Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"my father"

I was reading a poem
by a son
talking about his father
and he used the exact phrase:

"my father"

I smiled as he held this imaginary
conversation with "my father"
one very similar to my own
imaginary conversations

in which I am always the son
and he is always "my father'
until today, until this moment
reading this poem;

and it occurred to me
as if for the first time
and perhaps it was for the
first time

fifteen years hence
that in this narrative
of father and son
I felt crowded

almost embarrassed
claustrophobic even
and somewhat ashamed
and resentful

that a poem had to tell me
there was another son
who had a "my father"
and what I thought was mine

a unique duet
stories strung together
like the fish
we never caught
of the many games
played but
never watched
of the times I
tucked myself in
because bedtime
was not
2:30am

of what was clear
seemed not simple;
his anger, voiced
yet unknown
my pain, silent
and growing

was just my hubris
and self-centered nature
revolving
around

the ghost of a child
fifteen years a father
with a son who probably
thinks of me
as his

"my father"

No comments: