Friday, February 08, 2008

454. All I Need



Em sat quietly in the stiff chair waiting for Dr X. In a matter of minutes the bandages would come off and she would either see again or not. The door opened and from across the floor she heard steps. Sitting upright, her hands grasped the sides of the cold metal chair as if on a circus ride. A warm hand slid on top of hers.

"Dr?"

"It's me."

"Trev?"

"Yeah."

"What do you want?"

Trev took a deep breath as one about to dive into a deep pool. "The other night, I wanted to sing you a song."

"And?"

"Well, I'm not perfect. Sometimes I do things I don't understand. Sometimes I'm just an idiot."

"I'm not disagreeing."

"If you want me to turn around and walk out that door right now, I'll understand."

Em sighed. "What's the song?"

"I'm sorry, what did you say?'

"The song. You said you had a song you were going to sing to me the other night."

"Oh. Just something I thought, I thought could say, what I wanted, to say. But--

"But what?"

"I lost my nerve." Trev looked down into an awkward silence.

"I see. Well, I don't really see, but you know what I mean."

Trev squeezed her hand.

"Well? Are you gonna sing me that song?"

"Now?"

"Yeah, now."

As two birds on a branch, one looking to the other and the other drinking in each word, Trev began to sing.



All I Need (Mat Kearney)

Here it comes it's all blowing in tonight
I woke up this morning to a blood red sky
They're burning on the bridge turning off the lights
We're on the run I can see it in your eyes
If nothing is safe then I don't understand
You call me your boy but I'm trying to be the man
One more day and it's all slipping with the sand
You touch my lips and grab the back of my hand
The back of my hand

[chorus]
Guess we both know we're in over our heads
We got nowhere to go and no home that's left
The water is rising on a river turning red
It all might be OK or we might be dead
If everything we've got is slipping away
I meant what I said when I said until my dying day
I'm holding on to you, holding on to me
Maybe it's all gone black but you're all I see
You're all I see

The walls are shaking, I hear them sound the alarm
Glass is breaking so don't let go of my arm
Grab your bags and a picture of where we met
All that we'll leave behind and all that's left
If everything we've got is blowing away
We've got a rock and a rock till our dying day
I'm holding on to you, holding on to me
Maybe it's all we got but it's all I need
You're all I need

And if all we've got, is what no one can break,
I know I love you, if that's all we can take,
the tears are coming down, they're mixing with the rain,
I know I love you, if that's all we can take.

A pool is running for miles on the concrete ground
We're eight feet deep and the rain is still coming down
The TV's playing it all out of town

We're grabbing at the fray for something that won't drown


"Em?"

"Yeah?"

"You're hurting my hand."

"Oh."

Releasing his hand, one smile melted into the other and where cheeks were dry, a glistening river marked a touching of hearts.

"You ready to get these bandages off?"

"Absolutely."

Trev nodded to Dr X. "And Em."

"Yes."

"I'm not going anywhere."

30 comments:

Trée said...

Chapter inspired and dedicated to Deena. You my dear courageous one, are an inspiration to more people than you know. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you do not walk alone. This chapter is my hand holding yours.

Wamblings said...

Beautiful! I'm at work so will have to wait to listen to the song but I loved the chapter and was so pleased to see that you used my favorite fractual. I feel a poem trying to come to the surface every time I view that picture. Eventually it will surface and I'll post it with a link to Trebuchet. Odd how feelings can stir around in there, promising poetry yet refusing to show up as words. It will come though. In its own time.

Trée said...

Wamblings, the song really fits what Trev wants to say and really fits them losing their home, on the eve of bloodshed, her blindness. If fact, I don't think I could have commissioned a song better for this moment than this one. :-D

So glad you like this image. I see this one representing an old gramophone, playing as Trev sings. ;-)

Looking forward to seeing that poem. :-)

Gloria Horsehound said...

"Well, I'm not perfect. Sometimes I do things I don't understand. Sometimes I'm just an idiot."

Simple and effective. The magical three sentences. Where would we be without them?

Trée said...

In the frailing doghouse, that's where. :-D

Nice to see you popping by Angela. :-)

j said...

*sigh*

Autumn Storm said...

So perfect a chapter there is really nothing else left to say. But then since did that make any difference.

I have such high hopes for these two, they inspire it, though there are times when it seems as though they are too fragile, that there is too much else going on beneath the surface and on the surface for them to be able to manage this early on. The chapter where she hugs him to her and this one, that is all that is needed now, these two may not be together always, but they will see these times through, I trust.
I love this song with all my heart, perfect in regards to dear Deena and perfect for Trev's voice (given the reception he received last year, it had to be something as special as this is). The softness of the voice, the echo, again perfect this time for the scene and for the darkness of Em's current world and the increased keenness of her other senses. Phenomenally touching it is to hear him singing these words as he holds her hand, as they wait to know whether she will see again and following the chapter with Mairi. Like the needle in the record, I am unable to get past the song, the sheer beauty, makes me want to hug the world and feel the rain and shed a tear for all the loving hearts I have seen these past days at Deena's, at the House, everywhere. You touch like few others, Poppet, I read a chapter like this and I don't know what to do with myself other than keep talking. :-D To read a chapter of yours, to see so startlingly, whiplashingly frailtastic an image as this, it's a slice of heaven, it is a perfect (several) moments.

