Saturday, January 13, 2007

223. Calibration


Calfuray secured the lock and set the self-destruct. If she didn’t return, then no one else would either, not that she cared one way or the other. Her mission was straightforward. Find John, kill him. Find Tom, kill him too. Return onworld and hope like hell the ensuing chaos created an opening. A rather simple mission until her cover was blown. The mighty null, she mused, shaking her head, what a frailing joke.

Long before the tocsins, Kyra knew. She closed the folio, stood, opened her eyes and allowed the unnatural vibration of ill will to wash over her six senses like a bloodhound taking the measure of its charge. Walking to her closet she slipped out of her jacket and molded her hard body into her black bodyglove. The glove, as it was called, fit like a second skin, allowing full and unhindered motion while providing more protection than a full suit of ceramite armor.

She had wanted a glove for as long as she could remember, but Papa insisted she earn it. Days of training turned into weeks and weeks into months and months into years. Her physical skill grew quickly, a natural, Papa would say. More shocking, or perhaps most delightful to Papa, her mental acumen astonished as if it danced ahead beckoning and teasing the body to keep pace. The first time Von saw the child perform, Papa asked him how long he thought she had been in training. Von gave an educated guess of three years, which for most Tao would have been a fair estimate. When Papa replied three months the two simply exchanged glances with raised brows.

In her glove, Kyra looked abso-frailing-lutely lethal as coal black hair fell on shoulders neither wide nor narrow, strong yet lithe and eyes sapphire blue narrowed in focus with an intensity seen rarely outside the annuals of greatness personified in the moment of destiny. Kyra pulled her hair back and bended knee while whispering words not known. Goldie watched from the shadows, quiet as a mouse waiting for the cat to pass, mesmerized with circuits feeding off energy sublime and overpowering. Goldie never felt more alive.

Calfuray felt it too. Von’s signature was clear and she made a note, time permitting she mused, of his location. But there was another, one stronger, one different yet somehow similar. Her mind raced. Priorities flickered and threat analysis considered. To the left, her main objective; to the right, this unknown threat, a threat growing warmer, stronger, nearer. John would have to wait.

Calfuray, like Kyra, was something of a prodigy. Not of the Arc’teryxian race, she had been bartered in a hostage trade to keep the peace many years before in a campaign the voice would just as soon forget. The peace was broken and Calfuray, as agreed, would render blood. After she killed the seventh executioner, barehanded, the voice thought otherwise. Natural talent of this order was rare. Ten years later Calfuray’s skills as an assassin were unmatched. Until her encounter with Von, she had never failed a mission. She intended to never fail another.

“Are you looking for me?” asked Kyra, standing on the far end of the cargo bay.

Calfuray focused her oculus crosshairs and marveled at the feedback. Calibration failed, but that was only a matter of time. “You know, we both want the same thing.”

“And what would that be?” responded Kyra, trying to get a feel for this unknown entity. Vibrations were mixed in an odd sort of way. Not what she expected. But then, she thought, what was.

“To go home. To live in peace,” said Calfuray. “We are tired of being hunted, of running, of living on worlds not our own. I sense you understand. Am I wrong?”

Kyra smile and now she knew why Von had had such a struggle. Before she could answer she felt a warm purplish light cross her retinal. Calfuray felt it too. Calibration. And upon the signal released the hounds of hell with all her might.

Categories: Story, Calfuray, Kyra

16 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

I became my mother for a second, lol, and let out a whistling sound at the end of reading that, her equivalent of my 'oh my gosh', I suppose it signifies. :-D

Oh my gosh! I'm stunned by how good this chapter is, fast-paced, I was reading as fast as I absolutely could to see what came next. The chapter before what comes next and as that it could not have set the scene any better. It inspired every confidence in Kyra being able to hold her own, but Calfuray obviously can too, so we have quite the battle about to ensue. Fan-frailing-tastic piece of writing, abso-frailing-lutely fan-frailing-tastic to be accurate!

All the information about Kyra, from how she looked dressed in her glove to the question put to Von to the words and thoughts at the end, it's not easy to describe what you were able to do in just one short chapter, but if ever there was any doubt that Kyra was something special, it most certainly came to be known as such here.

Trée said...

Welcome home honey. I take it you liked this chapter? :-D

Got to run to lunch. Be back in a bit, but you are sending me on my way with a huge grin. You know, you have a gift for commenting and I am blessed to receive. Bless me child. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

I didn't quite catch that. Bless my hide?

Bon appetit, have fun. :-)
Yes to that other question. Fab chapter, and may I add fab fractals over at Trebuchet - you are outdoing yourself! Again.

Trée said...

Sorry, my faux pas. Yes, that should have been bless my hide. :-D

You know what? I think we are about to see Kyra kick some arse like we've never seen her do before. This next chapter could be the one that forever changes how we see her and, just as important, how the rest of the crew sees her. :-D

My only dilemma is, I like Calfuray. So, what do I do with her?

You know what else. I can't get the image of Kyra out of my mind in her skin-tight glove. I'm in the mood to write a whole chapter just about her and the glove, how it feels, how you put it on, what it looks like, how it works. The Glove. :-D

Dang, now I'm in the mood to go work out. Wanna sweat with me? :-D

Autumn Storm said...

Your story, your perogative. I say write the Glove chapter.

As said, a well-constructed build, I'm so excited to read the follow-up. I have high expectations, but that's no problem, it's a given that they will be surpassed (no pressure, just truth:)

And, sweetie, I would workout with you anytime, but only if you promise to wear lycra - you look mighty fine in lycra, so biker boy tells me. :-D Sweet dreams when you get that far, my turn first though, xo

Dzeni said...

There is a lot of raw power in this piece. Really amazing stuff. Gripping and compelling all the way through!

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. :-)

Trée said...

Lycra? LMAO

Sunshine, and I thought you wanted to use your imagination. :-D

Karen said...

OK, you've got me sitting on the edge of my chair again. Although I understand they don't want to be hunted any longer, I don't want John killed.

I'm looking for that happy ending where everyone gets along... LOL

I hope you and Jack are able to have some free time this weekend. *HUUGS*

Trée said...

Thanks Karen. Hope you enjoyed the ending to this one in the chapter above. Jack was pretty excited about it. :-)

Karen said...

Jack knows his stuff and he and I have common likes. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Fast and furious, thats exactly how I would describe this part of the story. Autumn is right, it makes a person want to read it faster just to see what happens next.

I was wondering where it was going when you wrote "You know, We both want the same thing..." :)

catching up on the story this morning, was out and about all weekend. Hope yours was nice and relaxing.

Meg

Trée said...

Had a very nice weekend Meg. Lots of football and not much else. Thanks for asking. :-)

tsduff said...

There is nothing I can do but read on. I am not, nor have I ever been, one of the particpants. I don't exactly have a clue why, but it is okay. Just the story of my ongoing reality. I have never been a participant as far as portraits, nor named characters in your sagas... guess that honor goes only to the very limited chosen few. May not be a diva, but my opinion is sincere.

I love your story - have avidly followed along for a great while now- see my arms raised in praise and continuing human longing. There. I've said it.

Miladysa said...

Very enjoyable post. Love the writing style here!

Trée said...

Miladysa, I so love that you follow all the links and read the supporting chapters. Thanks for the kind words. As you can see, my style changes about like the wind, which is to say as often as my mood. :-D