Thursday, May 07, 2009

hugs

not all hugs are equal
nor all kisses
or looks
for that matter

a dollar may be a dollar
and a nickel worth five cents
but hugs follow a different ethic
live by a different code
where flesh is just
the messenger

when you've been held
by the love
of a five-year-old
who sees in you
the world
the whole world
you know love

ask a soldier
or his wife
on the tarmac
of goodbye
where souls tear
as eyes
by a cause
little understood

they know the hug
the refusing to let go
the refusing to hold on
of fingers that can't lie

those hugs brand memory
a light in the darkest hours
a reason to carry on
to touch again
love

10 comments:

morrow said...

I love the second to last stanza. I had never thought about how hug telling you different things. Interesting. You come up with such good ideas for your poems that are inspiring.

Trée said...

morrow, hugs are a language unto themselves and if you've ever experienced the hugs of this poem, you never forget and you know, all hugs are not the same. I wish you many hugs of love and a wonderful weekend. Thanks for the very kind words. :-)

Anonymous said...

*hugz* I love hugz. I hug eveyone. Even strangers in the supermarket! I do not lie.Ha! See I am that crazy/mad English Woman!
I am loving your 'Hugs' words. So very true Mister Tree, so very true.

Trée said...

Then, one day, we must exchange hugs, you and I, in the way of poets, which is to say, with hearts that beat in our finger tips. :-)

swhisn1 said...

This is so true...good hugs (the ones with feelings)are so hard to find

Trée said...

Sandra, I couldn't agree more. :-)

j said...

The good bye hug and the hello again hug between soldier and wife are different. My cousin has sent her husband to Iraq and welcomed him home again. The pictures of their reunion still make me tear up.

Trée said...

Very true Jen. Sigh.

Mona said...

(((HUGS)))

Trée said...

Mona: {{{{HUGS}}}}