Saturday, July 29, 2006

133. Don't Ask

“Rog, what seems to be the problem,” asked Kyra, slightly out of breath from the run from Mairi’s quarters. Seems every damn time I try to have a conversation something happens.

“Snazzle junior is picking up unfriendlies heading our way. Might be a malfunction since they are moving faster than anything I’ve ever seen,” said Rog.

“They’re Kulmyk Vollmonds—long range interceptors. I’m impressed,” said Taren. “Apparently, they have not drawn a reading on us. How is that possible on such a primitive vessel as this?”

“Metalunans,” responded Kyra. “Long story, but they fixed and upgraded our ship. We still haven’t uncovered everything they did. More to the point, Rog, how long before they know we are here?”

“Hard to say,” said Rog.

“Ten minutes,” answered Taren.

“Options?” asked Kyra to no one in particular as her eyes did not leave Taren.

“Stay here and the Kulmyks will imprison your crew. Then, they will interrogate each and every one of you to find out who you are, why you are here and what you know about us. Their methods are brutal, unspeakable and ultimately effective. Once they have satisfied themselves that you know nothing, you will thank them for putting you out of your misery. They will, however, take special interest in Mairi. I would not want to be her in Kulmyk hands. That is option one.” Taren paused for effect, his own mind a cacophony of fear, fear from the minds of the crew.

“And option two?” asked Kyra.

“Dock this vessel in our landing bay and we slip away to an undisclosed location,” said Taren.

Kyra glanced at Von.

“You have eight minutes to detection,” said Taren. “ It will take seven minutes to dock and vacate. Do you want to live?”

“Make it so,” ordered Kyra.

Rog worked the controls. Taren’s ship was several times the size of Bravo-Four-Zero. The crew stood in wonder as the bay doors swallowed their tiny ship.

“Where are you taking us Taren?” asked Kyra.

“I like you Kyra. Please don’t ask me again.”

Categories: Story, Kyra, Rog, Taren

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm methinks I pick the most unopportune times to go out of town :0) sigh, oh well, I'll just have to wait until I get back to see what happens :0)

excellent as always :0)

Trée said...

Thanks Trace.

Anonymous said...

Oh... This is just fantastic! I love how you have written this part. Just a perfect mix of mystery and suspense. Reading it is sheer bliss.

Trée said...

Jenni, such praise has brought a permanent smile to my face this morning. I think my cheeks are going to be sore tomorrow. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! On the edge of my seat. Cannot wait to see where this goes. The suspense!!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh! Shouldn't really be surprised, and I'm not really, these days I'm not amazed by how great these chapters are, its more that you manage to do it each and every time - there's no faltering, ever!
Loving your use of language to set the tone and atmoshere as always. Symmetry. Perfection.
Another in the bag :-)

Trée said...

Oliviah, think purple rain. That's assuming I can figure out how to draw and paint the image I have in my mind, which at this stage is a very big if. :-D

If not, we go in a different direction. I'm still amazed at how the image is still moving the story. Where else can you find that. :-D

Trée said...

Hey you! :-D

What a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting to see you online today so imagine my surprise when I came in from a ride and saw you on my sidebar with two jewel-like comments. All is well with my world again--until the next post that is. :-D

Keeping you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers. As always, sweetest, your comments mean the world to me. Thanks so much for those kind words.

Anonymous said...

Yet I wanna ask..:) r u at the billabong?

Keshi.

Trée said...

Depends. r u? :-D

Billabong is an Australian English word used to refer to an oxbow lake, a stagnant pool of water attached to a waterway. Billabongs are usually formed when the path of a stream or river changes, leaving the former branch with a dead end. The word is derived from two Indigenous Australian words: "billa" meaning "creek" and "bong" meaning "dead".

Billabongs appear relatively often in Australian literature. One of the most well-known references is in the opening line of Banjo Paterson's famous poem "Waltzing Matilda".

The name Billabong has been adopted as the brand name for a popular brand of Australian surfing wear sold around the world by Billabong International.

Billabong is also the name given to a chocolate ice cream on a stick, similar to Paddle Pop or Fudgsicle, manufactured by the Peter's company in Perth, Western Australia.

Anonymous said...

hiya bbb. :) happy monday!

Trée said...

Same to you my sweet bbb! And I'll throw in a happy Tuesday as well. :-D

Anonymous said...

sigh~

Can't you just save up and print out the whole thing so we don't have to wait? These chapters are like munchies - one whiff and they're gone. I'm always hungry!

Anonymous said...

Tre wonderful info abt the billabongs there :) So u know it hehehe...

so can we forget abt dance-floor etiquette for a while now ;-)

Keshi.

Trée said...

Terry :-)

I've tried to keep the chapters short in the hope that they might get read. I could experiment with a couple longer pieces and see what happens. Thanks for reading Terry. :-)

Trée said...

I thought you would never ask. Absolutely my dear. :-)

Anonymous said...

“I like you Kyra. Please don’t ask me again.”

A bit harsh, doncha think?

Anonymous said...

when Im in ur company I'd forget abt it anyways :)

Keshi.

Trée said...

Aliens, Jack, where are their manners? Of course, he did say please. :-D

Trée said...

Keshi, I believe we would have more important priorities, and they wouldn't include words. :-)

Anonymous said...

haha yes :)

now tell me what ur brief stlye is..lol read my post.

Keshi.

Trée said...

On my way over. Oh, and boxers all the way. Boys need room to play. :-D

Anonymous said...

haha they sure do...and girls need that space too lolll!

Keshi.