Thursday, November 16, 2006

192. I Know


T: Rog, thanks for granting us this interview. Kyra will be along in just a bit but I think we can get started.

R: No problem. Let’s do it.

T: If you would, start from your time in hospital.

R: Sure. My recovery proceeded much faster than anyone expected; and, I was able to convince John to release me a day early without telling anyone. I wanted to surprise Yul. They had flowers, which may seem like a strange thing to say, but in space, you don’t exactly come across them everyday and we hadn’t for some time. Yul loved flowers so I knew I had the perfect makings for a wonderful surprise.

T: Did you know at this time why Yul had acted so strange when she first came to visit you?

R: No frailing clue. I felt like such a blockhead because all the signals were there—that something was wrong—but I was so self-absorbed in my own good fortune I didn’t see it. I suppose Kyra is right. We do see the universe as if we were dead center and everything else revolves around us. Not exactly the best prescription for building a relationship is it.

T: I suppose not. So you got out a day early and no one knew.

R: Yep.

T: And you had flowers.

R: Yeah, I did. Very exotic. John said Cait grew them in their garden and that they were sure to make the impression I was after. I knew Yul was going to love’em. I was determined that whatever was bothering her I was going to fix, or, as I used to think, use my force of will to wash away. Much power in a smile, but sometimes . . .

T: Sometimes? Please continue.

R: Sometimes you need just a little more. And sometimes [Rog looked down], sometimes you just need a little luck. Hindsight, well, I’m getting ahead of myself.

T: So you were released early. What happened next?

R: I walked, no, actually I ran to my quarters, jumped in the shower and tried my best to scrub that hospital smell from my hide. You know, the one that reeks of stale linens and that strange metallic scent. So I scrub my skin red, jump out of the shower and as I’m standing in front of the mirror drying my hair I’ll be damned if that smell isn’t still there. No can do. Believe me, there would be no babies if we all smelled like that and besides, the last thing I wanted to remind Yul of was that moment in the room.

T: So, how did you get rid of it?

R: Look, if you are going to interrupt me every time I get started on this story, I’d just as soon stop now.

T: Sorry, please continue.

R: First time I met Yul I had used some homemade goat’s milk soap in the shower that morning—very strong scent that tends to stay with you all day. She loved it. Said it was pure Rog. Down-to-hyneria, strong and pure with a touch of raw integrity, whatever that meant, but she just loved the smell. I didn’t normally use it since it can overpower all other smells, not a good thing in tight quarters; believe me, in space, a strong smell can get old real fast. Besides, I didn’t want to interfere with the flowers, but, as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures. So, I jumped back into the shower.

T: I take it, it worked?

R: [Rog laughed] Yeah, it worked. Couldn’t smell the flowers anymore but what the hell, I was after bigger fish if you know what I mean. And failure, as they say, was not an option. Had a lot of confidence at that time in my life. Ignorance breeds it—or stupidity—take your choice. You know how they say everything happens for a reason?

T: Yes.

R: Well, drum that idea out of your head. Sometimes shiott happens and there ain’t no reason. And there ain’t nothing you can do about it either. That whole universe thing again. Truth doesn’t bargain nor suffer fools-kinda like Yul I suppose. My nut was a little tougher to crack. Dad always said I preferred the hard way. Can’t say he was wrong, although at the time I would have lived up to his argument.

T: Not sure I follow that last bit?

R: Maybe a couple shots of snoot will clear your head. Hey [Rog motions to my assistant], bring us some snoot or whatever you call that stuff. We’ll sort you out. Anyway, this is what you don’t know. The whole time I’m pimping in front of my mirror, Yul was sitting in front of hers too. You got that Jack? Ask Kyra about the difference a few seconds can make. Frailing vanity. Cost me a few minutes. Not much of a trade but then again hindsight is a cheap beotch turning her last trick of the night. How was I to know?

T: [Puzzled look]

R: Not your fault. I’m getting ahead of myself. All these memories exist for me as one thing, a single event, and I don’t normally separate them out into chronological order. So here we are, me getting ready for my surprise visit while at the same time Yul is sitting in front of her mirror. She is getting ready too. Of course, I had no idea.

T: Okay.

R: So I sneak down the hall and let myself into her quarters. Of course, I had the code for silent entry. Her quarters were dark, which at the time I thought was a little odd, but again, I wasn’t really thinking about anything other than my own agenda; was feeling quite proud of myself actually. I called out her name. No answer. I knew she was there—in her quarters that is. I saw a dim pale blue light coming from her private quarters, so I tip toed toward the bedroom. The light was coming from her bathroom. With the flowers held behind my back and the biggest grin I could muster I poked my head around the corner.

