Sunday, November 05, 2006

189. Moments

Journal Entry: 02:327:005 M24: (Kyra)

There are moments that only make sense in hindsight, moments that appear within the flow of the present and as quickly as they appear, take leave. There are also moments, for whatever reason, that alter the fabric of our lives unlike all the moments that came before. How and why, I do not understand nor do I feel I can claim to have orchestrated the moment or the change. I sit here now, in the peace and quiet of my quarters, only the glow of my slate and a few distant stars illuminating my room, and I wonder again, exactly what happened.

Those few witnesses, the ones still living that is, who I suppose is only Von, would tell a different story. Von claims he knows what he saw, but the eyes often conspire with the mind to deceive. I won’t deny his record of events has a literal truth, but like the calm surface of an unknown lake, what lies beneath is often a different matter. To see and to be, two different matters I say. So, let him have his truth if it fulfills a need only he can feel. Who am I to deny him the satisfaction of his view? For all I know, truth may lie more with his view than my own. Either way, his story or mine, at the end, just two stories, neither but a reflection of the myriad mirrors of our minds, distorted by time and distance, by desire and agenda, by past and future.

From the night they came in ones and twos; from east and west and north--of that there is no doubt. I glanced at Von, the last act of pure intent that I recall. I have never seen eyes communicate so much in just a look, but I knew he was spent and I knew that all that Papa had ever taught, all that he had ever cultivated in me, all that he had ever dreamed and hoped, that now was the harvest. Papa had sown. I would reap. What value the market would bear would be known to all, or I should say to Von and I, in a matter of moments. I still wonder at that thought. Years of preparation for the test of a single moment, life in the balance; yet, to say otherwise would contradict all that is agreed. Note to self: explore this idea of “moments” when time permits.

I remember standing as if in a dream. I could see and feel myself move, fluidly, and I suppose effortlessly, since I recall no more effort than a thought, as if, again, I had entered an altered state. To say I moved by willful intent, I cannot say. To say the night became darker than dark is recorded and I will not dispute the record. But let it be written here, from the corners of my eyes, arching upward and over my sight like a rainbow, I can honestly say I saw nothing other than a kaleidoscope of light.

But to say I saw is not accurate. My eyes were closed as surely as in a dream, so says Von and I concur. Upon this much we agree. The thin membrane of my eyelids, however, did not prevent me from seeing as I have never seen before. All before me became clear and when I say all, I mean all as surely as if I had eyes on the back of my head. I saw in the way of higher mind and not with the waves of physics. If I could be clearer I would, but I don’t know the words to describe an all-knowing sight that sees without seeing. This is not a metaphor. I know this sight and it is both of this world yet not of this world. Sight as Papa used to speak of, of which I never understood. Sight as Kieran has shown me on more than one occasion. I do not expect anyone reading this to understand without direct experience, as I did not understand, no matter how elegantly Papa tried to explain it, until I too bathe in the natural light unobstructed with the filters of language and image.

I felt my arms rise. Even now I do not recall intentionally raising them. But rise they did to the height of my shoulders and with my cape I cast a shadow over Von, which I know he won’t admit, but I knew he welcomed the cloak of my temperate shadow that gave comfort in the cold misty night. For the third time in my life I felt a warmth radiate from the center of my being, a warmth I’m reluctant to mention since I have no way of describing the feeling to anyone other than Papa or Kieran and neither of them are here to share in mutual understanding but I will say this: the warmth has a sound as much as a feel. What that sound is, I cannot say but there is a rhythm, a faintly familiar rhythm that if you felt it you would recognize it, you would want to float and swim and play as babies do in mothers arms in that sound without sound. Even now, I hear the silent echo of that warmth, and I wonder if I am touching it now or simply touching a memory and then too, close your ears Papa, I wonder if there is a difference.

I would like to say this warmth, this feeling, this rhythm is all good and wonderful but to say such would be to limit and in so limiting to perpetuate falsehood. To say the warmth was welcomed, of that I have mixed emotions. Without that warmth, I do not believe either I or Von would be here today. But the warmth is not of this world, although I know Papa would disagree with me. Yet, my memories of the iso ward, of Kieran, of the table where we sat and his hands extended to hold mine and the cuts and wounds that were healed in that instant tell me otherwise. But, as Von says, I am of this world, and I did manifest that warmth as no one else is able and therefore to say it is something other is not entirely true either. To say I don’t know is perhaps the greatest truth I can share.

