would be good for everyone. Above all, she hoped Yul would get the help she needed, which was to say, she hoped she’d see Yul again.

Sitting in the soft and worn leather of the captain’s chair, she mused on the thought that one day would be the day. Papa used to always say life was like rowing down a river, and then he would add with a laugh, a river that ended with a waterfall. Everyone would laugh, and then Papa would lower his voice and get serious again, his eyes looking round the room and making contact with each and every one before uttering in his low deep voice, but you don’t know if that waterfall is two days, two years or two decades away. You just know it’s there. Then, with the suddenness of a thunderclap, he would slap his hands to break the spell and say, How ‘bout some dinner!

Kyra closed her sapphire eyes and thought of that waterfall; and she thought of the precariousness of life on the open vastness of space, that no one was guaranteed a tomorrow. The haunting sounds of the tape played in her head as she wondered what she would find, not on board the vessel in question, but within her heart when she entered the realm of someone else’s waterfall. She knew the story well, for Papa never tired of telling it, of Zael and the outpost. But to hear it on the secure beaches of Valla among family and campfire, many years and millions of miles away was one thing; to be heading into her own private Zael was quite another.

Kyra opened her eyes, as instinct lead, and there was Emy to her right, absently starring at the distant blackness before them. Space always seemed vast and cold, no matter the temperature inside, like one was standing on the Nililian plains in winter with nothing but the horizon to be seen in any direction. Emy had chosen to go, for, as she said best, sailing was in her blood and ports of call were nothing but trouble waiting to happen. Besides, thought Kyra, Em had been a bit depressed of late, and this would be a good time to pull her out of her funk, or so the thinking went.

“Evening Em,” said Kyra.

“Evening Kyra. Only thing missing is the soft sea spray on my face and the wind in my hair,” answered Em, unconsciously twirling her brooch without taking her eyes from the large observation window that comprised the forward bridge. “Thanks for letting me come.”

“Glad to have you Em. I wasn’t sure anyone could turn down John’s offer.”

“Nah, this is where I belong. This is home, here, with you guys, on the move, seeking new adventures, not staying in any one place too long. My dad would have had it no other way, and you know, his blood courses through my veins as surely as Silus is the third moon.”

Kyra smiled. “Been awhile since I thought of Silus. Perhaps we can get Von to share some stories of his time there. Papa took me a time or two. It was, I think, the most peaceful and serene place I’ve ever been. Good times.”

Em smiled back. Wasn’t often that Kyra made small talk. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure Em, anything.”

“What is it like,” Em looked up as if the words she needed were on the ceiling, “well, you know—“

Kyra sat up and smiled. “On the other side?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s a good place Em. A place where concepts don’t exist and memory doesn’t matter; a place where the eyes see through the heart and the ears hear without sound. I know none of this probably makes any sense to you, but,” and Kyra looked as if she was looking through Em rather than at her, “it’s a place where words are not needed, and as such, I’ve never been able to find the words to describe the experience. I do know this, in my darkest hour, if I close my eyes and I think of this place, I find strength and that strength carries me down the river to a better place.”

Emy paused as if to let Kyra’s words seep in, almost savoring them like the last bite of ice cream knowing soon the warm glow would recede and only the memory remain. “Is Kieran there? In that place?”

Kyra smiled with her glassy blue eyes. “He is.”

“Is it true you’re seen him? Since—“

“Since he passed? Yes. It’s true.”

Em paused again as if to weigh what that meant, what that must have been like, how that could change how one saw life, to have that experience. “I bet my dad and mom are there. In that place.”

Kyra let the tone of Em’s words ripple across her consciousness and she couldn’t help but think who she might know who might be there too and the mere thought sent her heart racing. “I’m sure they are Em.”

And for what seemed like a long time Kyra and Em sat in silence, each lost in their own thoughts, somber in the unknown, reflective in the pools of memory.

“Hey, said Von, breaking the silence, “long faces don’t get us places.”

In unison, Kyra and Em responded, “What?”

“Rog and Yul have suggested an idea for our last night together,” said Von. “I say we put the long faces away and have a little fun.”

Kyra looked at Em in mock disbelief and Em burst out laughing. “Are you serious?”

Von grinned. “What? You think I’m too old to have fun?”

