Friday, May 15, 2009

water, with lemon

We were talking, over dinner
about the upcoming marriage
of our daughter
when I ordered water, with lemon
as did my wife
as did the couple in front of us
as did the couple behind us
the orders as natural
as chimes in the wind
and I wondered,
about this marriage

of lemon and water
and I wondered when this happened
because when I was growing up
you ordered water
just water
no lemon

and for the life of me
I cannot remember
when this changed
apparently not invited
to this union

and then I thought,
was this a shotgun wedding
something that happened
out of sight
Pop lemon grower
holding the shotgun
on Ma Water's daughter

because for the life of me
I swear I do not remember
but it seems
from the couple in front
and the couple behind

that
somebody
got word
probably from
those damn grapes
working
the
vine

only this
was no rumor
as I looked around
at glass after glass
and little Ms Lemon
was,
well,
made me blush
the
hussy

2 comments:

Autumn said...

This poem is original and unique, novel in both approach and subject, what I find myself wondering, smiling, about is that moment of realization, though you describe thought-processes in detail within the poem, of whether you found it amusing, as well as interesting (perplexing) and surprising. The colloquial phrasing and gender-specific appellations gives this poem a wonderful whimsical tone, it is just one-of-a-kind, ain't seen nothing like it before and unless you are at the other end of the pen, I doubt we shall see anything like this again. :-D

Trée said...

Well, this is what happens over dinner and wedding talk and my over active imagination. I do wonder when we started requesting lemon with water, for there was a time this was not common practice.