Friday, January 30, 2009

Blue Lights


Blue lights
or white lights
encased in blue plastic
twirling
blinking
on the hood of cruisers
in the winter night

Blinking on the road
near to home
a road travelled often
a road I was on
this night

I had stopped at the store
and she had preceded me
the one that wore a ring
the one that left before me
the one that would be driving
the same route home

I turned the corner
and it felt like Christmas
early dark
whipping cold
a long hard day
and those blinking lights

Annoyed
I remember
my first thought
so close to home
so many lights
and groceries too
how long would we wait

My car slowed
as the ones before me
and my mind did too
as I recalled
the love that drove
this very route
before me

Would my life
in this moment
change perspective
as it changed forever
and what seemed so hard
seemed a pittance
in the glow of light
Twirling blue

7 comments:

Trée said...

The ride home tonight as my wife preceded me from work, traveling twenty minutes before me.

Autumn Storm said...

Life has a funny way of doing this, reminding us that even when it is raining hard and heavy, it could have been harder, it could have been heavier. Two philosophies come to mind reading this, firstly the belief that the mountain on the path up ahead is scalable as all rises are, one step at a time and included therein the conviction that on any path there will not be anything that rises so high that the climber in question does not have the stamina needed and secondly that wherever we are at any given time is precisely where we are meant to be, that we arrive at the here and now only when it is ready for us and until then the here and now is right here and right now. In other words, we never know how things would be, did our time run ahead or behind. Safe journeys both, thankfully, destination in common and achieved. Invaluable piece of writing, beautifully written.

snowelf said...

Sometimes little moments of introspection and inspiration attack us from out of the simplest of things. All that on a typical drive home.

--snow

Trée said...

LOL, okay, no more five minute poems. Sorry to inflict you guys with my dribble. I think it's time to get my head back into the business of Bravo. I'm sure they must have been up to something. ;-)

snowelf said...

I promise, I REALLY don't mind the poetry.

--snow

Trée said...

Snow, noted. And thanks. :-)

j said...

Experiences like this one would cause me gut wrenching fear. My GREATEST fear is loss and my mind toys and worries and wollers in that fear way too often.