[Assistant shows up with snoot] Care to join me?

T: No thanks.

R: Suit yourself. [Rog knocks back his shot and mine and tells assistant to bring more] I wouldn’t normally drink during an interview but I think you’ll understand in a minute. Have you ever had a moment when you felt her heart was going to knock itself right through your chest and onto the floor?

T: Well . . .

R: Hold that thought. When I poked my head into the bathroom Yul was lying on the floor, a dark blue liquid dripped from the corner of her mouth and had formed a puddle on the floor around her cheek, which caught the flicker of the candles she had burning on the vanity. That dance of light was the only thing moving. [Rog stopped, starring straight at me]

A: Kyra has arrived. Should I bring her in?

T: [I looked at Rog] He nodded.

K: I hope I’m not interrupting.

R: Not at all. Your timing is right on, again. I was telling our friend I had just walked into the bathroom and found Yul on the floor.

K: I see. Please continue.

R: At that time in my life, I felt I had experienced quite a bit. When I saw Yul, unconscious, cold, on the floor, my knees buckled at the hands of fate and I knew—I knew in that instant, in a flash and I can’t emphasis that enough, the moment was quicker than the snap of my fingers, I knew that I knew nothing and I knew that my whole world, everything I thought I held dear, trusted was so, was slipping away. Hard to explain the moment, the feeling, the sensation. Your eyes see and your mind thinks but there is a disconnect between the two. All that you stand upon gives way and the emotional fall knows no bottom; and so you fall into the pitch of darkness for what seems like eternity. Part of you just wants to hit bottom and end the nightmare. But there is another part, arms wailing, that wants to grab hold of some imaginary branch. Your heart feels like it is in your ears, your stomach in your throat while your mouth lips words--but no sound comes out.

K: Was this the moment you commed me?

R: No, not yet. In what seemed like a lifetime but must have only been seconds I dropped the flowers, fell to my knees and immediately grabbed her head—my Janus, I had held her head a thousand times and it had never felt this leaden. The conversation is still as blurry in my mind as her face was in my tear streaked eyes and I wasn’t sure how much was directed toward Yul and how much toward Janus. She had no pulse. Her eyes were open, wet; and they seemed to be staring directly at me, kinda like one of those painting that no matter where you stand in the room the eyes always seem to be looking right at you. They looked like doll eyes, glassy and all I can remember is violently shaking my head back and forth.

My Janus, those eyes. Do you know what it is like to see those eyes, those eyes you have seen so many times, those eyes that animate your every waking moment, those eyes that have brought pleasure and delight in the sparkle of midnight stars. Do you know? Can you imagine seeing those eyes staring back at you now—lifeless, begging? They seem to say, where were you? Where were you when I needed you? And all you can think is what a frailing stupid idiot you were pimping in front of the mirror because that is where you were.

T: With all due respect, seems a little harsh to view your actions that way.

R: [Rog smiled] I had dropped the flowers on the floor when I saw her. After all the begging and pleading and swearing I pulled her limp head into my chest and cried for I don’t know how long. I think the goat’s milk scent interfered with my ability to smell, but when I pulled her head to mine and that viscous blue liquid rubbed against my skin, the burning sensation told me what I needed to know. And then I saw the vial, broken as my soul, upon that stone cold floor. That is when I commed K.

T: [Turning to Kyra] Where were you when the call came?

K: I was in my quarters standing in front of the window looking down at the planet and wondering how I had let John talk me out of accompanying his search and rescue team. Preoccupied, in my own world one could say. I knew I would only get in the way of their teams and that John was right, still, I felt I owned it to Mairi to be there when they found her. So, I was having a pity party and my mind was filled with the self-doubt that only the ego can manipulate.

T: What did Rog say when he commed?

K: He said, It’s Yul, it’s Yul. Please Janus, It’s Yul. What have you done baby. My Janus, what have you done? I commed that I was on my way. When I walked into that bathroom he had Yul’s limp body pulled tightly to his and the two of them were smeared in what appeared to be a purplish blue liquid. I knew instinctively the situation. Not good.

R: I don’t remember K arriving. One moment I was pulling Yul to me as if I could squeeze the poison from her pores if I just held her tight enough and then the next moment I felt K telling me to let go.

K: Actually, I told you to let go of her hands and to hold her head in your chest as if her very life depended on hearing the beat of your heart and to think of nothing else. Oh, and I think I told you to keep your mouth shut too if I recall correctly. You were mumbling like a baby.

R: Really?

K: Yes. Now, as I said before, shut up. I think he wants to hear the story from one who was there. [Kyra winked at Rog and Rog signaled for more snoot]

T: Kyra, the floor is all yours.

