Monday, May 18, 2009

Aung San Suu Kyi

If I were in peril
or prison
or the pearl of prison
a martyr to be
in a land unjust
as humidity

behind bars
dank and sweaty
that speak in the clang
of locks locking
holding innocent eyes
as the night holds
distant stars

would someone
far away
think
of me

I wonder
as I click
past the plight
of Aung San Suu Kyi

on bended knee
before the church
of my illuminated screen
I pray
there are souls
greater than mine

and I ponder
tonight
where she might be
and on what she
might say

as I type my simple words
before I slip between my warm sheets
and dream my sweet dreams
in a quiet room
made hammock peaceful
with a belly
full of food

6 comments:

Athena Marie said...

Touching, powerful.

Trée said...

Thanks Athena. Aung San Suu Kyi has more intestinal fortitude and courage in her little finger than I do in my whole body times ten.

runnerfrog said...

Thanks so much for the poem.
Nothing better said in the last months than "I pray there are souls greater than mine" about her case.
It is totally horrendous, a painful case to follow for years, dreadful in the last days... and illuminating about the darkness and the light of the human soul, but at which price, really, what a high price to pay. Nothing really worths a wasted life, and they're trying to waste hers, no matter what they try, her legacy will live stronger, but we're, obviously, more concerned about her.
So much anxiety in only reading about her all this time, I can't even imagine the real pain on her side.

Trée said...

Cristian, very well said. Thank you for your comment. Likewise, from the comfort of my home, neither can I begin to even measure the cup of her pain and how it spills over the sides of her strength.

swhisn1 said...

Very moving Tree, Makes me feel guilty for complaining about things, and thankful for the simple things.

Trée said...

Sandra, I feel the same way. Always nice to see you stopping by. :-)