“Yeah, I do,” said Em.

“What did they have in mind Von,” said Kyra.

“Come with me. I think you’re going to like this.” Neither Em nor Kyra budged. “Come on, I’m not gonna bite. Rog found some old equipment that I think I can get working. A good way to say goodbye. Come on, they’re waiting. Be good for our souls.”

“Our souls or your soul?” teased Kyra.

Von just shook his head. “Well, as much as I hate to disappoint you two young lasses, our little vixen ain’t sharing her stash, at least not yet. Besides, I’m going to need you two at full strength when we get where we’re going,” winked Von. “Now come on. Or are you two afraid of dancing or singing or both?”

Categories: Story, Kyra, Papa, Emy, Von

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - this was really good Tree. I mean really good!

So tell me, do you think its like this?

"A place where concepts don’t exist and memory doesn’t matter; a place where the eyes see through the heart and the ears hear without sound. It's a place where words are not needed, and as such, I’ve never been able to find the words to describe the experience. I do know this, in my darkest hour, if I close my eyes and I think of this place, I find strength and that strength carries me down the river to a better place.”

Cause to me, you've described the other side perfectly. I like to think thats where we all get to end up one day - one day after we've served our time here.....

Oh heck, this post just made me go and get all sentimental about things that have been floating around in my head for awhile....

NOW - thats no way to be for a Friday,,,,,dang, gotta get the sassiness back.

Seriously, I love how this story never stops twisting and turning and how the anticipation well never runs dry.

take care and hava super weekend,
Meg

BTW, would I be number one again??? Two days in a row? Autumn is working way too hard :)

Hey Autumn!!!

Trée said...

Meg, first let me say thanks for such a heartwarming comment. Thank you my friend.

As to your question, I do think like this, I do imagine a place like I describe and I do find much peace and comfort when I pull back and look at life from a much larger perspective than the daily grind with all its bumps and bruises.

I also find, and I may write about this more in chapters to come, about the difference between doing and being and that time spent just "being" is nourishing to the soul in so many ways. I personally know I do not spend enough time just sitting, just being. There is a part of me that feels I must always be doing something, must always be creating some value with action, and the fact of the matter is, doing is not always best, especially doing without reflection and perspective.

I can't say how touched I am and how much your comment about the story means to me. I hope you have a great weekend and you exhaust yourself in the arms of joy. :-)

Peace to you my friend. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

I'm just sitting here smiling at this chapter and wondering what on earth there is to say other than it is wonderful. :-)

As soon as I started reading, that very first sentence, it was apparent treats lay ahead. It's those small decriptions that add such life to your chapters, visuals created in just a few words. You always do this and I feel the same sense of wonder each time.

The two parts that stand out in this chapter are papa's words about the waterfall, as mentioned by Meg (Hey Meg), the other that spoke to me was Kyra's thoughts on who else might be on the other side - the unknowingness that they have had to endure as to what happened to their loved ones, all this time had been somewhat in the background, for this was just the way things were - they had no way of knowing. Now there is not only the possibility of another ship, but once again, something to bring those thoughts out into the open anew.

Papa. :-)
Hearing him speak, I think of his face and those wonderful eyes. Even as he says them here, not that anyone listening, at any of those dinner parties or here now, would not realize the fact, but he has such a unique way with words that just brings it home in a way few could.

Can't wait for the next chapter! Singing and dancing - right up my alley, I wanna see Von boogie with Yul, Rog and Em, Kyra and Trevor and all the other combinations too. :-D

Once again, there are just so many different things in this chapter that could be taken and held up to the light. Excellent chapter, really is, once again - you are nothing if not consistant. :-)

Trée said...

Sunshine, thank you for those kind and thoughtful words. Always a pleasure to read your comments.

You know, the more I write of Papa, the more I want to sit by that campfire, or next to him while he is painting and just listen to whatever he has to say. Seems like such a wise and gentle one, one that sees the big picture and one that knows how to mix a lesson with humor and how to tell a story to captivate a point and push us to expand how we see. Kyra was a lucky one. :-)

I've lost my share of friends and family and I must say that each time it happens I wonder. Was that it? Are they gone forever? Or will I see them again.