K: I held both of Yul’s hands in mine with my chest pressed up against Rog’s back as he held her head in his chest. All three of us are still on the floor. I closed my eyes and focused my heart. My mind filled with white light and I saw Yul and then Kieran. Yul spoke first and this is what happened:

[Yul]: I see the light. I feel the light. And you want me to go back to darkness? (laughter) Get the frail out of here.

[Kyra]: The light will be here—when it is your time.

[Yul]: And who are you to tell me when my time is?

[Kyra]: I have something to show you. (I showed her the scene back in the bathroom with Rog holding her head tightly to his chest, his eyelids shut so tight they appeared to be squeezing out the tears that were raining down upon her beautiful mane.) Our life is not ours alone. The way to light is love. This room is not the room, but rather an antechamber, a waypoint so to speak, the nexus between this world and the next one. If you decide to stay, I cannot promise that when we leave you will remain in light. Look again at the scene below and ask yourself: Did you bring love here with you or is that love crying out for you right now? Look Yul. Look at those hands holding your head so tightly to his chest. Can you hear the beat of his heart? Can you feel the energy of his love? Can you see the light in his soul shinning out for you? Look again. Tell me what you see?

[Kieran] Time is running short. You must decide. We cannot hold this chamber open much longer.

[Yul]: (She looked again. Kyra’s eyes were closed and her entire body seemed to be trembling with a slight glow, her hands locked on hers. Rog held her head and sobbed) I don’t know. I don’t know if I can go back to what is there. You don’t know everything.

[Kyra]: True, but I do know love and I know there are no guarantees on when or if you will ever find it. But I will say this, when you do find it, run, run like the wind and embrace it like Rog is embracing you right now. If you can’t see that, if you can’t feel the merging of his soul into yours, then I say try harder. Yul, listen to me. I can’t stay here much longer. I’m your ticket back. Come with me. Come with me now.

[Kieran]: Ask yourself where love is. If you believe you have it here, then stay. But if love is back in that room, then go to it. That is where you belong. Either way, you must decide now.

R: All I know is when she released the contents of her belly and that blue slime spewed all over me I thought I had squeezed the life out of her. And then she coughed and threw up some more and I could feel a pulse and her eyes blinked and looked at me in a way I don’t think I had ever seen before. All I could say was that I loved her and that is when she spoke these words: “I know.”

T: [Period of silence] Kyra, you said there was a note.

K: Yes, we found a note. She never asked about it and so we suspected she didn’t remember writing it.

T: Can you share what was in the note?

K: Perhaps another time. It doesn’t really fit with this part of the story.


Categories: Story, Rog, Yul, Kyra, Kieran, Earth, Interview

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

Usually by the time i catch up with your blog atleast half a dozen comments would be there

So today am in for a surprise!!
that apart, i enjoy all the commentary that goes here, if i may say so?

and ofcourse you do make lots of wonderful stuff with Apophysis
:)

(*_*)

a regular anon

ChickyBabe said...

Stunning colours! I don't know what they remind me of, something ghostly maybe...

Autumn Storm said...

Well, you made me want to swear, another sure sign. OH MY GOSH, ohmygosh, ohmygosh!! My breathing was ragged all though that, kept holding it as I read through the next part, and in all honesty, I'm shaking.
It may be my imagination, but I saw more of you in this chapter than almost any other so far, I'll not elaborate too much on that other than to say somehow someway, you must have touched upon something deep inside to be able to write this chapter in this way. It was amazing to read.
Two parts and so much I want to say and once again, how I wish I had more time, time to formulate properly and as is happening each time I come here almost, the moment I am on route home, or have just arrived, I'll remember something that I wanted to say and that slipped my mind in the midst of it at the time.
And again, really, I wish I could read it a couple more times before starting.
Before I forget, I had to smile wide at 'down-to-Hyneria' :-D, excellent play on.
I hardly know where to start, I love, love, LOVE this chapter, start to finish. As with the other chapters in this format, the interview is such a great method to tell us what happened - again, I just cannot imagine that it could have been done any better, though really, when it comes to your skills as the writer of this magnificient story, the smart money is on your having done just as great a job however you had chosen to present it.
There are so many parts, aspects of it, that I would want to highlight. Timing is one, perfectly executed between the three parts, before entering Yul's room, Rog by himself and then the part that includes Kyra.
I haven't even begun to think about Yul yet and what her thoughts would have been, that'll have to come later. I'm intrigued by this letter that you mention, but somehow I'm kinda hoping that it doesn't show in a post, at least not for a longer while, with more of the now in between. Disregard that though, it's just my thought here and now.
You did such a wonderful job with Rog in this chapter, still trying to work out how to start formulating the great impressions that this chapter evoked, to start and most importantly, was how very real it was. I don't know, I haven't been in that situation, but in my heart or my imagination or whatever it is that is telling me it is so, his actions, his reactions and his thoughts surrounding what happened then now, I keep using the same terms, but it's just so very vivid, so very real, so very true (seems that way at least) - had I more time, I'd give you proper thoughts as to why.
There are certain parts in this chapter that just took my breath away, as said up top :-D, singular statements more often than not that just hit deep. Some of them, many of them, were in the part where Kyra spoke to Yul - when that part first began, it took me a moment or two to believe that what was happening was really happening - you had taken us that far down the road to Rog's utter heartbreak, there didn't seem to be any way back. Though I knew what Kyra is capable of, the impact of that moment was as great as had we not had a clue.
Ask yourself where love is.
I could write til the cows come home on what I thought about this moment within the whole story.
Other parts that stand out was the part about Yul's eyes, in Rog's words, of having looked in them so many times, seen life within and having them stare back at him lifeless.
Time, and the difference moments can make. The guilt, the whole universe revolving around 'us' - these parts were deep-hitting, cow homecoming sections of this chapter too.
Fan*tastic piece of writing, pure and simple. Thanks. :-)

