Saturday, November 25, 2006

199. Like Magic

"Mairi, I'm going to place our beautiful little friend around your neck," said Dr. X. "Won't hurt as long as you don't resist. Relax your mind. Think pleasant thoughts."

Mairi closed her eyes and the ampulator settled in place. The organism felt its way along her neck, each orifice of its inner ring sluggishly seeking an air tight suction. Mairi started to choke. "Relax my dear. The amp is trying to determine if you are friend or foe. If friend, then you are going to be privileged to some rather special sensations in a few minutes. If foe, then you and I will go down together. Now relax."

"Can you please tell me what vile purpose this exercise suits?"

"My apologies, of course. You my dear, are a null, a blank, or as some might say, an untouchable. In a telepathic world, you are the great eraser, the anti-gravity, the void. No one near you can communicate nor can anyone use their telepathic powers on you. Most important, you black out all telepathic signals. Your mere presence is the great off switch. With you, we are all but invisible to the outside world, but there is one little problem. Your power is not quite strong enough to blank us out from Kulmyk probes, which are a little too close for comfort right now. Our little squishy friend, however, is going to fix that. Once he forms full suction, and of course sees you as a friend, his natural genetic conflux will take your nullness and amplify it. If it works, we will drop off the radar of those probes like magic. And my guess, they'll never know what happened."

As the creature tightened its grip on her neck, Mairi tried not to squirm managing to eek just a single word through her clenched teeth. "If?"

"Well, as you know, we've never had a null before, so I suppose you could say this is where theory crosses the road of actuality. Now relax, I'm fairly certain this is going to work."



"TEAM KILO REPORTING in. Over. Do you read?"

"Loud and clear," replied Tom. " What seems to be the problem."

"Hard to explain sir. One minute we were locked on their location and then the next, they just disappeared."

Categories: Story, Mairi, Dr. X

18 comments:

Phusion said...

I think I've seen that image while on acid.. cool stuff :)

Trée said...

Thanks Phusion. I think Mairi wishes she was on acid right now. :-D

ChickyBabe said...

Wow Tree! I feel like all eyes are on e, and I'm choking a little...

Trée said...

Chicky, always good to see you stopping by. I've got some eyes for ya. Do you have the black Vicky Secret? :-D

Karen said...

OK, so this is cool and freaky at the same time. I liked the first part where Dr. X said it would determine whether she was friend of foe; imagining how great it would be to have that in our lives. But - the disappearing is even cooler; can I borrow that for a week?

Great chapter, I like the imagination.

I hope you and Jack had a great Thanksgiving and are enjoying your weekend. *HUGS & KISSES* to you both!

Autumn Storm said...

Phew, finally there is word on Mairi and she seems to be holding her own, inspite of circumstances. Tough cookie. Like the rest of the gals.
As Karen said, you have such a wonderful imagination, it really is something, overall naturally but it comes out to play so vividly even in this relatively short chapter. I don't know how you keep doing it, but you do, and for a whole year now. It's an amazing feat, and I'm so glad I've been able to follow from day one, and been treated again and again to such wonderfully creative writing in the form of such a mesmerising story. You know, the only other time this has happened to me (been so involved over a prolonged amount of time and so into the characters) was 'Dallas'.
I love Rog and the gang so much more though than I ever did Bobby Ewing. :-D

Great new look!

Happy Sunday, Poppet, and happy 1st. See you here same time next year. :-)
XO

Trée said...

Karen, Jack and I had our hands full this Thanksgiving and we were both literally busting from our good fortune. Thanks for asking. ;-)

As always, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the sweet kind words. I wish I knew where this imagination came from. Of course, Jack isn't complaining. :-D

Trée said...

Oh my dear Sunshine, what can I say. No one else has commented on every single chapter of the story. But more than that, your comments have been so engaged and insightful and encouraging. That you have been there every step of the way amazes me. To follow a story for an entire year, and to do so as closely as you have--well, I'm just very, very thankful that our paths have crossed. As Papa might say, you are a special one my dear. :-)

Karen said...

Jack is easily pleased ;-) now if I could lend a hand to help. *snicker*

I am thankful for you sharing your talent with us, it helps broaden my horizons and stretch my imagination.

Trée said...

Karen, doesn't take much to please Jack. He is a hombre of simple needs who is always ready to rise to the occasion and shower affection on a new friend. He is a energetic little guy and loves lots of warm and firm attention so get your mind, or hand, right. :-D

As for sharing, well, hording is just over-rated. :-)

Karen said...

*snicker* I will certainly get my mind straight to help Jack rise to the occasion; the best things in life are hard and well worth the effort. ;-)

Trée said...

You know, I like your attitude. :-)

Jack won't make you work too hard. He says he'll handle that part of the equation. Watch out though. He does aim to please. :-D

Karen said...

I'm sure Jack will do the hard part but I'd like to give him a hand because I too, aim to please ;-)

Trée said...

Ooooh, now you have Jack all excited. Shame you can't see what you've done, or better yet, get to work retifying the situation. :-D

Oh my, now even Jack is blushing. ;-)

Dzeni said...

Wow. Amazing chapters. I have been "away" in that bloglines was not telling me that your blog had been updated (it seems to be fixed now). Have just read through the last five or so chapters and am still trying to recover. So much power in so little time. Great graphics too. It looks like you have been playing with "Bryce" again. Really awesome stuff.

Trée said...

Hey Jenni. Good to see you again. This image was done with Xenodream, a wonderfully unique program I haven't played with in some time.

As for the story, I can only imagine your surprise when you realized there were several long chapters and some pretty intense stuff going on in the story.

As always, thanks for the very kind words. :-)

Stargazer said...

Trée, this is such a COOL image!

Trée said...

Thanks Deb. Xenodream is such a great program. Really not sure why I don't use it more. Mmm, might need to change that. :-)