So where does that put me? Am I a conduit between two worlds? Are my visions of Kieran and his continued presence in my life, of which I have told no one except for the one brief conversation with Mairi, are these visions real? Or am I losing my mind? Delusions of the mind trying to protect itself from further hurt? No one has asked me, but if they were, I could not say I have yet fully recovered from the coma. It is never far from my mind and the dreams or nightmares, well, they have remained a private matter that time and events have not allowed me to examine or exercise as the case may be. I had many experiences, of the mind or the spirit I cannot say, while I laid those many days. I have also not told anyone that while my physical self lay in stasis, my non-physical self, and I’ll leave it at that, was not. I saw and heard every conversation that happened and although I had and still have many reservations about this, I am forever grateful for the sincere love and concern the entire crew showed for my well being.

But, I’m getting ahead of myself. These creatures from the dark, too numerous to count, dissolved into the light before my eyes; from certain death to an eerie quiet was but an instant. How? I don’t know. Where did they go? Don’t know that either. I opened my eyes and felt the light recede and I looked at Von and his eyes looked bigger than I had ever seen them. I reached down with my right hand and extended it to him and grasping my hand, he stood. He had the oddest look on his face and seemed unable to stop staring at me until a light broke the spell.

At this moment, we noticed a twirling light emerge from the rear of the compound and we knew. She was gone again, our disappointment tempered by pure exhaustion. Still, we entered the compound and searched like a bride looking for the diamond that had slipped from her engagement ring. With each empty room our anxiousness increased and what we knew to be true exerted itself beyond our ability to deny it. Our diamond would not be found here.

Then the call came. I still remember the voice. Not Trev’s but the second one.. He said his name was John, John Discovery, and he was here to help. Speaking of which, John is on his way to my quarters in a few minutes so I’ll end here for tonight’s entry.

Kyra turned the slate off and the soft green light slowly faded. She placed her slate on the top of her desk and walked over to the picture window that formed her forward wall and gazed down at the planet below. Mairi was still down there somewhere. They would find her and John would help.

Categories: Story, Kyra

29 comments:

Dzeni said...

Wow! Another amazing entry. This is one of the best yet. I wonder where Mairi got to? Can't wait to find out.

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. I have (had) an image to go with this chapter but try as I might, blogger is not letting me upload pictures. If this is still the case by the time I have the next chapter ready, this will be only the second chapter of 189 that did not have an image to go with it. As always, thanks for the very kind words. :-)

Trée said...

Meg, thanks for the feedback. I never quite know how any one chapter will be received so feedback is always a very good thing. So glad to hear you liked this one. We may be seeing more journal entry type chapters, esp after Kyra gets around to that package Papa gave her on the dock. :-)

I'm in the process of compiling all the chapters into a single word document. Why I didn't think to do this sooner I'll never know but the process is tedious to say the least. I started by keeping the photos in the word doc then I realized the final file would be monster sized, so I'm back to just the words.

As always, thanks for your kind words.

Oliviah said...

Oh, this was so nice. I just read your comment, that you are putting all of the chapters in a Word document. I am so excited! Does that mean we might be able to read it from start to finish one day in one "book" type form? I'm with meg on the "greedy" thing...I find myself thinking the same thing: "Write more, more, more!!" I love this! What an addicting story this has been.

Trée said...

Oliviah, I do hope to compile the whole story, from the beginning, in a single document. I, myself, have not read the thing from beginning to end and I would much like to get a feel for the story as a whole and also to be able to offer to those new to the story, a way to get up to speed. Besides, I like the feel of paper in my hand and I'd like to read the story with black text on white paper.

As always, I do very much appreciate your feedback and your kind words. I'm never quite sure how many are actually reading the story, so comments like these are very heartening to me and fill me with energy to continue.

Thank you my Beautiful Soul. :-)

tsduff said...

Hey -
Finally got a chance to sit and quietly immerse myself in Kyra. The sense of urgency is renewed - I want to turn the page and read on.

Keshi said...

AMAZING!

Im very close to the bridge now ;-)
Keshi.

Trée said...

Thanks Terry for those kind words. :-)

Trée said...

Keshi, what took you so long? :-D

ChickyBabe said...

I got the impression while reading this entry that Kyra had a blog, and a fine one at that.

Trée said...

Chicky, sometimes I think this is her blog. :-)

Oliviah said...