Happy Friday, poppet, xo

Trée said...

Anon, congrats on your first first comment. :-)

Thanks for the kind words on the image. I'd like to think there are three reasons to come to my blog: story, images and comments. :-D

Stay tuned. I hope this chapter brings forth some interesting comments.

Trée said...

Chicky, I think you've touched the essence of this image, which is something mysterious, something other-worldly and something very, very dangerous. As always, thanks for the very kind words.

Trée said...

Sunshine, I had no idea you would like this chapter so much. I think I smiled through your entire comment. I think I now know how you feel in that I have no idea where to start in a reply.

As to myself being in this chapter, I think my first reaction is to say I'm in all the chapters, if you know where to look. Having said that, however, there are many parts of this chapter that I relate to very much and I imagine me and Rog could sit down at the bar and have much to discuss with lots of nodding of heads back and forth.

The note, which I had started to write but didn't quite feel it was saying what I wanted Yul to say, and say it in the language I wanted, was going to be this chapter--that is, I was going to have the note the only thing Rog found and the note was going to be a bit mysterious in both the language and metaphors that she choose, but also in that there are parts of the note that are either ambiguous or cannot be read because her tears have fallen on the paper and blurred some words and passages beyond recognition. The note will tell us things about Yul, things that happened on Hyneria, things we don't know about her yet that educate us on her motivation, right or wrong, to take her life at this point in time. Her terminal illness is part of the equation, but that news is fueled by her past and the note will allude to such. We may see the note sooner or it might be much later, really depends on when I feel I can write it in the way I want to write it. As you might imagine, to write a chapter, you have to go into the character and see and hear and feel what they are experiencing. Sometimes this is easy and sometimes close to impossible (ie., the "rape" scene with Mairi and Goldenhair put me on very, very thin ice). The note that Yul writes has two components with regard to writing: (1) actual content; and (2), the ability to go inside to that place that inspires the emotional and psychological side of the note--and that is the very difficult part. I have walked in her shoes, which is why this chapter exists, but it has been a very long time ago and it is a place I care not to visit, but like all places we have been, they remain, however small, a part of who we are, permanent renters so to speak whether we like it or not.

Time for a second cup of coffee so I'll end this rambling comment here, for now. As always, your visits breathe life into me and into the story in ways I hardly know how to describe almost as if the writing takes everything out of me and your comments put everything back in.

Missing you like a baby misses his nooney.

Kay said...

Oh my gosh, hon, I loooove the image for this. It looks kind of like a Chihuly bowl. (Dale Chihuly)

Trée said...

Hey BBB! So glad you liked this image (I'll have to check Dale out). It has a certain dream-like feel to it, which is how I think of you--dreamy. :-)

tsduff said...

I had to sit here and gather myself for a few quiet moments before I could see through my blurry eyes enough to write. This story has taken on such different level. It doesn't feel like a fantasy any more. It seems real. The way you clearly describe each scene is flawless. When you related (as if you were standing there yourself) the part where he sees her and comprehends what he sees...I have never heard it better described. The physical feelings - as well as that mental anquish... and the utter loss of hope when he saw she had no pulse - and blank eyes... Oh it makes me ache with emotion.

I have walked in her shoes

This is why you write as you do. And you take us all along with you. I have no words for you. But if I did they would be divine.

Trée said...

