Thursday, January 29, 2009

Two


There are two colds
the cold of the morning
before the heat is turned up
and the cold of the night
when there is no heat
no heat upon which to turn

There are two hungers
the hunger of the patron
late for dinner
and the hunger of the child
who knows his empty bowl
will remain barren

There are two leavings
the leaving of a loved one
who will return in the evening
and the leaving of service
held as bells toll
as widows weep
as clergy drone

I am cold
I am hungry
I am leaving
and I cannot not tell you
of what cold
of what hunger
of what leaving

For there are two fears
the fear I can face
that I can stare down
and the fear whose shadow
is greater than the sun
that warms my world

You see, I fear the cold
the cold of the shadow
and my bowl,
you see,
is as round inward
as my belly is outward
and the bells I hear
I've heard before
but the bell that tolls for thee
never sounds like the bell that tolled for he

8 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Just fell a little further. Quick one-liner for now, for the hour is late, with every poem that you write, with every chapter of your story, with every word, more certain still becomes the absolute certainty that just as your beauty of heart, this innate, wondrous and exceptional gift that you have, that defines you as Writer, is without bound. Stirring and touching, and brilliant.

Trée said...

Thank you Ms Storm. I wish I did not have the experience that this poem sits upon. I wish I did not know how to write what was written here. I wish I could read these words and wonder what they mean or question the poet's ability. I wish these were just words and I wish it had taken more than ten minutes to write, I wish this was a creation of my mind and not of my gut and I wish I was not out of agave. :-D

SaffronSaris said...

Woah! Really straight forward, but how very true.
Could I paste this poem on SaffronSaris? Acknowledging the poet you of course.

Trée said...

Yes Saffy, by all means. I would be honored. Thank you.

Mona said...

Yes Tree...& there are always two ways & two choices too... You can choose to walk, left or right...

You will survive I know...we all do...For imagined fear is always greater than frightful reality. Nothing in this world cannot be overcome...

love

Mona

Trée said...

Thanks Mona. Always darkest before the dawn as they say. First light will be here any moment. :-)

j said...

Read your comment to Ms. Storm and saw your pain... I am sorry for that. But I hope on the other side, where you look back and say "Wow, look how far I have come and what I have made it through" that you are able to appreciate the depth to your writing and see how adversity was faced with skill.

Trée said...

Jen, the only comfort I find in these hours is that perhaps from all this unnecessary pain, that upon these barren rocks, will emerge a solitary flower or flowers, namely, these poems, written as bleeding, bleeding the poison, bleeding upon the page, perhaps staining parchment in the years to come, perhaps just a note in someone's drawer, perhaps a jewel upon the beach.