Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Vermont Memories

I once sold books in Vermont, the green hills
as (beautiful) entrancing as a fairy tale.

I would rise at 6:00am, take a cold shower
and be on my way to breakfast

a short drive of twenty minutes
up, over and around the verdant hills.

On the morning I am remembering
and have remembered all my life

I woke to gunsmoke overcast skies
and I thought of the long day ahead

going door-to-door in the in the cold light
and light rain of a dreary day.

Out the door by 6:30
listening to Frankie Goes to Hollywood

and smiling at or perhaps with
On the Way to San Jose

I felt the familiar pop of ears
from this flatlander

as I was called with a wry smile
on more than one occasion

rising through the old man mist
about three quarters up a hill

I emerged into daylight as if on wings
and as far as I could see

were eddies of green tops
like candy drops

sitting on a blanket of white
like candy drops in a box

full of cotton.
And above those green candy top

hills, sitting on their fluffy billow
was nothing but glorious blue sky

and a reigning sun
beaming golden life.

Within minutes
I was heading back down

into the murky soup of shades
but the image, the metaphor

perhaps the lesson
has always remained

although I think I've forgotten
where I left those notes.

2 comments:

gerry boyd said...

"murky soup of shades". nice.

Trée said...

Thanks Gerry. I wrote this poem in the murky shades of morning, the memory lapping from my dreams in those faded hues of fairy tales.