Terry, to my eyes, your comment was divine. Thank you for that.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel great sadness inside of me. The feeling has been hanging around for a few weeks and I think the story reflects it. Where it is coming from, I don't know, but it is there and I've been unable to shake it. Actually, that is not true, for I have not tried to shake it. Strange as it may sound, I abide the flavor of sadness in equal measure to happiness. Please don't ask me to explain that last sentence, because I can't. The Sun will come again when the time is right; and I'll be here when it does.

Last night we had dinner with my aunt-in-law and her family. She has been fighting cancer for quite some time and it has returned. She came up from Florida to see everyone and there was a sense that this might, I hope not, but it might just be the last time we see her and her gorgeous bald head which carries in it the courage of ten women. I watched her say goodbye to her sister and her mom and dad and tears were passed around in equal measure. And you ask why and the silence is haunting.

Carol is only in her mid-fifties. I rarely see such a bright spirit and to see her dignity in the face of this disease makes me proud to know her and sad to see the hands of fate operating without bias. I wrote this chapter knowing we would see her at the dinner. I came home and rewrote a few sentences but for the most part the spirit of that dinner animates this chapter. I was going to put a dedication to her as a footnote but thought the better of it--right or wrong.

tsduff said...

I can feel your sadness. These times of last goodbyes seem to be more frequent both for me personally and in the lives of others lately. Tomorrow I drive down the coast to attend the burial-at-sea of my cousin. Last weekend when G and I were out and about we discussed driving the extra few hours to visit my cousin in San Luis Obispo. Why we didn't do it, I don't know. But if we had I would have seen my cousin one last time before he died. Like Rog primping in front of the mirror, not knowing his chance was gone. I am learning to take those moments - make those moments happen. Savor them and treasure them... those times we get face to face with loved ones. Your aunt sounds like a wonderful soul.

Trée said...

Terry, I feel like we are walking a similar path. I too have seen more death in the last two years then in the twenty that came before it.

Carol is a wonderful soul, no doubt in my mind and last night only sang to the choir of my belief. I was in Phoenix early this week and made a special trip back to be at dinner last night. She hugged me several times last night and told me with tears in her eyes how much it meant to her for me to change my plans and return home early just for her. Truth be known, returning to attend that dinner was as important to my soul, to my humanity. I'm not sure I could have done otherwise. In this life, most of all, we have each other; and I believe those relationships are held together (and the quality of our life defined) by the love that binds them together--or lack thereof.

tsduff said...

:-)

Trée said...

Meg, I am all for proper pampering, and if you have idle time on your hands, well, I'm all for keeping the devil from his workshop. Least I can do. :-D

Thanks for your very kind and endearing words. Much appreciated my friend. Have a great weekend Meg. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

Love and hugs to you, poppet.

Trée said...

And to you too Sweetest Sunshine. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

I'd agree, we can write only with conviction what we know (something close to what Terry said, i realize) and as such I've felt that I've seen you throughout the story, but there are some chapters that just reach deeper somehow and this was one of them, hence that part of my comment. :-)

Your words here surrounding what Yul's letter would consist of (inspired idea to have parts blurred in tears etc!) is an instantanuous overturning of that initial thought that I had, that it perhaps it should be kept private - I'm not even sure, why I felt that way, perhaps it would have been too much after having read this chapter..In any case, this part of your comment: The note will tell us things about Yul, things that happened on Hyneria, things we don't know about her yet that educate us on her motivation, right or wrong, to take her life at this point in time. Her terminal illness is part of the equation, but that news is fueled by her past and the note will allude to such. shows me that this letter would only add, that more will most likely be more in this case - and I know, with absolute certainty, that when you find the words, the place, Yul's letter will be a chapter we'll not soon forget.

Autumn Storm said...

:-) Hey you.

Trée said...

Hey You too! :-D

Trée said...

Steve, I might have to just break down and admit purple is my favorite color since it seems most of my fractals tend toward that vinaceous hue. Green is gonna be pissed but you can't bargain with the truth now can you? :-D

Karen said...

This chapter is one of your best, all the raw emotions spill out. The frac is incredible too, you're using my fav color; the color of passion.

*HUUGS* to you and Jack and apologies for being gone for a few days. I hate it when life gets in the way.

Trée said...

Thanks Karen. This was a difficult chapter to write from an emotional point of view. I had originally started this one from Yul's point of view, but I was unable to tap into the mind of one contemplating suicide, someone in the throes of despair. I came close, but not quite there so I shifted gears and approached the story from Rog and Kyra's point of view and with the distance of time as they recounted it.

Jack says hello. He missed you. :-)

Miladysa said...

I have my suspicions...