This is the root of Em's questioning. She wants to know that there is another place, she wants to hear it straight from Kyra and she wants to believe that she will see her mom and dad again. She needs that hope and as we see from her questions, she wonders how that changes everything when you know like Kyra knows, which is to say, you know without the barrier of belief.

I think we all share that desire. I think we all feel that need. To know. And Kyra knows like few know. :-)

Kel-Bell said...

I got your google invite via e-mail, and just dropped in to say hi!

Trée said...

Welcome Kel, so glad to see you stopping by. :-)

Karen said...

Gotta love having some fun. I liked the "play" you put in this chapter. I could also imagine what Kyra was thinking of; it took me to a happy place in my mind too.

Fantastic!!

Trée said...

Thank you Karen. The first draft of this chapter had this scene written a little differently with Bravo already on its way to the target area and the playfulness of Von was just a slight bit different but it just didn't quite work in my mind, so I moved the time back to the last night the whole crew was together and so there you have it. :-)

We will see where this is heading in the next few chapters. :-)

Karen said...

Since you won't tell me where it's going, then I guess I do have to wait to see LOL ;-) Just kidding; I like the surprises.

I can see how the other way wouldn't have worked; you do well to follow your heart.

I hope you and Jack are having a great weekend *HUGS & KISSES* to you and Jack.

ChickyBabe said...

I hope it's not karaoke where they're going! :P

Sorry... couldn't resist!

Magdalene-Sophie said...

*..blinks, pauses, ...breathes in, then out*

Mmmmmmm~

you write well. if i were you, i'd love for the world to read my little stories..which, when put together, becomes one wonderful jigsaw puzzle.

*smile*..

Trée said...

Magdalene, that is such a wonderful way to view these little chapters, I like that metaphor very much. Thanks so much for accepting the invite and stopping by. And thanks for your very kind words too. Always, always much appreciated. :-)

Trée said...

Chicky, I hate to say it, but that is where they are going. Only thing holding me back on the next chapter is trying to determine which character sings which song, plus there is a bit of a surprise I need to work into this too that I don't think anyone is expecting. Hope you are enjoying the long holiday. How I wish I could get on my bike and sweat today, to feel the hot sun on my skin and my legs pumping on the pedals as I pound out a steady rhythm. You should come, riding with me, sometime. :-D

Trée said...

Karen, Jack has been begging me to spend more time with him so I think I probably will give him the time he wants, which is never really all that long when it's all said and done. :-D

Good advice. Haven't gone wrong yet whenever I've followed my heart. :-)

Trée said...

Oh Y, your warm words turn me to jelly, well, not all of me actually. :-D

So good to see you my dear woman of peerless sexual poetry. Is that steam locomotive picking up steam? I thought I heard a whistle somewhere. :-D

Trée said...

Baby, now that is what I like to hear. Right now, I have "Funkytown" playing and my head is bobbing like a doll on the dashboard and all I can think is "why don't you take me to funkytown." :-D

I've got my ticket. Promise I do. Just stop that train long enough for me to get onboard. :-D

Stargazer said...

Beautiful exchange between Kyra and Em. I really got caught up with it. I identified with your comment regarding feeling like you always must be doing something. Lately, I've been feeling that way more than usual.

I have to keep reminding myself that it's the 'quality' of what you're doing that's important, not the 'volume' of things. I often think how much of daily tasks (things we think we HAVE to do) are unimportant. Thank you for reminding me how important time spent "being" really is.

Trée said...

Deb, we live in a society that values action, doing. We see it everywhere and are bombarded with messages from the time we are born that we must do, we must achieve, we must work hard and keep a clean house and attend church and the list just goes on and on and on. And so many of us spend our lives in utter busyness because we think that is what we are suppose to do.

But I will tell you this. No one I have ever known, on their deathbed, said to me, "I wish I had spent more time at the office," or "If only I had cut the grass more or kept the house neater."

What you do hear is the missed opportunities to simply spend time with loved ones. Not doing anything special, just "being" with them. These are the things that matter. The size of our houses or accounts or cars or vacations and all the rest are fool's gold.

Just my opinion. Thanks for the kind words on the story and I'm tickled to death to hear that you read aloud and play the audio for Mark. I hope he doesn't see it as a necessary evil. :-D