Trée said...

Sweetest, the kindness and love you have shown me in these comments over the last two years have been the greatest lesson I've learned as an adult. I cannot tell you the power there is in a kind word, or, for that matter, the terrible destructive power of an unkind one. You have blessed me in ways you'll never know. Thank you.

Trée said...

Jen, :-)

SweetAnnee said...

LOVELY!!!! LOVELY!!
the song made me CRY
Music is just a WONDERFUL
blessing.

and so are yOU!!!

fondly, deena who
loves the pictures of Tre'e Yorkies

Trée said...

Deena, your spirit and courage gives me strength and hope. You, my dear, are the blessing to all those around you. Glad you are home safe and warm and back in familiar surroundings. Thanks for taking the time to stop by. I wasn't planning on writing a chapter today, but when I saw your pic at the hospital and I saw your expression and your hand, this chapter appeared as if handed to me from above. You will always be associated with this chapter and, now, with The Story. :-)

carlene federer said...

can't believe you have a whole herd of Yorkies, you must not mind getting bossed around, lol!
Very cool thing you've got going on here, I'll be back to check it out!

Trée said...

Carlene, I have four yorkies and you can find their pictures here: Yorkies

Thanks for the kind words and I do hope to see you around again. :-)

Wamblings said...

OMG You're right. No song could have been more perfect than that. And why is it that every song I hear, every image burning into my retina reminds me of her? Sorry, momentary lapse.

Trée said...

Wamblings, it's a great feeling isn't it? :-)

j said...

I'm out 9.88 for the Mat Kearney CD now. Worth it though. I slipped over to Deena's blog and visited her tonight. Her smile rivals the Mona Lisa. I think you are one of the kindest human beings to dedicate such a beautiful chapter to her. I was given a blog award/tag this week and I gave it to her in return. She deserves it more than anyone I know...she is amazing.
I couldn't comment on the post today because my kiddos were swarming around me NEEDING. (always needing :) and that's ok).
Hard to be all 'a flutter in that environment. This spoke to the hopeless romantic in me. Very Nice.

Trée said...

Jen, I think Mat is worth it. :-D

Have to agreed about Deena, a very special soul and that is a very nice thing you did. May I one day have one tenth the courage she is showing.

As always, your kind words are very much appreciated. Thank you Jen. :-)

j said...

No, no, no, it's not about me. I wish there WAS something I could do that was nice for her. It's actually pathetic. I see someone struggling with something so HUGE, and I feel helpless. I don't have the words that you have, that you can use to comfort her. But I do have FAITH, and I have prayer. God knows her needs physically, spiritually, and emotionally. If I didn't have that faith, living in this world, I would go stark raving mad. And on that note, Tree dear, I am going to bed. Prayers first, sweet dreams of Em and Trev to follow...I hope.

Trée said...

Jen, you do more than you know. I've seen your comments. Sweet dreams when you get that far. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love that picture!! And of course, your writing. :-D Hm, you should listen to "Ghosts" by Matt Kearney (I think I spelt his name right).

Trée said...

Thank you Jennifer. I'll have to check out Ghosts--haven't heard that one. :-)

Stargazer said...

"...and where cheeks were dry, a glistening river marked a touching of hearts."

Ah, so very sweet :-)

Trée said...

I try. :-)

Miladysa said...

Trev surprised me - I was not expecting that.

Very honourable to dedicate this post to the wonderful and inspring Deena.

Four Yorkies - my my - another surprise - they are sooo sweet :]

Trée said...

Miladysa, I was going to have Trev sing this at karaoke and then have Emy counter with McBride's Broken Wing, but I just didn't like the sense of public rebuke that would have interjected. So neither sang. Then, when I saw the picture of Deena in hospital and I saw her face and hand and expression, I knew--I knew in a heartbeat what Trev would do and how Em would react. This chapter is more than just a dedication to Deena, this chapter is Deena, it is my hand reaching out to hers. As always, your kind words are much appreciated. :-)

Trée said...

I love this story in the sense that even thought I was thinking Trev would behave differently, as did I think most everyone else, and as I hinted in Rattling the Cage, the beauty is nothing is for certain till it is written and I surprise myself most of all with each twist and turn. :-D

Cha Cha said...

I've never heard this dude before.

Cool song.

Ever so slightly reminiscent of a cross between Jeff Buckley and the Boss.

Slightly rockin' and terribly tender.

Trée said...

Strumper, that's a good summation of his style. I think Em liked it. :-D

x said...

Great Picture! Greetings ...

Trée said...

Thanks Max.