I peeked in an looked at that flame and thought, Wow!!! So funny, I guess when I looked in here last time, I was so eager for the story I didn't "see" that flame. It's so pretty. I hope you are having a very good night

Keshi said...

mebbe my lazy legs :)

hey I really really love this pic! Where d u get em from?

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

I've been away for what feels like so long and I come back to such a treat! This is also one of my favourites. What a voice you've given to Kyra, she's got such depth (all your characters do and that's what makes this story so wonderful, well that and the masterful imagery and language and the pictures and the excitement and imagination...) I love the journal entries as well though I think in the end I'm an action fan and my vote goes to the last post for sheer cool :)

Thanks again Trée!

Trée said...

Keshi, I create all the images you see with the story on my computer using many different programs. Thanks for those sweet words. :-)

Trée said...

Oliviah, I was having problems posting pics when I originally posted this chapter so when you first saw it, there was no image. A couple days later I was able to get it to work--so, no worries, you didn't miss it the first time. :-)

Trée said...

Bean, I'm literally running to the airport to get back home so this reply is brief. So good to see you back, so nice to read your kind words. As always, very, very much appreciated. :-)

Karen said...

This got to me on many levels, I felt her emotions. This is one of the best chapters yet, I like getting in Kyra's head like that.

I hope you and Jack are having a good week! *HUGS*

Autumn Storm said...

One thing this story has taught me besides patience is that I do not have the vocabulary to do it justice in a comment. The image first, my mind says wow, it says amazing, it says all those things that are under those couple of categories in a thesauraus that basically would tell you that this is one very special image. I love the changes, the circle in the middle, a hollow circle no less, feathery textures, planes to the south and the content of the chapter makes me think fabric of the mind and I could dream myself away in thoughts of what those very different textures and colours might represent. Wow and amazing. :-D
That was the image, and well, I hardly know how to form a beginning, a middle and an end to a comment. Kyra. From the beginning she has come across as what she is, a very special being, with many depths, that slowly but surely you have been introducing us to. I love the language of this journal entry, the way she expresses herself, the way her mind works questioning, open to possibility, knowing that nothing is certain, that every reality is different and that 'everything filtered through the mind becomes a work of fiction' (Truman Capote) to some extent or another, and that (and I simply fell in love with this phrase)eyes often conspire with the mind to deceive. Such wonderful depth to your character, Poppet, she's fully three-dimensional and much more so even than most. :)
That whole first paragraph, well, the whole post, but that one especially, I do so love. Words to float away on, questioning in part but gently so, softly, nicely, a dream of a passage is what that is.

Jenni said it was one of your best, I completely agree. Abso*lutely, to say the very least.

Love and hugs to you, Mr Talented, missing you a whole big bunch, x

TotalChaos said...

The fractals have been outstanding. I've got a block on doing them right now. The story, I will have to get caught up on. Kinda got behind. Keep it up.

Trée said...

Thanks DJB.

Trée said...

Been missing you too Sunshine, like a pea missing his pod. Get yourself settled and get that connection, or else. Don't asked me what "or else" means but I think G Pop might. :-D

As always I have no idea how to respond to such a wonderful comment. You touch my soul in places pristine and when I look back, I see just the one set of footprints and I marvel at far you have walked to get someplace no one else has ventured to reach. Look for me over to the right. I'm sitting on that large rock watching the Sun finish the day with a soft orange kiss on the shimmering violet horizon. Come join me in the warm natural light. :-)

On the plane I wrote the next chapter. I've got 14 pages of chapter I need to make some sense of and believe it or not, I'm stuck on the opening sentence, which, no matter how many words, the first sentence is always the hardest. This one is a Kleenex moment with a bit of mystery mixed in; and that is all you are going to get out of me--unless you tickle me. :-D

Keshi said...

WOW ur an artist too!

Keshi.

Trée said...

Keshi, where have you been for the last year? ROTFLMAO :-D

I still luv you babe. ;-)

Mean it. Let's do lunch.

Autumn Storm said...

I scrolled down the next chapter to reach this comments box first, and was so excited by what I saw - those two mirroring fractals (loved at the time) framing a fabulously long chapter, can hardly wait to start reading!

You wrote me the nicest response here and all I wanna do is join you on that rock before the view that you so beautifully describe and hug you to me for the duration of it's descent. :-)

Take good care of you on your travels. Love and hugs, x

Trée said...

Me and you and the rock. What more do we need? :-)

Autumn Storm said...

Nada. :-D

Trée said...

:-)

Autumn Storm said...

Suggestion #2, for darn sure!